No signal lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No signal lights

78 Magnum (my "new" one), tilt column. Signals don't work, not sure they did as I've only driven it a short distance home from the carrier. Drove it the other day and they were not functional. Indicator in dash doesn't come on. Fuse? Believe it's OK. Flashers work.

Thoughts?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

They still used an old style flasher unit...mechanical. Uses a bi-metalic spring to close a set contacts. So they can / do wear out.
    WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Changed that already.

Comment

Clean grounds/connections
        Change relay
        change bulbs
        Look to the switch in the steering column

All in that order. Don't forget, they used zinc coated wire or some such for that era. It was very prone to oxidation. The flashers bypass a lot, so they would work when a signal indicator would not. Had the same issue on my '78 Volare. Ignored it and one day the whole rear wiring harness refused to work ( that was a nice ticket ). The connector in the trunk had finally corroded so bad that I had to splice a new one in.

Comment

And do not rule out looking at the dash lights . Something that simple can do it . Not the lights themselves , that fuse . Btw , a bad indicator switch can be your issue too .
          All throttle , no bottle .

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy
            78 Magnum (my "new" one), tilt column. Signals don't work, not sure they did as I've only driven it a short distance home from the carrier. Drove it the other day and they were not functional. Indicator in dash doesn't come on. Fuse? Believe it's OK. Flashers work.

Thoughts?
            The emergency flasher and the directionals operate on two different fuse circuits. IIRC, the flasher is fuse cavity #2, while the directionals are fuse cavity #10.

Check the fuses with a test light to be sure they are functional, as they can appear to be okay by visual inspection, even though they are not. According to the 1979 Electrical Service Manual, the directionals are on the same circuit as the A/C clutch, back-up lamps, cornering lamps, and speed control. Are these other systems functioning?? (You DO have a factory service manual.....don't you??)
            IF NOT.....get one NOW!

I'm sure by now that you are aware that there are two flasher units, one for emergency flashers, and one for directionals. I think the directional flasher is the one mounted in the fuse block/relay bank. The hazard flasher is mounted separately under dash near instrument panel, but varies with year and model!

Comment

Turn signals use a relay?

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post

I think he meant a flasher unit, not a relay......lol!

Comment

Just discovered the issue. Aftermarket radio is jambed up against the fuseblock, ( suspecting maybe this is the issue? ) so I need to tear into it further.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post

It's not what I say, but what I meant to say when I mean it and then say it. Now get busy and take care of that thing that does that thing the guy told ya about way back when that stuff happened.

Originally posted by R-body_mopar View Post
                    I think he meant a flasher unit, not a relay......lol!
                    yeah, the tinky tink thing that makes flashy. See? Why can't Cranky understand.
                    Last edited by nonstick; 05-23-2016, 03:04 PM.

Comment

My name is Bars....not Mars

Comment

Working...
                      X