leaf spring trunk floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaf spring trunk floor

does anybody know what causes this i have only seen it on 76-79 chrysler b bodys that the leaf spring comes through the trung floor i had a 79 chrysler 300 that it happened too. i have seen it on many magnum and Cordoba it has happened too i want to avoid that happing to mine i have had other magnums that it did not happen to but i have see at least 15 of them that it happened to just want to avoid it again when it happened to my 79 300 you could still buy the frame piece from chrysler in 1989 my trunk floor is not rusty at all but neither was my 300.

yup had that on my 76 Charger SE back in like 1987
    I have seen this happen on the old full sized Dodge vans too.
    Hope my 78 Fury doesn't wind up like that.

Comment

I had this happen on a 1976 Cordoba 400 leanburn; a one owner car that had been Ziebarted when new.......

It was probably the best car and most reliable car I ever had, and I bought it used for $100., as that was "trade-in" value at the time on a new Jeep! (Remember when you could buy used cars for cheap?????.....those days are long gone!)

I blame the spring problem on the heavy use of salt in this area for winters, as this was one of the rustiest cars I have ever had, also! I think the Ziebart rustproofing and undercoat hastened the problem by holding the salt under the coating, next to the metal!

The least rusty car I ever had was a 1972 Fury I police cruiser with 440, as it had never been undercoated, and the previous owner liberally sprayed the undercarriage periodically with used drain oil, and just let it drip-dry!

Do NOT undercoat your car, just keep it clean and sprayed! JMO! :yeah that:

Comment

Wow, I've seen this happen due to rust, but I've never seen it happen on a car that was NOT rusty.
        WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
          Wow, I've seen this happen due to rust, but I've never seen it happen on a car that was NOT rusty.
          Ditto to the above! But some people's concept of "rust" differ......!

I once drove over 100 miles to look at a Mopar that had "absolutely NO rust" on the body....and, the seller was RIGHT........all the rust had already fallen off onto the ground!

Oh, I forgot to add that the seller also said that the engine runs GREAT......but, unfortunately, the starter was bad so I could not hear it run!
          Last edited by R-body_mopar; 04-14-2016, 07:37 AM.

Comment

There's no way a sheet metal floor is going to stand up to the pressure of a spring once the frame has rusted away enough to turn loose of the spring hanger....no matter how solid the floor is.

Comment

yeah that was a trip my 79 300 was almost in mint condition and it happened my magnum is not near mint condition and the only thing i keep thinking about is one day popping the trunk and bam there is the spring through the floor i had 3 other magnums and it didn't happen and those cars were not mint either. one even had air shocks on it i was just wondering if anybody knew the main cause of it so i could take steps to avoid it but it looks like its unavoidable i guess.thanks for you reply's

Comment

Should be completely avoidable. Make sure there is no rust in the pocket where the spring mounts. If there is, and it's light surface rust, kill it and seal it (with a Rust Bullet or POR 15). If it's heavy rust, you'll have to give some thought to how heavy the steel is in that area (not terribly thick), and decide for yourself if you think the body and frame are structurally compromised. If so, some repairs are in order before things get out of hand.R

Remember, B-bodies of our era were among the most favorite cars of Police departments everywhere. There cars were used HARD, driven through ditches, used to push car out of traffic, etc. We towed a travel trailer with our '78 Cordoba, using a weight distributing hitch bolted to the frame members. In good condition, this system should be plenty strong to handle most anything you will throw at it.

Note: I wouldn't run air shocks, as they are a band-aid for weak springs (9 times out of 10), and also put a weight carrying chassis load into a place not designed for it.
                WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

I believe that the spring perches are welded to the side of the frame, and as time and wear and rust work, they work loose and the only place for them to go is up, as someone said, the floor will not withstand that pressure.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

the spring perch is on its own separate little frame piece its welded to the floor board thats why when it goes through the trunk floor it peels the trunk floor back like a can it will just keep going my friend had a 76 charger that it happened to it peeled the trunk floor all the way untill the leaf spring was hitting the trunk lid it was a trip. i just dont wnt that to happen to my car it gives no warning when it does it either.

Comment

Originally posted by dodgert01 View Post
                      the spring perch is on its own separate little frame piece its welded to the floor board thats why when it goes through the trunk floor it peels the trunk floor back like a can it will just keep going my friend had a 76 charger that it happened to it peeled the trunk floor all the way untill the leaf spring was hitting the trunk lid it was a trip. i just dont wnt that to happen to my car it gives no warning when it does it either.
                      There's no reinforcement for the spring mount to anything else at all? It's just welded to the floor sheet metal? Man, that ain't no way to engineer something....

Comment

I thought those were welded to the side of the frame rail? I bought one a few years back and it had the hanger issue, guy I took it to to fix it said there's not enough meat to weld to on the frame.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-6...lh-p-2789.html kinda looks like that separate from the main frame

Comment

Working...
                          X