Opinion on Air Cleaner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on Air Cleaner

Just a quick question here. The air cleaner lid here in the picture has some rust on it and the clear currently on there is lifting on the needs to be refinished.
    So, here's the quick the question. Should I just strip the lid and shoot it with clear and then use a "Lean Burn" Decal? Or should I paint it paint it black and add a "360 Four Barrel" decal which I think is correct for this application? I will attach two pictures as a visual aid.

Unless you've gone through lots of gestures to keep the car "all original", I say go for broke and give it some pizazz.

Comment

I agree with Non.
      The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
      ~Ted Nugent

Comment

Paint it neon pink so it stands out.

OK .....Im with Non too.
        The Ultimate Mopar Fan

72,73,74 Charger- 78 Magnum- 78 Supercoupe- 80 Aspen R/T- 96 Ram- 01 Stratus R/T, 2011 Charger

Comment

Looks good with a brushed finish and clear, IMO. I could go either way the decal.
          WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

I say give it to Non and let him power coat it.. I saw some nice Naz tanks he done before
            9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Originally posted by nonstick View Post
              Unless you've gone through lots of gestures to keep the car "all original", I say go for broke and give it some pizazz.

I agree.....it's your car, do what you want.....UNLESS you want to keep it "all original"......!

Next question is: is that an original "L" code 360 police engine, and are you still running the "lean burn"??

If it is not an "L" code, it is a California/high altitude package, as the 2 bbl version could not pass emissions back then, for '78-'80.

Lot's of things can easily be done to improve performance either way....if you are not interested in it being factory original.......!

The first thing to do, if it has not already been done, is to find a Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit, and disconnect the lean burn! An older NOS kit is preferable to the new garbage out there today, probably made in China, and JUNK!

The performance distributor is already calibrated for driveability, and not necessarily for emissions or fuel mileage, as the originals were! Next step would be the Thermoquad, as they were also heavily burdened with leanness and emissions controls, but can easily be modified to work well.........very well!

Comment

Originally posted by ~~Mutt~~ View Post
                I say give it to Non and let him power coat it.. I saw some nice Naz tanks he done before
                Isn't that pronounced 'Nawz' ?

I like to personalize my cars using factory parts but after thinking about it, most of my cars were usually modified with a light mix of aftermarket stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by ~~Mutt~~ View Post
                  No can do unless you want to front some small money to start a shop. I need a blaster, compressor, coating gun and oven. Not much. I offer you 28% of the business for 75K ( wait, this isn't shark tank? Fine, 10k should do it).

I haven't coated anything in a good year and a half, honestly. Shame.... 24+ years in the industry and a bulk of it went to China and India. Plenty of medical and miltary work to do tho. Sadly, nobody left to do it.

Getting back on track...... IF it were my car and I wanted to improve while update, one could get a dual snorkel, strip/blast it down and go with a nice black wrinkle. Classy, clean, not out of place yet refined to a modern look. Do the valve covers over in original blue. Clean/dress the hoses and such. I'll take clean over flash any day.

Cleaaaaaaaan.....

Last edited by nonstick; 02-29-2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

By the looks of the engine bay not having the vacuum line attached to the computer, I would bet it was previously converted away from the lean burn system.

I know when my LB worked it ran crappy when the vacuum line was not attached.

And do whatever you like as it is your car. I removed the lean burn computer from the 5th Ave and placed a dummy panel as I was tired of lifting the extra weight when I needed to remove the air cleaner.
                    "You're only as old as the women you feel."
                    -Groucho Marx
                    Moparless for now

Comment

I'm a sucker for black wrinkle coat... I did mine in the oven in the house... The wife was not impressed!
                      "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration don't fail us now!"
                      '78 Magnum XE 400 w/ Sunroof:
                      '79 GT E-58 w/ T's

Comment

I cannot stress this enough..... NEVER cure powder-coating in an oven either enclosed space ( your kitchen ) or from an oven you wish to eat out of.

It creates isocyanate gas ( derivitive of cyanide ) and will most certainly at the least make you very ill. Birds will die first as they are most susceptible, then cats, dogs and other animals ( read : you ).

Please don't do that any more. Pick up a cheap oven and put it out in the garage. Keep a door open and fan going when you do that. Verrrrrrry dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by R-body_mopar View Post
                          I agree.....it's your car, do what you want.....UNLESS you want to keep it "all original"......!

Next question is: is that an original "L" code 360 police engine, and are you still running the "lean burn"??

If it is not an "L" code, it is a California/high altitude package, as the 2 bbl version could not pass emissions back then, for '78-'80.

Lot's of things can easily be done to improve performance either way....if you are not interested in it being factory original.......!

The first thing to do, if it has not already been done, is to find a Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit, and disconnect the lean burn! An older NOS kit is preferable to the new garbage out there today, probably made in China, and JUNK!

The performance distributor is already calibrated for driveability, and not necessarily for emissions or fuel mileage, as the originals were! Next step would be the Thermoquad, as they were also heavily burdened with leanness and emissions controls, but can easily be modified to work well.........very well!

Unless the original poster wants to answer any of the questions/opinions here......this is all a moot point!

If this forum is to work well, we ALL need to participate! JMO!

Comment

Originally posted by R-body_mopar View Post
                            Unless the original poster wants to answer any of the questions/opinions here......this is all a moot point!

If this forum is to work well, we ALL need to participate! JMO!
                            Sorry for the delay. I've been swapped with personal life stuff. Anyways, I have something different in mind I may want to do. I wanted to stay thank you for all the responses thus far. Anyways, the car is fairly close to original. The car does not have Lean Burn. In fact, it was a K-code car which means a 360 2bbl. Anyways, a long time ago the car was converted from LB to Mopar Electronic Ignition. All the parts from a 4BBL Cordoba were robbed minus the intake. It is an Edelbrock Performer. The car has a 340 "resto" camshaft and the car has 2.5 dual exhaust. Everything else minus the radio is stock.

Comment

Maybe it is time to swap out the 2.4 gears in the rear end.
                              1975 Charger SE E68 323
                              1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
                              1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
                              1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

Working...
                              X