k frame needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k frame needed

does anybody have a k frame for a 1978 dodge magnum mine is shot at the rear on the driver side im in Milwaukee,WI man this sucks just were it mounts in the frame at the mounting point in the rear on the driver side other wise its perfect.

Welcome to Style, dodgert01!!

You should check with Magnumguy, Bill, on this site......he probably has one, OR knows where to get one near you!

Comment

Think it might be easier to just weld in a good piece from an otherwise bad K frame instead of doing a swap? Might can even do the job without completely pulling out yours.....

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
        Think it might be easier to just weld in a good piece from an otherwise bad K frame instead of doing a swap? Might can even do the job without completely pulling out yours.....

I was thinking the same thing myself. Pulling the K-frame is a lot of work! And now would be a good time to upgrade to solid mounts, and eliminate the iso crap! It would tighten up the car considerably, and there are a few other mods that can easily be done to improve handling and performance, for not a lot of money.

I guess we need to hear more about the car, and what engine and equipment it has, and what has been done so far! There may be a difference in K-frames between small and big block engines, too.....not sure?? Those Magnums are excellent cars when upgraded to HD police equipment, if not already installed!

Comment

i just got the car and when i went to look at it i didnt see it then. i was looking more at the frame and floor boards and trunk floor which are perfect when i got the car home and put it up on jack stands thats when i noticed the k-frame in the corner where it mounts to the frame is almost gone right where the rubber mounts to the frame. plus i do want to get rid of the rubber mounts were do you get the solid mounts from.
          Last edited by dodgert01; 12-19-2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dodgert01 View Post
            i just got the car and when i went to look at it i didnt see it then. i was looking more ant the frame and floor boards and trunk floor which are perfect when i got the car home and put it up on jack stands thats when i noticed the k-frame in the corner where it mounts to the frame is almost gone right where the rubber mounts to the frame. plus i do want to get rid of the rubber mounts were do you get the solid mounts from.

Good to hear back from you! Check with CudaZappa here on Moparstyle; he used to make the solid isolators, and may be able to supply you, or point to another source. He is also a good source of info on upgrades of suspension on the M and late B body cars, as he has had both, and used to autocross them.

I probably have some NOS Mopar parts such as HD police brake pads, 100 amp alternator, rear sway bar (used), etc. to fit your car, if interested. I had several police R-body cars over the years, and many of the HD parts interchange with Magnums!

P.S.: We need pictures.....and more info about your car!

Comment

Welcome, and I'm here to save the day (I hope).

PM me and I'll give you my contact info, we must chat. I know of some folks who might have what you need and alternatives

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

the car has front and rear sway bars and a 9 1/4 rear which i found kinda odd for a 360-2bbl car, well it has a 318 4bbl in it now it has a non lean burn carter thermo quad on it now not a big fan of those carbs love Holley carbs the car is a non lean burn car thank god!must of been a rebuilt 318 because i found a circle warranty slug on the driver side head freeze plug voiding warranty if removed i used to work at a engine shop 20 years ago, god am i old we put the same tag on our rebuilt motors also. i really want to stick a 360 or if you want to pc a 5.9 magnum motor out of a mid to late 90s truck found plenty of articles on what to do to swap it in doesn't look hard at all like to add some gt fender flares to it also.
                Last edited by dodgert01; 12-19-2015, 12:34 PM.

Comment

You need a small block K-frame. Good news is that they are more common and found up until 1981 in R-bodies. Be careful of the early ones (73-74) as some of those don't have the gussets for the front sway bar. See Firm Feel ( www.firmfeel.com )for the solid k frame mounts. They aren't cheap, but then again, nothing quality made in the USA is these days. Your rear end and rear sway is because you have the trailer towing option. Good deal if you don't want a slug around town. You'll buzz a few more rpms on the highway, but that's what tall rear tires are for. If you are going to keep it a carbureted cruiser, there is no real good reason, in my opinion, to switch to a magnum. The 89-91 360s came with TBI, really good heads, and roller cams (can swap to flat tappet, or keep it roller).
                  1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
                  2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by dodgert01 View Post
                    the car has front and rear sway bars and a 9 1/4 rear which i found kinda odd for a 360-2bbl car, well it has a 318 4bbl in it now it has a non lean burn carter thermo quad on it now not a big fan of those carbs love Holley carbs the car is a non lean burn car thank god!must of been a rebuilt 318 because i found a circle warranty slug on the driver side head freeze plug voiding warranty if removed i used to work at a engine shop 20 years ago, god am i old we put the same tag on our rebuilt motors also. i really want to stick a 360 or if you want to pc a 5.9 magnum motor out of a mid to late 90s truck found plenty of articles on what to do to swap it in doesn't look hard at all like to add some gt fender flares to it also.

Thanks to CudaZappa for the info! As he said, your car was probably ordered with a trailer tow package; do you have the oil cooler and transmission cooler, also P/S cooler?? Also, the 100 amp alternator! All worthwhile additions, if not equipped!

The thermoquad is a VERY good carb, when set up correctly, as it provides fairly good fuel economy, as well as more high speed performance when the secondaries are summoned! It is very important to follow ALL of the external adjustments in ORDER with the manual, as each depends on the previous setting being correct!

See here for a good tutorial:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/L.../290/index.htm

As CZ said, a good carbureted 360 would be adequate for your use.

An important thing to do is to have a properly calibrated distributor, such as a Mopar Performance (Direct Connection) distributor, as the stock dist curve is pretty sluggish, more for fuel economy and emissions control than for performance;there is a world of difference between the two!! I have a used one, if you are interested???
                    (Beware of the newer electronic ignition kits on the market today, as they are rumored to have numerous problems.) I have installed many older DC kits in the past, and NEVER had a problem with any of them!!

For the GT fender flares, again contact Magnumguy, if you have not already; he is the guru of Magnums on this site.....and elsewhere!

Comment

I'm a Holley fan too but mostly with the DP's but so far, my best running street car was a 71 340 with the factory TQ. I got 17 in town with 3.55 gears and most here know I'm not real nice to my cars but if you stay out of the secondaries, they will reward you with great mileage. It also held a tune way longer than any Holley I ever had. Key is learning how to tune one and that's not all that hard to do but having the tool to adjust the secondary air door is very helpful.

Comment

CudaZappa is right it must of been for towing because it has a trailer hitch on it.they welded everything to the frame. not a bad idea with going with a 89-91 360. the rear end has 3:21 gear ratio found the tag on the rear end im not really to concerned about fuel economy because im only going to drive it in the summer here thats why im going to go with a holley very easy for me to tune i cant tune a carter to save my life. i don't see any coolers anywhere like on my 1979 300 it had coolers everywhere. this is my 4th magnum 3rd one with t-tops this car needs work but its fixable the 318 runs great im going to fix the body first well i have to fix the k-frame first then im going to do a 360 for it it only has a 904 trans i have a 727 that came extra with the car i put some pics up of it when it gets a little warmer out its in my friends garage.
                        Last edited by dodgert01; 12-20-2015, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X