78-79 Magnum weather strips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78-79 Magnum weather strips

I am looking for anyone that has replaced their Magnum weatherstrip and found success. I am in the process of putting my car back together and will need to replace all the rubber weather strip. Trunk, T-Tops and doors - any info towards manufacturer , model numbers etc.. would be helpful. Thank you

On here somewhere is an article by a gentleman who did his t-tops seals, trunk seal's show up on Ebay from time to time, as well as the door seals. If/when I see them, I'll post here.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Trunk weather strip

http://www.moparstyle.com/forums/sho...t-Finally-quot

Comment

I had seen your post already on the trunk and found the weather strip on Amazon. Did you have any luck with the door or T-tops?

Comment

Originally posted by magnumfan
          I am looking for anyone that has replaced their Magnum weatherstrip and found success. I am in the process of putting my car back together and will need to replace all the rubber weather strip. Trunk, T-Tops and doors - any info towards manufacturer , model numbers etc.. would be helpful. Thank you
          Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
          On here somewhere is an article by a gentleman who did his t-tops seals, trunk seal's show up on Ebay from time to time, as well as the door seals. If/when I see them, I'll post here.
          Originally posted by magnumfan View Post
          I had seen your post already on the trunk and found the weather strip on Amazon. Did you have any luck with the door or T-tops?

Does this offer any help???? I have never done this before, but this article was published here by a member quite a while ago; I do not know if any of these parts are still available! Do you have a 1978-1979 Master Parts Book? Some of these door/trunk/window parts may still be available NOS, as the Cordoba should be the same for '75-'79, and they made tons of them; you may just need to look up the original part numbers, and do a search!

http://www.magnumgt.com/t-top-seal-replacement/

Comment

R-Body_mopar - It is a nice read but old at this point. I am not having any luck finding the seals just yet but I will keep looking with the knowledge from the article. Once I am finished putting this car back together I will reference all the part numbers with where i picked up the parts so everyone can find it in one location. It seems weird that no one has put anything together that reference these repairs that is up to date to help those trying to repair them now.

Comment

R-Body_mopar - It is a nice read but old at this point. I am not having any luck finding the seals just yet but I will keep looking with the knowledge from the article. Once I am finished putting this car back together I will reference all the part numbers with where i picked up the parts so everyone can find it in one location. It seems weird that no one has put anything together that reference these repairs that is up to date to help those trying to repair them now.
              I agree; it is getting harder and harder to find information on these forgotten vehicles, as there are so few left.....and fewer people still that try to restore and repair them!!

I no longer have any Mopars, although I worked at a Mopar dealership for 16 years, and am quite familiar with repair procedures, etc. But they are quite expensive to repair, as NOS parts are quite scarce, and there are not enough of them out there to warrant reproduction pieces for commonly needed wear items.

I still have a few NOS Mopar parts, but mostly mechanical items, like police brakes, 100 amp alternator, Pitman arm, idler arm, etc.

Good luck in your project!

Comment

Can't help with T tops but I got my window seals here:
                http://metrommp.com/?f=product_list_...E&Model=MAGNUM

Comment

Darlantan - Thank you - I saw those and I am tempted however do you know if the seals work with T-Tops as well?

Comment

Darlantan - Thank you - I saw those and I am tempted however do you know if the seals work with T-Tops as well?
                    Sorry, like I said no T top experience.

Comment

Daveo50 - I am looking to replace the weatherstrip on my Magnum. You mentioned 6.8 seals on your article but I can not seem to find any relationship to the 6.8 seal Do you have any other part numbers to work with.

The seals I used were made for the T-Tops used on Mustangs. The 6.8 refers to the diameter of the surgical tubing used inside the felt material. I don't think you will find the seals using the 6.8 seal designator. Try looking for seals that are made for the Mustangs and you may have better luck. I had included the source I used to buy the seals from in my article, I'm not sure if they can still provide the parts as I wrote the article about 11 or 12 years ago.

I can try and help you locate the parts. Just be careful as some T-Top seals used on other cars will not be compatible. The 6.8 seals was all the information I had and that is what they were called on the invoice.

Here are a couple of links that may help you, you may have to do a cut and paste to get the links to work. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-54780A-K2/1...atherstrip-Kit While this company provides a total kit for Mustangs the part you want is called the "Beaded Felt Weatherstrip". It looks like the Mustang T-Tops you would be interested in are from 1981 to 1984. Make sure you locate the felt seals and don't mistake them for T-Top to Body Seals which are rubber. http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...Rubber/top.htm is a company that sells Mustang parts, it's probably worth a call to them to find out if they sell them or if they have a source. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-1988-Mu...dU5Mml&vxp=mtr This is an ebay auction that look like the part you need. Measure the length of the old seal and make certain this is long enough. It looks like part of the seal has been cut out, you would want to avoid that if all possible as that part of the seal is whats used to glue it in place. It's actually cheaper than what I paid back in 2003. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-50080/1981-...t-Weatherstrip This looks like just the beaded part you need, has the same cutouts as the one on ebay. I found an article on a Mustang site describing the replacement and the Ford part number is ;
                      E1ZZ-6650080-A (two required). It looks like they were riveted in place on the Mustangs.

This is all I could come up with, hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions and how the job goes!

Regards,

Dave

PS - Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I couldn't get onto this site. Finally figured it out..... a modem reset! This was the only site I couldn't access. Live and learn! I thought I'd add it in case anyone else was looking for these seals.
                      Original owner --- 1978 Dodge Magnum XE

Comment

"Darlantan - Thank you - I saw those and I am tempted however do you know if the seals work with T-Tops as well?"

My window seals were all in good shape. But everything is different when T-Tops are involved. Part of the window seal comes out with the roof panel so I'm of the mind that they are not the same. In other words, I don't believe you are not going to get away with buying a regular window seal and cutting it to fit. FWIW my T-Tops leaked from when the car was new whenever I ran it through an automatic car wash. I stopped doing that many years ago so it's not an issue now. But even today the window seals do not leak when I get caught in a rain storm.

Comment

I saw an auction on ebay for a set of t tops. Do a search for Mopar T Tops. Once you find the auction send the guy a message and tell him you need the 2 locking pin plates and see if he will sell those to you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-MoP...2lA11A&vxp=mtr

Comment

Hi Dave 05, long time no chat!!

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
                              Hi Dave 05, long time no chat!!
                              Hi Bill: Nice to hear from you, it has been a long time. I have a group of grandkids that are keeping me pretty busy! I tried sending you a PM but your mailbox is full. Tried a couple of emails when I had trouble accessing this site..... I've read you are pretty busy.

I am looking for an XE fender badge. It seems the XE emblem fell off the badge when my car was at that shop. Hope things are going well.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X