Considering A Late B with a 318

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering A Late B with a 318

Just wondering if these drive similar with a 318 to say an M-Body Chrysler Fifth Avenue? I just sold an 84 Chrysler Fifth Avenue with 96k miles. The Fifth Avenue had 2.26 gears and was mainly stock except for the 2 1/4 single exhaust and Canadian Y-pipe thank you.

Actually I would expect it to ride a bit smoother as the wheelbase is a little longer (provider everything is in good shape). When I had my '88 5th and my '67 Coronet, the Coronet rode a little smoother due to the wheelbase. I am looking (ok, just not hard enough) for another B or F/J/M in decent enough shape to make as a driver. They handle about the same. Front end is a little longer than the "M" was.
    "You're only as old as the women you feel."
    -Groucho Marx
    Moparless for now

Comment

i have a Diplomat that rides nice, but a Magnum does run a hair smoother. About same performance.
      Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
      Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
      Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I would using the car just to cruise around in. This Late B with a 318 popped so I figure why not. It has A/C too which is a bonus for me. A big block would be nice but, whatever comes my way I suppose.

Comment

Thanks BK, that's kind of what I figured since the "highest" gear in a late B as far as I know is a 2.45 ratio. I also have a chance to buy a Mirada with a 360 but, no A/C. I liked the A/C in my old Fifth Avenue.

Comment

You can always change the engine later. A/C is a must for me.
            "You're only as old as the women you feel."
            -Groucho Marx
            Moparless for now

Comment

Steve?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

I could have sworn that MaryAnn had a 2.90 in the 9.25 rear end. But it does have trailer towing. I think my GT had at least a 2.90, maybe a 3.23.

My big block has a has a 3.55 Suregrip in a 72 Charger 8.75, but I put it there.
                Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
                Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
                Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

For what it's worth....

I have driven almost all Mopars from the '60's to the '80's, and I consider the '79 300 or the '79-80 R-body police E-58 4dr to be the best of all of them, both in ride and handling;the 360 is not as good as the old BB engines (383, 400, 440), but it does the job, and is about as good as it gets in that period. The only other exception might be the late B 440 police cars, (Fury/Monaco) '77-'78, but these are hard to come by, and probably non-existent in the rust belt....lol!
                  (AND....they don't handle worth a darn!)

The important thing to remember is that it is necessary to upgrade ANY of these cars with ALL of the available POLICE/TRAILER TOW options, as the stock suspension and equipment is really not up to snuff.....!!!! JMO!!

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
                    Steve?
                    Yes, its me Bill lol.

Comment

Thank you BK. I'm okay with 2.45 or even 2.7x ratios as I drive highway anyways. I really like the 2.76 gears I had in a 68 B-Body.

Comment

OK, I was going to tell you about that one in VA., but we've covered that ground

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Thank you again Bill. I ended up with a 79 Cordoba with a 360 basically built up to 79 300 specs. Plus I got a bunch of parts to go with the car. I practically have a whole interior to redo the car plus, a lot more.

Comment

Congratulations on the purchase! Have any pictures?
                            WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Originally posted by magnumminded View Post
                              Thank you again Bill. I ended up with a 79 Cordoba with a 360 basically built up to 79 300 specs. Plus I got a bunch of parts to go with the car. I practically have a whole interior to redo the car plus, a lot more.

Congrats on the new car, Steve!

Tell us more about the Cordoba, and what has been upgraded?.........lot's of stuff you can do to improve on the 'Doba, to get it to police/HD specs.....AND......I MAY have some parts for you, some NOS Mopar!

Where are you located??? AND.....we NEED pics......lol!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X