1978 Cordoba Passenger Power Window issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Cordoba Passenger Power Window issue

So - the passengers power window just slides up and down by hand - it wont stay up, it slips down while driving and you can pull it almost all the way up and push it all the way down. The power window motor runs, but when it does, it makes a clunking/thunking type of sound. I have taken off the door panel and I cannot see anything obvious. Any ideas? Do I need a new motor or a new gear or?

Thanks for your input!

The gears in the drive are "gone" or worn out. I think the gear's on the motor, either buy a rebuilt motor or you can purchase those gears on ePay. Or of course you could buy a used p/w motor.

Welcome BTW
    Last edited by Magnumguy; 05-19-2015, 01:06 PM.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Oh, can you hear the motor "whir" when you push your window button?

Comment

Yes, the motor does 'whir' -
        Thanks for the welcome

Comment

Yep, classic worn/broken gears. Fixable. Check ebay under Mopar Power Window and see what comes up.

Comment

Thank you! What is the best way to get the motor out? It seems like there isn't enough room or sightlines to open it up and replace the gear while it is still in the door -

Comment

Like most power window cars, it's not easy to get it out plus it's probably riveted in place. You just have to hold your mouth just right to get it out but it will come out. So far, I've never had to cut any sheet metal to get a motor out but I've never pulled one from a Doba but I can't see why it would be any different than all the other Chrysler cars and trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Khan
                So - the passengers power window just slides up and down by hand - it wont stay up, it slips down while driving and you can pull it almost all the way up and push it all the way down. The power window motor runs, but when it does, it makes a clunking/thunking type of sound. I have taken off the door panel and I cannot see anything obvious. Any ideas? Do I need a new motor or a new gear or?

Thanks for your input!
                Originally posted by Khan View Post
                Thank you! What is the best way to get the motor out? It seems like there isn't enough room or sightlines to open it up and replace the gear while it is still in the door -
                Welcome to Style, Khan!

My first advice is to find a FACTORY service manual for your car; this is the best investment you can make, and they are still reasonable on the market used, due mostly to tons of dealerships going out of business.....!

By FACTORY, I mean the genuine original manuals issued to dealership tech service departments, and NOT the generic manuals like Motors, Haynes, etc., as they are too vague in descriptions, and usually cover too many years, models, etc.

As a former Mopar dealer tech/shop foreman, I did not experience much hands-on in power window repair, but, if I recall, you can get seriously injured by the spring mechanism used to help assist in window raising/lowering; it is imperative that you follow the manual exactly when attempting this repair, as the glass is heavy, and the springs are strong! We would hate to lose a new member to a disability.....

A very quick search of Ebay shows this set for 1978:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-78-CHR...3a0013&vxp=mtr

You may be able to find a better deal, if you search a bit more, though!
                Last edited by R-body_mopar; 05-21-2015, 07:31 AM. Reason: Add info!

Comment

Thanks - that is indeed the set I have. I believe there is one bolt and then some rivets. I am wondering if there is any way to make the repair without drilling out the factory rivets? The manual doesn't have the best illustrations -

Comment

I've done a couple of power window motors over the years in different Chrysler vehicles and the rivet isn't hard to drill out and it's much easier to just go ahead and do that than it is to try and fix the problems with it all still in the door. IIRC, it's aluminum. I found a stainless steel fastener in my stash of stuff to put it back together. It may look difficult but it's really not...

Comment

Been so long, but doesn't the motor just unbolt and the gear(s) is on the motor itself?

Comment

Yes, it looks like the motor unbolts, but there are rivets to be drilled out as well. It also looks like there may be some type of tension spring or ? I am concerned about that maybe getting loose and cracking the window -

Comment

Does this description help? Allows the removal of the motor without the regulator. Note: No photos accompany this procedure in the manual.

WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Khan View Post
                            Yes, it looks like the motor unbolts, but there are rivets to be drilled out as well. It also looks like there may be some type of tension spring or ? I am concerned about that maybe getting loose and cracking the window -

The window has a VERY strong counterbalance spring to assist in lifting the window (it is HEAVY!); if any parts are damaged or worn in the mechanism, it will be necessary to remove the entire regulator assembly, not just the motor/gear! Failure to block the window from moving either up or down can result in severe injury from the spring.

And, by the way, the window glass will not "crack", it will explode in a million pieces if shattered! (Tempered glass!)

As I stated above, I am not very familiar with this procedure, so be VERY careful, and read ALL instructions carefully! :yeah that: Did I mention that serious injury could result????

Comment

Thank you for all your input - I am diving in!

Now where did I put that hammer...

Comment

Working...
                              X