Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

power window installation - wiring help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power window installation - wiring help!

I am replacing the crank Windows in my 76 Cordoba with power windows from another 76 doba. I have installed the motors and regulators. Run the wires, but now I am stuck. I have the correct wiring (from a 79 doba), relay, circuit breaker and switches. I can't make heads or tales out of the wiring diagram in the manual. Is someone able (hopefully with a diagram) walk me through the wiring. The spaghetti under the dash is just daunting!

As always, thanks for any help.

Well, I'll try to help. Let's start by noting that you are working with '76 parts, a '79 harness, and I'm going to show you '77 Factory Service Manual (FSM) information. Hopefully that does not confuse matters more.

Let's start with those '77 FSM diagrams.

Here's the 2 dr. power window system overview.

Hopefully this looks like the book you are working from.

(FYI...if you can't read some of these, and want to be able to, send me an PM with your email address, and I'll email the photos to you).

A little closer look ay page 49 (left hand page) and page 50 (right hand page) of that overview.

Page 49...

...and page 50.

On these two pages, you have the bulk of the power window system. The motors, switches and connecters are all shown.

You'll notice on the left hand edge of page 49, it says "To Power Assist System. See Page 48".

Here's page 48.

This page is called the Power Assist System, because unlike pages 49 and 50, which contain P/W info. only, this page shows part of circuit that is shared between the power windows and the power seats (if equipped). Thus, Power Assist System. This page shows the origins of the circuit, starting with the charging system itself in the upper left corner.

Part of what can be confusing about these drawings is all the markings on the wires. Let's look at one.

In this example, H4 is the circuit number. H is the main circuit number, the 4 is a PART OF the main circuit. So think of it as branch 4 of circuit H. The 12 BK means this wire is 12 gauge, and is BLACK (BK). A table at the front of the section explains all the wire colors. There is also a legend for the symbols (lamps, resistors, etc), a guide to the circuit identification codes we just talks about (H4 12BK), etc.

So with those drawings, and knowing how to read the circuit number / wire gauges and colors, you should be able to lay out on the shop floor the parts you have, and identify them.

If some of this still does not make sense to you, just ask, and we'll all try to clarify this further.
    WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Thanks Dave

Luckily, I have a 76,77 AND 78 electrical manual. So I can reference these in person.

Where I am getting confused is wiring the harness into the power grid (either the fuse box or bulkhead connection) there is just so much going on there.

I will try laying out on the floor and see if I can get my head around it. I will let you know as I get into it.

Thanks
      Joe

Comment

Well, first try was a bust! I wish there was a diagram that showed the wiring from beginning to end instead of breaking it out. These diagrams make it difficult to pull together the information I need.

BTW, the 77 manual is the best of the three I have.

I will keep you posted as I move forward.

Meanwhile, if anyone has a diagram showing the entire window set up, it would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by chykov's76doba View Post
          Where I am getting confused is wiring the harness into the power grid (either the fuse box or bulkhead connection) there is just so much going on there.
          Joe
          Joe,

Look at that page 48 drawing. In the upper left corner, it says "To Charging System (see Page 4)". That's the beginning of the circuit on the B+ (battery voltage) side. According to that, you should find circuit A1, a 12 gauge red wire, leading to a connector body with three ports in it, which is itself molded in red (if I'm understanding that right). According to the notes, it will be in the area of the bulkhead connector (interior? exterior? I'm not sure). Looks like it accepts the round, "bullet" style terminals. So if you have that entire '79 harness, it should "end" at one of those bullet terminals on a red 12 gauge wire....which ties into a circuit breaker....then to a relay...etc. You can trace it back.

When you mentioned you had a '79 harness, I was a little hesitant, as so many little things changed in '79. You wouldn't suspect it, being the last year of the b-body, but there were a lit of system changes. On a hunch, I went and looked at my '79 manual. As I suspected, the colors are different for sure. Here are the two pages that seemed most relevant. Hope they help.

WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Thanks Dave

I will give it another go tomorrow or over the weekend.

I will keep you posted.

Happy New Year

Joe

Comment

Got them working! It was a pain in the butt running the wire!

Dave, thanks for your help! Had I not referenced the 77 manual I wouldn't have figured it out!

But as things seem to go on this project, one problem gets done and another pops up! I was lowering the drivers side window and what do you know, it won't go up. Well, the regulator motor gear is stripped! One is on order, so hopefully I will get it taken care of over the weekend.

I guess these things are what make these projects fun.

Comment

That's great news. Congratulations!

On the gear, well, better to find out now, right?

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Working...
                X