X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BK
    started a topic Pulled out of Ginger

Pulled out of Ginger

Some of you remember that I bought a warmed over street/strip motor from Cranky about 13 years ago and dropped it in my Magnum.

I had a motor mount go out and had Dallas replace both Sides. In the process a header bolt broke, and the oil dipstick (in tight behind spool mount) got knocked out. It was also noticed that a bolt going through the Performer intake into the head was pushing a helicoil into an exhaust port. The paint was also coming off and the engine bay was dirty, so we decided to just yank the damn thing, clean the engine bay, clean and repaint the engine, and and replace the ported 906 heads with some aluminum heads.

I feel like I know my way around race motors, but not as much with street motors, so I have a couple Questions after a few more photos.

• BK
    replied
    Bought this from Summit Pro Shop

Edelbrock 60925 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Heads
    Edelbrock 8591 - Edelbrock Head Bolt Kits
    Trick Flow Specialties TFS-9005 - Trick Flow® Adjustable Pushrod Length Checkers
    PRW BB Mopar 383-440 1.6 Ratio Aluminum Shaft Mount Roller Rocker Arms Kit

Leave a comment:

• wa3ra
    replied
    Hi, Dave!

Ginger still makes me drool!

The flat spot in the mount faces the block and pan. It helps to flatten off the dipstick tube a little to make it fit 'flush' (sort of...) The dipstick will be a little difficult to line up because you won't be able to just jab it in.

I always prefer studs over bolts.

Decent rollers aren't that expensive, just get the standard quality, not the purpose built race parts.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Originally posted by Trannyman View Post
    I can't help at all, but when I read the title of "Pulled out of Ginger" I was thinking something totally different.
    That thought crossed my mind too but I remember BK having a car named Ginger but actually, my very first thought was Ginger of Gilligan's Island lol You know that she's 80 now!?

Leave a comment:

• Trannyman
    replied
    I can't help at all, but when I read the title of "Pulled out of Ginger" I was thinking something totally different.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    You can use regular head bolts but you need to use hardened steel washers with them and need to do the same with studs too. Just make sure the bolts will be long enough if you used composition gaskets too. IIRC, that engine had hydraulics in it. Really can't/shouldn't use stock type rockers with solids and yeah, roller lifters are better and you don't have to worry about cam break in with them. Also, imo, roller rockers are a waste of money unless you're going with a real big cam. And how do you have an intake bolt going into an exhaust port? That engine came out of a 70 T/A Challenger that was built as a drag car although it wasn't radical. IIRC, he was running mid 12's or so....? but I think a buddy of mine built the engine. 13+ years ago is a long time to remember stuff lol

Leave a comment:

• ~~Mutt~~
    replied
    Head studs are always good to go with until you have to yank a head and a million things are in the way for the heads to come off if there is an issue

Leave a comment:

• BK
    replied
    I've never used Edelbrock Performer Heads before.

1. Would I be better going with head studs (like race motors) than bolts?
    2. I suspect that I have hydraulic lifters over solid, but not sure. Is there an easy well to tell without pulling one to look at?
    3. Obviously there are stamped rockers. Is there any advantage going to roller if the lifters are hyd?
    4. If roller lifters are an advantage, what is a good value on quality roller rocker? I don't feel like I need Harland Sharp, Jessel, or TD Machine - but I don't want to yes China shit like Proform.

Leave a comment:

• BK
    replied
    Now that I'm looking at the photo, I'm wondering if it is just a matter of clocking the flat side of spool parallel to the block that will give enough room.

Leave a comment:

• BK
    replied
    Ok, so my first question gas to do with the oil dip stick.

The car is a 78, and in 75 Mopar made some big changes to the K-Frame and the mounts were spool type. The oil dip stick hole is behind the back (larger) spool and the is no room for any of the available hard dipsticks on the market or even the flexible Lokar (base is too big for the shall flap between the block and spool). I suspect the reason the dipstick (mangled) virtually fell out was it never was correctly installed in the first place, and the installation of the spool mount started it on the road of the condition it was was found in.

So here are my Questions:

1. Is the mount installed correctly? It is the same way the old one was found, and Dallas feel s like get saw a diagram showing it us right?

2. Is the dipstick hole where is should be? The stock motor this one replaced is long gone, and I think this 400ci block is a 71 or 72. Did they move the hole by 78?

3. Is there a special dip stick for the spool mount cars and if so where can I get one?

4. If there something obvious to you in these photos we might be missing?

Leave a comment:

• gsmagnum
    replied
    It's nice to see Ginger getting a bit of love.

Leave a comment:

• BK
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X