Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate post sorry

Comment

i switched my 360 from a 2 to a 4 barrel and had to have some "mopar guy" tinker with my kickdown linkage. If you go to a reverse pattern manual valve body you don't need it anymore.

Comment

Doesn't need to be a reverse pattern, any manual valve body can eliminate the kick down.

However, my impression was that he was interested in just crisper shifts of a shift kit and not going to a manual VB.
        Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
        Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
        Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Originally posted by R-body_mopar View Post
          Sluggo, read this.....it may help.

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic....&highlight=904

As I said before, I am not a transmission expert, but it should not be hard to eliminate the lock-up in the valve body, as it is hydraulicly controlled, not electronic. Mopar sent out NUMEROUS Technical Service Bulletins on controling the lockup back in 1978-80, as they had a bad habit of shudder when locking, and many transmssions were ruined by torque converter clutch wear material circulating throughout the entire transmisson.

That said, I still think your problem is an incorrectly adjusted throttle pressure rod; this NEEDS to be corrected, or you will quickly destroy your transmission! Your 400 was originally a 2bbl, now 4bbl?? The throttle cable/pressure bracket is different, I believe, for the 4bbl (at least they are on the 360). You will possibly have to modify the bracket and linkage to achieve proper throttle pressure adjustment.

Do you have a FACTORY service manual for the correct procedure to do this??? Any time a carb/manifold swap is made, this needs to be done! Correct shift speeds at light throttle, level ground, are generally considered to be 1-2 at 15-17 mph., and 2-3 at 25-27 mph. I am not sure just how your rear end swap to 3.55 will affect shift speeds, as that was not a ratio that was readily available in 1978; I think the police/trailer tow ratio was 3.21/3.23.

Another thought: If you have changed the rear end ratio, your speedometer reading will be WAY OFF.....have you corrected this?

The car was originally a lean burn 400 4bbl. I put the carb and manifold on sixteen years ago and the kickdown always worked fine. Unless something happened internally, I don't see why now all of a sudden it wouldn't be adjusted right(?)

Two years ago I changed the rearend from the 8 1/4 2.45 sure grip to an 8 3/4 3.55 sure grip from a '71 road runner. (I did do a post about that). Yes, the speedometer is way off. Yes, the torque converter was now staying locked too long and shuddering. Other than that the car ran and shifted good. I remember reading a post here about the TransGo shift improver kit including a ball or spring that eliminated the lock-up. I would like to eliminate the lock up, or have it not stay locked so long.

The 2-3 shift problem just happened this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggo View Post
            The car was originally a lean burn 400 4bbl. I put the carb and manifold on sixteen years ago and the kickdown always worked fine. Unless something happened internally, I don't see why now all of a sudden it wouldn't be adjusted right(?)

Two years ago I changed the rearend from the 8 1/4 2.45 sure grip to an 8 3/4 3.55 sure grip from a '71 road runner. (I did do a post about that). Yes, the speedometer is way off. Yes, the torque converter was now staying locked too long and shuddering. Other than that the car ran and shifted good. I remember reading a post here about the TransGo shift improver kit including a ball or spring that eliminated the lock-up. I would like to eliminate the lock up, or have it not stay locked so long.

The 2-3 shift problem just happened this year.

The kickdown linkage may have slipped in adjustment.....have you checked it per service manual??? You mentioned that you had a competant transmission guy who could work on it for you.....what does he say???

And, did you read this for disabling lockup??

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic....&highlight=904

From what I read about the TransGo kits is that the TF-1 kit does little to nothing that would affect lockup, but I would check with TransGo by phone and ask them; they must have a technical hotline??

The torque converter is now "locked too long"??......please describe; diagnosis by internet is almost impossible, as I have not driven the car, and have no idea what may have been done to it over the past 40 years.......???

Comment

Working...
            X