Brake Issues / 78 Magnum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Issues / 78 Magnum

Installed new calipers (well, rebuilt) and new hoses on a 78 Magnum. It seems like the brakes aren't releasing as the should, as the wheels are very hard to turn when I lift them off the ground. (was thinking I had another problem).

Any clue as to what might be holding them up? Rears seem to be fine at this point.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Originally posted by Magnumguy
    Installed new calipers (well, rebuilt) and new hoses on a 78 Magnum. It seems like the brakes aren't releasing as the should, as the wheels are very hard to turn when I lift them off the ground. (was thinking I had another problem).

Any clue as to what might be holding them up? Rears seem to be fine at this point.
    Bill, first thing that comes to mind is if you have done anything with the booster; there is an adjustment on the pushrod at the back of the booster; it may be too tight!

Do you have any hissing noise when the pedal is depressed? And, if you shut the engine off, do you still have 2-3 stops with power assist in reserve AFTER the engine is off? ALL of the R-body police cars I had (10" booster") had bad boosters I had to replace....they all rotted through the back of the booster against the firewall, as water goes down there between the firewall and booster, and collects in the sponge gasket.....!

Did you use steel piston calipers, or phenolic?? I ALWAYS used steel, as I had mucho problems with plastic pistons...... And be sure the slides are clean and lubed, as the calipers like to hang up if they are rusty!

Have you tried cracking a line at the master cylinder, to relieve excess hydraulic pressure? This could tell you if the problem is hydraulic or mechanical........

I'm not sure if I missed anything else here, but hoses would be suspect....BUT, you have replaced them.....so??

Oh, yeah; what kind of pads did you use??? They may be too thick for the available space, if they are not factory NOS....just a thought!

Comment

Brake booster action seems fine. No noted hissing sounds, this car's quiet so it'd be easier to detect. Steel pistons. Shoes were not new, just used the old ones as they had quite a bit of pad left. I did get a "spit" when I released the bleeder valve on the pass side. Driver's didn't but both were "tight" if you will.

Did I mention that I had a difficult time getting them to bleed when all was replaced? I had left one line loose and it siphoned out the resevoir in the mc.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Recheck the calipers..if the old pistons were reused there's a really good chance they are your problem.
        Also if the seal groove was not cleaned properly and there's any rust behind the seal it will cause the piston not to return properly..

Comment

I'd check to make sure there's no "pinch" in the hoses anywhere. I'd also re-bleed all the lines. My .02 cents worth...
          "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration don't fail us now!"
          '78 Magnum XE 400 w/ Sunroof:
          '79 GT E-58 w/ T's

Comment

Working...
          X