K frames

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K frames

I have a 79 300 that a previous owner swapped a 400 into. They made some cuts in the K frame for oil pan clearance but did not appear to do any modifications to the motor mount ears. My question is, are the ears for the mounts the same height and position on a big and small block K frame and the only difference in the frames is the the shape of the center section for the pan clearance? I tried to find pictures and measurements of the 2 different K frames but haven't had any luck. Before I pulled the motor, with the exception of the cuts it seemed the motor was sitting in sitting just fine and I think using factory motor mounts. I want to have the cuts they made cleaned up and a piece welded in to close the frame back up so crud doesn't collect in it. For all I know it could be a big block frame and they motor had the wrong oil pan on. Any help would be appreciated

I don't know this for sure -- but my guess is that the motor mount positions would be different because the block's shape is different.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

What does the oil pan look like?

Comment

IIRC, the K's are different for a big block because of the mounts. The early cars (pre 73?) used biscuit type mounts but just used different brackets and all you needed to do was swap out the brackets to make a big block fit in where a small block used to live.

Comment

Here is a picture of the frame, sorry for the quality, taken with my phone
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131019_153334_132.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	242216

Comment

Soupdude, you're not too far away from me, I have one out you can use for a template?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

I appreciate the offer and if I run into any problems I'll take you up on it. I'm going out the garage this weekend. With the K frame out of the car now I might set it up on some stands and mount the motor on it, I can get a better look at it to see if I need a little more pan clearance. As I said the motor was in there fine and I didn't see any drive line alignment issues. The frame is still solid I want it to look good too, I think if I straighten up the cut they made and have the open edge closed off I'll be good.

Comment

Pretty sure the K frame is the same for both engines. Cut was for a deep pan - and you have to do it for ether engine. here is the cut I had to make for a Milodon 8 qt pan on my small block. Click image for larger version

Name:	pan clearance.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	242249

Comment

Forget the k frame, buy a dragster car and use a motor plate and mid plate!:ROFLMAO:
                  Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                  "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                  I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Got the frame at the welders getting the cut out closed off to keep the dirt out. From what I can see after seeing the pictures BK posted of Ginger the only real difference in the frames is there is more of a relief in metal between the mounts to allow for the oil pan on the big blocks which sit further forward like Crizilla picture shows.

Comment

Working...
                    X