No announcement yet.

TNT's '78 Magnum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm picking up a few parts for it. I just received some late '70s - early '80s Doug Thorley over the steering headers. New never used, great condition, they where on display for many years I guess. 1 5/8" primary's with 2 1/2" collectors. They look right on the money, should fit a stock starter too.

I also bought a '74 Ford 460 Thermoquad with an electric choke on the side. 1 3/8" primarys. It should have all the features needed to improve intake manifold choices and maintain the emission stuff I'm keeping.

Still working on the master plan for the engine. A 408 stroker kit and a set of nice heads sure are tempting.

I also have a Rally dash and stuff coming from another site member also.
    TNT

'78 30K Magnum XE Survivor

Comment

You will like that cam! Ran it for a while in my 79 300. Perfect fit for the rest of your mods. Along with that cam, you might consider some KB Hyper pistons at about 9.7:1 with 70 cc chambers. A set of 915 ( J heads ) pocket ported and 1.88 intakes replaced with 2.02's. Decent aluminum dual plane manifold ( M1 or an Edelbrock Performer ) and 750 / 780 Holley. Headers ( 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 primary's ) or the big 360 cast iron exhaust manifolds. 3.55 gear choice is good. The 8 1/4 will be your weak link. A 9 1/4 from a late "B" would bolt right in if you could find one. With above mods, you will have a 14 second Magnum with no problems - and a very fun ride.

Comment

Well I'm back. I had some health issues and haven't been able anything with the car because of it.

It's time to start rounding up some more parts and get started now. The plan has changed some due to budget issues, it will have to be done in stages....

The basic engine plan is reseal, add windage tray, hi-volume oil pump, double roller t-chain, intake, 4 barrel carb, fuel pump, new water pump and a new distributor/ignition set-up. I'll be running the stock cam, heads and bottom end.

I picked up an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and will be getting a 750 Holley 80508S vacuum secondary carb. I believe hood clearance would be an issue with the Thermoquad and the adapter it would require.

Dual exhaust is still the plan with the smaller tank if I can find one. It looks like TTI now offers the exhaust, I'll probably use the 2.5" x-pipe system.

Other then that it will be replacing all the old rubber bushings with poly ones, eliminating the K-frame isolators, probably updating the upper control arms and such...

It will get all new hoses and other original parts replaced as needed. My goal is to make it a fun driver for the summer.

I should be able to find a 9.25 or a 8.75 rear for it and will be eliminating the isolators. 3.55 gears or so is the goal. The trans will get a shift kit. a cooler and deep pan.

Next winter I will probably change the rods and pistons and replace the heads with some Edelbrock RPM heads and put a healthy cam in it. The trans will get a high stall convertor also. The car will probably be repaint then since the paint is so thin.

At some point I will swap the wheels and tires out too along with some B-body Hemi springs.

These are basically some random thoughts on the plan. Your input would be great.
        TNT

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
          Well I'm back. I had some health issues and haven't been able anything with the car because of it.

It's time to start rounding up some more parts and get started now. The plan has changed some due to budget issues, it will have to be done in stages....

The basic engine plan is reseal, add windage tray, hi-volume oil pump, double roller t-chain, intake, 4 barrel carb, fuel pump, new water pump and a new distributor/ignition set-up. I'll be running the stock cam, heads and bottom end.

I picked up an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and will be getting a 750 Holley 80508S vacuum secondary carb. I believe hood clearance would be an issue with the Thermoquad and the adapter it would require.

Dual exhaust is still the plan with the smaller tank if I can find one. It looks like TTI now offers the exhaust, I'll probably use the 2.5" x-pipe system.

Other then that it will be replacing all the old rubber bushings with poly ones, eliminating the K-frame isolators, probably updating the upper control arms and such...

It will get all new hoses and other original parts replaced as needed. My goal is to make it a fun driver for the summer.

I should be able to find a 9.25 or a 8.75 rear for it and will be eliminating the isolators. 3.55 gears or so is the goal. The trans will get a shift kit. a cooler and deep pan.

Next winter I will probably change the rods and pistons and replace the heads with some Edelbrock RPM heads and put a healthy cam in it. The trans will get a high stall convertor also. The car will probably be repaint then since the paint is so thin.

At some point I will swap the wheels and tires out too along with some B-body Hemi springs.

These are basically some random thoughts on the plan. Your input would be great.
          Welcome back, TNT!

Sorry you are having health issues, but good to see you getting back to work.

For what it's worth, does your car have a rear stabilizer (sway) bar?

I have a used bar from an R-body, which should fit your car, but it came off of a 9.25" rear end with HD springs; you probably would have to do a rear end swap with springs, which would be desirable to replace that 2.45/1 8.25" thing in there; don't forget the speedometer gear, as it will be WAY OFF! Look for R-body police cars in a junkyard, as they have many HD parts that will fit the Magnum; I junked two or 3 of them a few years ago.....sigh!

I also have NOS Mopar rear swaybar links and bushings, if you need them!

I probably have a few other NOS parts that will fit your car, such as NOS 100 amp. alternator, HD semimetallic police brake pads, 11x2.5" rear brake shoes, idler arm, Pitman arm, possibly outer tie rod ends.....and more that I cannot remember.....just ask me!
          Last edited by R-body_mopar; 01-16-2015, 08:29 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

you will pick up hp...by doing a mudflap delete. Really nice looking ride!

Comment

Performer RPM has hood clearance issues for a lot of guys... might need a drop air cleaner. Other guys don't seem to have the issue in these cars, dunno what the difference is.

Sounds like you have the right idea, intake, carb and ignition go a long way for drivability. Not a Holley guy myself, but sounds like you know how to make it run.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDart View Post
                you will pick up hp...by doing a mudflap delete. Really nice looking ride!
                Thanks.

The mud flaps were gone a few days after I bought it.
                TNT

Comment

Originally posted by Darlantan View Post
                  Performer RPM has hood clearance issues for a lot of guys... might need a drop air cleaner. Other guys don't seem to have the issue in these cars, dunno what the difference is.

Sounds like you have the right idea, intake, carb and ignition go a long way for drivability. Not a Holley guy myself, but sounds like you know how to make it run.

That's what I figured after I checked the hood clearance I have now. I would prefer the electric choke Thermoquad I have for it but that will need a scoop. I'm not a big AFB fan, they seem to be down on power even after they are dialed in.

I have my eye out for a spare hood though since I have a two stage nitrous setup that just might wind up on it after the bottom end is redone.
                  TNT

Comment

I have an NOS hood, here, slight edge damage, would be good to "modify".

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
                      I have an NOS hood, here, slight edge damage, would be good to "modify".
                      Too bad you're not in Racine WI... Do you ever come up to this area? I'm about 20 minutes northwest of Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove.

Shipping would probably be big bucks and I can't drive that far yet...
                      TNT

Comment

Working...
                      X