TNT's '78 Magnum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNT's '78 Magnum

I picked up this 1978 Magnum XE with 29,210 original miles this summer. I always wanted one since I went for a wild ride in new one when I was 12.

Too bad it's 360 2-barrel lean burn. I'll have to eliminate that... It's kind of a shame since it is so original, but I bought it to enjoy it.

I'll be adding owner/car history, factory options and planned changes to this thread. Now I just need to make the master plan.

Your thoughts and input would be great.
    TNT

'78 30K Magnum XE Survivor

Beautiful car, TNT!

If you need any help upgrading ignition and carburetion, post here, or give me a shout! Many mods can be done without being obvious, to keep the original look.

Post some more details about the original carb, manifold, and ignition, and I will try to help!

Comment

Originally posted by R-body_mopar View Post
      Beautiful car, TNT!

If you need any help upgrading ignition and carburetion, post here, or give me a shout! Many mods can be done without being obvious, to keep the original look.

Post some more details about the original carb, manifold, and ignition, and I will try to help!

I'm not too worried about keeping the original look under the hood. Since all the emissions stuff is original I'll remove it and preserve it in boxes. Nothing will be done that can't be returned to stock. I plan on making it a summer driver (I don't drive too much). It need to be completely gone over so it doesn't leave me stranded. It needs more power, a different rear gear and a few other things besides.

I'm actually a disabled ex-Mopar Master Tech of 15 years. I stopped wrenching back in 1999. After a neck and lower back fusion did me in I decided to get another old Mopar, this one brought back memories. I've had a bunch of Mopars, '71 340 'Cuda, 440-6 pack '70 Charger, a few 340 A-bodies, some C-bodies and more over the years.

Now I just need to decide how wild to get with it. It will be repainted in a year or two, the old guys who owned it before polished it off... The plan is to have it done by then.

I'm amazed how well it drives considering it's only had the lean burn unit replaced, plugs, wires cap, rotor. belts, some carb work and tires done. All the hoses are still original...

It should be a nice project to help keep me sane.
      TNT

Comment

Beautiful Magnum!!

One thing, and R body can confirm or deny, is one thing to do is advance the cam timing 2-3 degree. they're retarded 5 degrees for emissions, I've heard moving it more toward 0 is beneficial, removing the leanburn and an advance distrib. will help. Might not need to do much else.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
          Beautiful Magnum!!

One thing, and R body can confirm or deny, is one thing to do is advance the cam timing 2-3 degree. they're retarded 5 degrees for emissions, I've heard moving it more toward 0 is beneficial, removing the leanburn and an advance distrib. will help. Might not need to do much else.
          Here is my rough draft of a plan so far...

Basic engine plan is reseal, add windage tray, hi-volume oil pump, double roller t-chain, bigger cam, intake, 4 barrel carb and a DC/MP ignition conversion kit. I'll be doing some port work also.

I'll keep the charcoal canister and PCV valve, but that's about it for emissions. The A/C and 100 amp alternator are keepers.

Here is the Hughes cam I'm thinking about. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=21842

I'd like the smaller gas tank for dual exhaust if one fits too. It just tucks up better. No room for dual cats though.

It has a non-lockup A-999 trans and a 2.45 geared 8 1/4" rear end. Swapping to 3.55 gears and a limited slip is the plan.
          TNT

Comment

That's a great looking ride, TNT. You don't see too many Magnums with the Halo roof. Looks good against that red paint, IMO.
            WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Nice car....Welcome to the site too.
              The Ultimate Mopar Fan

72,73,74 Charger- 78 Magnum- 78 Supercoupe- 80 Aspen R/T- 96 Ram- 01 Stratus R/T, 2011 Charger

Comment

Nice!! And welcome to the site!

Comment

Nice car -- I was able to go to dual 2.5" exhaust by moving the tank to the passenger side one strap groove.

Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
                  Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
                  Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

I lied -- it was the 81 Imperial I moved the tank on. I left the tank in the same position on the Magnum.
                    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
                    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
                    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
                      That's a great looking ride, TNT. You don't see too many Magnums with the Halo roof. Looks good against that red paint, IMO.
                      Thanks. It's the first Magnum I have seen in person with the halo top, I'm guessing it's rare.

Red and white, classic pimp daddy colors I've been told.

Originally posted by 80 Aspen RT View Post
                      Nice car....Welcome to the site too.
                      Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                      Nice!! And welcome to the site!
                      Thanks. I'm glad I found this forum.

TNT

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
                        Nice car -- I was able to go to dual 2.5" exhaust.

Thanks for the pictures and complement. I like your car too. Mine looks like an old dudes car compared to it.

That looks real doable, there is a good exhaust shop near by. I might need to have my tailpipes turn down just before the bumper since my driveway has such a steep angle to it.
                        TNT

Comment

I noticed pretty cool. There photos of my car in the October Collectible Automobile article and Magnum Value Guide. I need to find a few copies of it. They were taken at the PO house a few months before I bought it.

Here are the links I found here to the articles.
                          http://www.moparstyle.com/forums/sho...Feature-Magnum
                          http://www.moparstyle.com/forums/sho...6-Magnum-Value

TNT

Comment

I picked up a copy of the magizine, and they have a 800 number for back issues. 1-800-871-2022
                            It is the October 2013 issue.

Comment

Nice car. Just like new.

Comment

Working...
                              X