Magnum washer fluid tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnum washer fluid tank

Anyone gave a lead for a new repro washer fluid tank that goes around the battery?

I'd bought one ten years ago, but I'll be dipped if I can find one now
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Do you have the original battery Thermoguard tank? Is there a part number on it? Or do you just want a NEW appearance to replace an old yellowed tank??

I have a couple of them in my garage from R-body cars, but most of them were cut up, because most of the replacement batteries had different caps, and did not fit into the box.

Bill "Magnumguy" probably knows where to get one!

Comment

The one I have right now I bought (cheap reproduction) about ten years ago and it is not only yellow -- but cracked and won't hold fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
        The one I have right now I bought (cheap reproduction) about ten years ago...
        Wow...I did not know these had ever been reproduced. Doesn't sound like I missed out on too much.

If I find one at a swap meet, is there a way to tell an original from a repro.?
        WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Dave, I have some used ones intact, and maybe a spare NOS one. Out of town right now so I can't check.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
            Dave, I have some used ones intact, and maybe a spare NOS one. Out of town right now so I can't check.

I just knew Magnumguy would have one......I checked the ones I had in the garage, and they are all junk.....yellowed and cracked/broken!

Bill, do you have a Mopar parts book, and can you find the original part number??? There are many NOS parts sources out there.....but only IF you have the part number!

Comment

It looks like whoever was making the repro in 2001 isn't making them anymore, and hours searching on the Internet indicates that there are none left.

Bill if there was a cheap repop I'd jump on it, but as opposed to putting on a 35 year old one, or a rare NOS, I'll just retro-fit something modern and more hidden, as my car is far from stock under the hood.

frankly I've always thought the washer fluid around the battery t be a big PITA.

Comment

I agree, BK!

The original concept of battery cooling was flawed, as the underhood temp was over the top on most emissions controlled cars with catalytic converters. Whatever advantage was gained by the washer fluid was overcome in just a few minutes, as temps rose!

If you are not concerned about originality or judging points for show, find another tank and washer motor, and hook it up anywhere it looks good.......JMO!

Comment

Dave, I was ready to do the same thing before I found a good guard for my car. I had actually already acquired the junkyard parts to do the conversion, and started the install before I changed course.

R-body, I don't think I can agree with you. Ma Mopar was right on the money by adding the ThermoGuard, and the technology is still used today. Very effective at extending battery life.

I think you are thinking about the 78-79 design wrong, though. As with the original Guard, as on my '77, it uses fresh air, forced via the high pressure area at the core support, through a hole below the horns, where it circulates around the exterior of the battery. It is less of a "shield", and more of a box. Some early ones had a layer of foam applied as a barrier to radiant heat, but I believe the design is to circulate cool air. The exact same concept was used on first gen. Neons, and as late as 2008 on Hummer H3s. I'm sure there are other examples.

The 78-79 redesign to add the washer fluid reservoir to the Guard is, I believe, just an assembly line savings. Rather than paying two guys to install two items, with two fasteners, you have one guy installing one item with one fastener. This is an old trick...GM used to mold bottles into fan shrouds for the same reason.

WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Working...
                  X