1979 Chrysler 300 Convertible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Chrysler 300 Convertible

Two cars, actually. One convertible, one not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-300...US_Cars_Trucks

Hood scoops, cloth seats, changed to 318, different wheels...lots of stuff going on there.
    WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Wow, lots of stuff to ponder. Anyone notice the dipstick laying on the pass side fender?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

when i cut the t-tops off the one i junked it looked like it would be a cool looking finished conv.

Glad i never imagined it with a top.
      2006 Town@Country loaded

Comment

Is that a true rag top car ? ? ?
        1975 Charger SE E68 323
        1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
        1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
        1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

I'm guessing by true that you mean with some sort of factory connection? Or true as in a working top?

As for working, it appears to be...you can see the appropriate mechanism inside. Certainly more than a faux top treatment.

As for having a factory tie, I guess it depend on how you define that. The factory did not build a convertible, nor did they offer for sale an "authorized" conversion in any of their literature, Vs. say an ASC converted car from GM that appeared in the factory sales brochure.

I'll qualify that claim by saying that user "Chardoba" had this convertible for sale last year...

...and said "One of only seven cars commissioned by Chrysler Corp. to be custom built into convertibles with power tops. I have the Popular Science April 1977 issue article: showing how the company built them and that goes with the car." I'm sure he knows more about these rare cars than I do, and he says they were commissioned by Chrysler, so perhaps you could say they are "true".

There was at least one company that offered these for sale, Emess Coach Works in Florida, which is what the Cordoba pictured in this post is. The '80 and later cars were offered as a convertible done by Innsbrook Manufacturing and Marketing, also of Florida. I do not know if they did any of the b-bodies cars or not.

If you study the photo I just posted Vs. the one on ebay, you can see they are not the same top, so I'm guessing the ebay car was NOT done by Emess.

Now, if Chrysler did not authorize any of these conversions, and a local shop did the conversion to one on the ebay, is it any more or less real, or legitimate? I don't know.
          WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Probably built in florida i would guess .
            2006 Town@Country loaded

Comment

Icky!

Comment

Interesting information Dave. Not really impressed with the look of either of them. Maybe they would look better with the tops down.
                1975 Charger SE E68 323
                1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
                1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
                1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

Originally posted by Dobaroy View Post
                  Interesting information Dave. Not really impressed with the look of either of them. Maybe they would look better with the tops down.
                  I don't think they do. Cool despite being a tough on the ugly side.
                  '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

The ones that Cars and Concepts built for Chrysler (about a dozen or so) were high quality, and the conversion cost was more than the price of the car. One of the dead giveaways is the second build tag with the correct VIN and the phrase Body in White stamped on it. At least two of the C&C cars were Magnums. They also did a handful of Miradas...and MAN...did THEY look GOOD!

Comment

Originally posted by wa3ra View Post
                      The ones that Cars and Concepts built for Chrysler (about a dozen or so) were high quality, and the conversion cost was more than the price of the car. One of the dead giveaways is the second build tag with the correct VIN and the phrase Body in White stamped on it. At least two of the C&C cars were Magnums. They also did a handful of Miradas...and MAN...did THEY look GOOD!
                      I had never heard that Cars and Concepts did any of these. Very interesting!

I think the Emess car looks nice with the top down, especially the rear 3/4 view.

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Cars and Concepts did a lot of work for Chrysler like the F, J and M t-top installations. ASC also did this type of work like the B body T-tops and the Dakota and Shadow convertible conversions. These were all promoted in factory literature. I don't think Chrysler promoted any of these earlier convertibles, but they sure could look sharp with the top down.
                        12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

A lot of things look better topless!!!!
                          2006 Town@Country loaded

Comment

Not at my age!

Comment

Working...
                            X