another wiper bushing post...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another wiper bushing post...

Has anyone replaced the wiper bushing(s) in thier pre-77 B body? This is the easily obtainable plastic bushing that connects the arm to the motor, and also to the other arm. The problem I'm having is that its very hard plastic and getting it through the hole in the arm was a real mofo, and getting it to "slip" over the post on the back of the wiper motor is about impossible. I was wondering if any of you had any trick to make this work...grease? maybe heat it a little to soften it up?
    I bought 10 of these things (.44 ea) so I can destroy a few with experimentation, BUUUuut, I'd be much happier if I could just avoid all the failures, get it done correctly, and get into some beers on this fine afternoon.
    Cheers,
    Jonny Y
    Can I be frank with you?
    Alright. Who should I be then?
    AAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

I did by hand and got all cut up, next time it fails I am going to delete the wiper and motors and just spray the windshield with rain-x. Not like I drive in the rain often anyway. The one I replace was actually inside the cowl vent area if I remember correctly.

Comment

Yeah, its down inside the vent. Blind and an awkward reach. And small. I've been doing the Rain-X thing for a while, but this is Oregon and the 'Doba is my daily driver which means LOTS of driving in the rain. It's summer now, but that wont last forever. Maybe it would be easier just to move back to AZ.
      Can I be frank with you?

Comment

I know the guy on here stopped making them. If I get the chance, I have someone who might be up to making them.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

These aren't those. Pre 77s used a simpler setup and the bushings are available just about anywhere that stocks Dorman or HELP! products. I'm familiar with the 77-79 setup and the scarcity of parts for it. But this ain't that.
          Can I be frank with you?

Comment

I did my 76 Cordoba. It took a lot of cursing, scrapes and buises and time. If I remember right, and I'm trying to forget that job, I squeezed them on with a small pair of plyers. I had some extra pieces just in case I wrecked them.

Comment

If these are the ones I'm thinking about, they are the same as what most Mopars use and are the same as the ones on my Dakota which seems to like to eat them up but my last set have been on it for about 2 years now...but, I don't drive the thing in the rain all that much anymore and when I do, I try to use them as little as possible. Anyways, I lay them in the sun for a few minutes and used WD-40 but some say I'm screwing up using the WD-40....

Comment

I didn't think about putting them in the sun first. Mine gave out coming back from Moparfest a few years back. Fun drive home in the pouring rain. At the time I thought they had that bushing that everyone was looking for. Pleasantly surprised when I finally took it apart and it didn't. Car has rarely ever seen rain and is always in the garage.

Comment

Well, that at least confirms that, yes, they are a pain to get on/in and I'm not just a incompetent boob. I'll try a couple of things, hand sanitizer has worked for me getting things like motorcycle grips on, so maybe I'll try some of that. I like it cuz it evaporates away, no grease or oil left behind. I think a small mirror might help too. These things are about as aggravating as the #6 spark plug in my Nissan truck...the manual suggests removing the hood to help gain access, if that gives you an idea of how fun that job is.
                  Can I be frank with you?

Comment

When I changed mine on the 77 Cordoba I fought with it for 1 1/2 days, then I got mad and took off the little lever that bolts to the back of the motor (which is the park lever). I then took out all of the levers and changed out each plastic bushing by using a vise to press everything together, then re-assembled it all. Took about 2 hours going that way. Do not know if this will work for all models.

Comment

What's different on the pre-75 models and let's say 71-74 B bodies?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
                        What's different on the pre-75 models and let's say 71-74 B bodies?
                        Bill, one of the MOST often repaired items on Mopars during my dealership days was the Mopar wiper system.....they sucked!! Both the 2 speed and 3 speed had problems, especially in the winter, because people refused to turn OFF the wipers and let them PARK, before shutting off the ignition. If the key was turned on while the wipers were frozen to the windshield, they would either try to run or try to park, and either way, damage was done, either to the gears, linkage, or the motor itself.

I find it hard to believe that there are not entire websites devoted to the repair of wipers, as they were always a problem. The earlier systems, where they used a connector to the motor that was housed in rubber, and filled with a special waterproof grease, was the best......and, IF I were still driving a Mopar today, I would figure out a way to retrofit this to the newer linkage. There used to be repair packages available from the parts depot to repair/replace park plates (3 spd.) and linkages (2 spd.), but I am sure these have dried up by now....although we used to stock them by the DOZENS!

Mopar wipers were notoriously BAD, and a constant repair item at the dealership.

This may help:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/L.../276/index.htm
                        Last edited by R-body_mopar; 07-18-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Some instructions that might help.

http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=122.0

Comment

The Dippy.org write-up was very helpful, I've bookmarked it for future reference. If you don't want to do all that reading, it basically says: remove the whole bizness, use white lithium grease, and do one bushing at a time to avoid confusion. Sounds like a plan. I guess I was looking/hoping for a shortcut, but sometimes there just isn't one.
                            Thanks for the help.
                            Can I be frank with you?

Comment

Maybe we could add something in mopar wiki. It's definitely a topic of interest and concern. I wish I was smart enough to come up with a solution to the wiper linkage bushing problem with the late B's and I think F body cars that need the big bushing that is no longer available.

Comment

Working...
                              X