Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm back with an ignition question...What plugs??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back with an ignition question...What plugs??

Been side tracked from the Magnum for awhile now but I'm finally getting around to upgrading the ignition. I'm going to do a 5520 "street fire" by MSD CD Ignition box and replace the Mopar orange one that's 15 years old (read nothing but bad things about the orange box). I'm going to do a Blaster 2 coil and some new wires. My question is, with that setup, (on the stock 400 with Mopar M1 intake, Edlebrock 750 carb, and dual exhaust) what plugs should I use? I've got the plain Bosch Platinum's in there now. Over the years, especially with the C-body's I've owned, they seem to start the car best when its hot, but with the new ignition, who knows? Should I go back to plain copper?

What do you guys use for plugs?
    What gap (with the blaster 2)?

Has anyone else here tried the street fire box? Its $119 at JEGS. Seems like a good price for multiple sparks for a pretty stock motor. My Magnum has always started hard when hot. It wants more initial advance, but when you do that it pings up high. Hoping these upgrades with fix that.

Welcome back! iirc, MSD has a recommendation on plug gap for their ignition systems. Might check their web site....and seems everyone has their own preference for plugs. I've mainly used Champion and Bosch with a few others here and there but Autolite is last on my list.

Comment

I don't know anything about the "Street Fire" system. Blaster 2 is always good. I've never had to resort to platinum plugs for anything. what motor you runnin? kinda hard to recommend without details. I used to use Accell plugs in my RR 447" motor with fantastic results. PS the MSD 6AL box might be a little higher priced, but worth every penny in my opinion. I have a 6AL that I got from Cranky, ready for my Ramcharger shoud the ignition side of the factory PCM ever fail again. New race car has a 7AL3 box.
      Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
      "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
      I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Well the Bosch are real good plugs they are a little pricey. I used Champion RJ12YC forever on my iron head 440 with great results IMHO only the bosch platinums were as good maybe lasted a bit longer.

Comment

I had an old 360 in a 1 ton pickup that had one cylinder that fouled plugs and stuck in one Bosch Platinum plug and it didn't foul. So, 7 Champs and 1 Bosch lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
            Welcome back! iirc, MSD has a recommendation on plug gap for their ignition systems. Might check their web site....and seems everyone has their own preference for plugs. I've mainly used Champion and Bosch with a few others here and there but Autolite is last on my list.
            I run NGKs on all my ride and past rides.

Comment

I tried split fires when they first came out, I know I know they are junk. I went back to the champions. Everyone I know hates champions but I NEVER had a problem with them, then again most of my friends hate Mopars, so they don't know much.

Comment

Another Split fire hater hear. Gimmick when they worked good I gained 0 in the 1/4 and 0 mph.

then went msd tried them again and burnt the ends right off!

best runs were still with RJ12YC tried AC, Autolite, NKG, Accel, Bosch all ran 12.0's in my car that summer. we call it the summer of the plug. To me only the Bosch was as good maybe better wearing the MSD is hard on electrodes but a 3.5 times the price of a Champion???

Comment

I believe Ma Mopar equipped their cars new w/Champions. I've heard Auto-lites used also, but that's been newer cars though.

Hey, welcome back.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Thanks guys. I know spark plugs often "spark" debate kinda like asking "what kind of oil do you use". Ha ha

I'll probably stick with the plain single conductor Bosch Platinum. They only cost $2 or so each and they don't foul. The gimmicky ones with four conductors are the expensive ones.

Comment

I've never seen anything in a mopar but Champion from the factory after 1960. Had a bunch of mopar champions once with Chrysler J11Y right on them wish I had saved some!

Comment

And electricity only jumps to one tiny spot with least resistance all the other tangs are for the gullible and to shroud the spark for poor performance.

Comment

Another vote for Champion, here. Platinum is fine, but I don't think there's a huge advantage over the good ol' fashioned copper units. Longevity, maybe. But the copper ones are so cheap you can change em every time you change your oil if you want to.
                          With the HEI I gap them at .045, when I had a more conventional electronic ignition setup I always ran with the recommended .035.
                          Can I be frank with you?
                          Alright. Who should I be then?
                          AAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyuma View Post
                            With the HEI I gap them at .045, when I had a more conventional electronic ignition setup I always ran with the recommended .035.
                            Aww man I'd rather set my Mopar on fire than use some Generic Motors tech on it... I have the Mopar electronic ignition and an Orange ECU....

Comment

Originally posted by dodgeboy1969 View Post
                              Aww man I'd rather set my Mopar on fire than use some Generic Motors tech on it... I have the Mopar electronic ignition and an Orange ECU....
                              I understand your sentiments, but the HEI is actually pretty widely recognized as a very efficient high energy ignition. I would be willing to guess he's running a modern DUI (Davis Unified Ignition), which is a Mopar specific distributor with an HEI inspired coil-in-cap system.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...ified-ignition
                              WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X