Operation: Beached Whale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation: Beached Whale

So, thought I'd start a thread on the rescue of the Cordoba even though updates might not be as often as I'd like. Got out to the car tonight where she sits 5 miles south of town in hopes of getting it running smoothly enough to attempt to get it rolling. A full pop bottle of gas later along with 20 bucks worth of 94 octane (I was assured that the tank was bone dry when it was parked) and I just could not get the old girl to stay running. I'm thinking either a MASSIVE amount of air in the line after sitting for 16 years, or the pump is shot. Unfortunately I was dumb and didn't bring any tools to take the fuel line off of the carb to see if it's getting any. Going to try and get back out tomorrow a little more equipped than I was tonight.
    Here's a couple of pics for now.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

So as everyone can see, she's far from perfect. The interior alone makes me want to go get whatever shot you get to protect you from bubonic plague, a little rust around the rear wheel arches, the trunk lid and the rear bumper. Luckily there's a wreckers about an hours drive from here that specializes in Chrysler corp cars and I'm sure he'll be able to help out.

A weekend with some heavy duty cleaners, a tune up and some tires and she'll be on the road!

Good luck with it..
    "You're only as old as the women you feel."
    -Groucho Marx
    Moparless for now

Comment

Save it. You will never regret you time investment...money..uh don't know. I bought a 76 cordoba, was my first car but it is not my original one. At this point, using today's technology, I will rebuild it to what I want and that's all that matters to me. So recreate and enjoy!!!

Comment

Post a link to the video on youtube of it. I couldn't find it.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

I'm going to do just that Rick! After many years of restoring air-cooled VWs, I decided it was time to do some big boat of a car from the 70's. Can't wait to get it on the road and have it ready to get down to speed week this year with a few friends.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZBldrhROeI There ya go magnumguy!

Comment

That interior looks like it may have a bit of Yersinia pestis, I'd be careful.

Awesome deal, rarely see one that ready to be alive again.
              '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Quick question guys, are you all seeing the pictures right side up? I'm looking at the thread on my iPhone and they're upside down. They look fine on my computer though.

Comment

Pictures are fine. Good luck restoring it and getting her home.

Comment

Well, got out to the car again tonight in hopes that a new fuel pump would solve the running issues and while the old pump was definitely shot, she still won't stay running. Getting really pissed off I tore the old fuel filter off thinking it was plugged, which it was, and then unhooked the line from the pump to the carb and had a friend turn her over. I was getting some fuel out of the pump, but not a very strong stream, more of a strong dribble. So this weekend I'm heading back out with air tank and blower in hand to see what kind of crud is in that line. I'll get this old beast to run come hell or high water!!

Comment

likely the rubber line dryrotted and collapsed internally. They do that when they sit dry like that

Comment

Maybe you've done this already, but try running it from a small can underhood, hooked to the inlet side from the tank end, eliminates or answers 2 questions, it's not the pump at that point, and maybe there's an issue with the line/tank.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Exactly what I was going to do tonight magnumguy. If it works, which I'm sure it will, I might rig something up to get it home so I can drop the tank and see what I'm dealing with. Too damn hard to work on it where it's sitting!

Comment

Well, after a busy couple of weeks the boy and I were finally able to get back out to the car for one last thrash session before getting the car home.

Went from not running at all to this,

And this car hasn't moved under it's own power since it was parked in 1997, and still can't move really well with a tire nearly off the rim, but we have a spare to bolt on once the crappy weather clears and then its time to come home!!! Just click on the pictures to see the videos.

Comment

Thumbs Up! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X