78 Magnum Force GT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 Magnum Force GT

Just thought I'd clear the air on the Magnum Force GT. I was a sales manager for a Dodge dealer during the late 70's and 80's. I remember the Magnums well. Loved them.
    I have read much about people saying that Magnum Force GT's are fake. They are not. During 78-79, participating Dodge dealers were able to buy (and add on) the "Magnum Force' pkg, which consisted of 3 decal graphics and a rear spoiler. This pkg was put together by an outside vendor (i believe in Canada, but cant be sure). This was to be added to the GT pkg cars. We sold 1 car with the "Force" pkg. It was white. This added $376 to the price of the car. I believe the steep price was its demise.
    This pkg did not obviously show up on the data plate, vin or build sheet, but was considered a dealer add on. When we installed ours, it just showed up as "MJ add on" on the invoice. So for someone to blatantly say these are fake, they are incorrect.
    IBesides the 1 we sold, I have only seen 1 other in Wisconsin at a car show about 15 years ago, in real. There was 1 on ebay recently, auction 251258012736. These are the rarest of the rare for late Mopars. I would guess perhaps less than 50 were put together.
    Thanks for reading, if anyone has any out there, please feel free to add thoughts.
    PS the "Magnum Force" show/giveaway car by car craft was not an original Magnum Force car. The rear spoiler was different.

I think we're referring to the one on Ebay now, which isn't a real Force car. I knew of the car before the goodies were added. The spoiler is an RC Auto Prod's repop, now the flares might be the real deal. Can't tell from the pictures therefore I can't say for certain.

I know they're real cars, I've seen a couple, and I have 2 spoilers and a set and a half (maybe a full 2 sets) of Force flares, which are different than the GT flares.

The codelessness is the same as the 79's with the GT stripping kits. (Starsky and Hutch style). Many an XE have those stripe kits with GT on the hood which aren't GT's.

Gotta love the 70's

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Thanks for the info

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
      I think we're referring to the one on Ebay now, which isn't a real Force car. I knew of the car before the goodies were added. The spoiler is an RC Auto Prod's repop, now the flares might be the real deal. Can't tell from the pictures therefore I can't say for certain.

I know they're real cars, I've seen a couple, and I have 2 spoilers and a set and a half (maybe a full 2 sets) of Force flares, which are different than the GT flares.

The codelessness is the same as the 79's with the GT stripping kits. (Starsky and Hutch style). Many an XE have those stripe kits with GT on the hood which aren't GT's.

Gotta love the 70's
      I dont recall a flare set with the 'force' pkg offered in 78-79. At least it wasnt available to us.
      I am seriously considering getting ahold of the owner of ebay magnum GT since it didnt meet 'buy it now, and see if it still available.
      Do you know the car?? if so, give me the inside scoop before I get ahold of him.
      Thanks again!!

Comment

Sean?

Anyway, Both sets came from the Force packaged cars. These are more rounded and plastic, the others are edged and made from some flexible rubberish stuff. If I'm not too tied up this weekend, I'll snap a shot.

Comment

THANKS. No, my name is Greg. I have heard of a couple people who claim to know the ebay car. Any fair assessments?? The car is in New Jersey, I am in New Mexico. Would be bought sight unseen.

Comment

I have pop up blocker, cant recieve private messages. %*&#@$??!

Comment

I think i'm going to get ahold of owner. Ill keep you all posted.

Comment

The car was in texas up for sale for a while before the guy in jersey bought it. I don't think it's been in jersey all that long.
                1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
                2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by CudaZappa View Post
                  The car was in texas up for sale for a while before the guy in jersey bought it. I don't think it's been in jersey all that long.
                  Well after long talks, the car is coming to New Mexico! I'm very excited. Sounds very cool. I am worried about the interior. Im not a big fan of aftermarket velour. It will be on its way in a couple days, and hopefully, making some car shows in the southwest.
                  If anyone has any info about this car, please feel free to let me know.
                  I think its one of the coolest magnums ive seen, but Ill have to wait a couple weeks to see it in person. The guy im buying it from is not that much of a mopar guy or a Magnum Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by magnum force View Post
                    Well after long talks, the car is coming to New Mexico! I'm very excited. Sounds very cool. I am worried about the interior. Im not a big fan of aftermarket velour. It will be on its way in a couple days, and hopefully, making some car shows in the southwest.
                    If anyone has any info about this car, please feel free to let me know.
                    I think its one of the coolest magnums ive seen, but Ill have to wait a couple weeks to see it in person. The guy im buying it from is not that much of a mopar guy or a Magnum Fan.
                    Congratulations! I've only seen 2 of those cars in person, and I do like them.
                    WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

I can confirm what Magnumguy stated above. I have spoken to the previous owner/ builder of the car on Ebay and the spoiler is an RC auto products reproduction, and the flares are factory Magnum GT. I also have an original spoiler currently on my car and have owned an original Force car in the past. There are a few originals still around, browse through the late B threads and there are some pics, but there are also several fakes out there. The repop spoilers and flares are a dead giveaway if you have seen originals. They are much lighter and the quality is marginal on them, the spoiler is a little shorter and the corner pieces are slightly smaller. See below pics for comparison of the Ebay Magnum and the one I used to own.

Comment

Originally posted by 79MAGGT View Post
                        I can confirm what Magnumguy stated above. I have spoken to the previous owner/ builder of the car on Ebay and the spoiler is an RC auto products reproduction, and the flares are factory Magnum GT. I also have an original spoiler currently on my car and have owned an original Force car in the past. There are a few originals still around, browse through the late B threads and there are some pics, but there are also several fakes out there. The repop spoilers and flares are a dead giveaway if you have seen originals. They are much lighter and the quality is marginal on them, the spoiler is a little shorter and the corner pieces are slightly smaller. See below pics for comparison of the Ebay Magnum and the one I used to own.

Yeah, I see the difference. The bottom cars' spoiler looks more original, like the one that was sold originally on those cars. The guy never claimed it to be an original 'Force' car. It is an original GT though, which is cool enough for me. I'll love it either way, and I'll be glad to get it into hands that will appreciate it. The red/orange car is awesome!! Where is that car now??

Comment

Here are some photos from the car I saw last summer.

WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Its missing the factory a/c and cruise control and half landau vinyl top that came originally on this car and its full of bondo all over i know i saw this car in jersey even though it had texas tags and fender tags states it came with these options above now missing. Good luck hope you paid no more than the $4,000.00 i offered him on ebay since i had been the one with the highest bid at the end of auction.

Comment

Congrats on it, it looks pretty cool. Give us a full report when it arrives.

Comment

Working...
                              X