X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nonstick
    started a topic So, This Followed Me Home

So, This Followed Me Home

'79 Volare Premier Wagon. /6, ac etc blah blah. Weird copper color ( have not had one this color yet. Check it off the list). Watched the price dropping on CL with no pics, and then he posts them with a "must sell, moving" deal. I offered the seller what I thought was a serious lowball and he bit.

Ugly, yet amazingly no rot or rust and likely the cleanest I have ever seen. Southern car originally. Leaks oil like a mother. I believe it's the oil pump. Needs an exhaust. Motor is a bit tired and valves have some wear. Stop a slanty from running? Probably not. However, I'm sure a motor swap will be due if I want it to survive.

Now here's the question...... what do I do with it? Obviously the wood grain gets taken off. After that? Who knows. I'll for sure need to do something with the sun dried southern interior. Grill. Front bumper as well.

Thoughts? Opinions? Load Runner clone? Petty Wagon? A buddy suggested a 4 speed, but I'd need pedals and a hump. Let's hear it folks.... for the price, most anything goes. I think I spent more on dog food and groceries this month than on this thing. No panther pink. No orange stripes or T-tops and 2-door grafts. I have 2 doors from a roadrunner that I stripped a while back. I think the sport mirrors would look good on it. I also have the buckets from the car that can be redone to match the interior. Not much else.

Attached Files

• CudaZappa
    replied
    Originally posted by nonstick View Post
    Somehow..... I actually knew this was coming from you. How that unibody car didn't fold in half when they cut out the support behind the rear doors, I'll never know. They had to have put in a frame tie or something.
    Remember, you did the bluesmobile, so you need to follow up with another movie/tv mopar!

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Da plane da plane lol. Black out the chrome around the windows and the vertical chrome bar on the back doors but not the parts of the pillars that are painted and see how the tint makes it look. Might even try blacking out all the chrome on the car. Yes, suck in the bumpers and you might even shorten them so they don't stick out on the sides so much. Yeah, that will involve welding but think it'll look much better that way. I think the luggage rack looks ok but black it out too and see how that looks.

Leave a comment:

• nonstick
    replied
    Somehow..... I actually knew this was coming from you. How that unibody car didn't fold in half when they cut out the support behind the rear doors, I'll never know. They had to have put in a frame tie or something.

Leave a comment:

• CudaZappa
    replied
    I'm going to tell you what you are going to do with that wagon. And you will do it because this idea is so great, you're gonna wonder why you didn't think of it first. It will be huge!

The often mentioned, never imitated...

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• nonstick
    replied
    Going up on a buddy's lift sometime next week for an exploratory. No clue if it's the oil pump cracked or the block. We'll see.

Decided on getting some stock steelies in 15" ( on the hunt, currently. Let me know if you have any for sale) and will color key them to the car. No other rim choice makes sense to me on these cars other than color key, Keystones or Centerlines ( for the coupe ).

If it had the chrome trim for the wood-grain, I'd seriously entertain putting it all back on and making it look somewhat factory. The guy I bought it from pulled it all off, though. ZERO clue where I would get wood-grain trim for a '79 F-body wagon. A longshot, but if anybody here knows or has some, let's talk.

Luggage rack stays.... agreed? ( I'm 50/50 )

Still looking for a front bumper and grille. Neither has to be of great quality. I'm thinking about blasting the bumpers and going with a clean satin aluminum look. Maybe remove bumper shocks and suck them in 2-3 inches to tuck it closer to the body. Ditch the bumper fillers in the process. Agreed?

Leave a comment:

• nonstick
    replied
    I'm playing with crayons and markers today. Here's how it would look in that caramel whatever color with the windows and pillars blacked out...

The interior is kinda toast, tho. The hard plastics inside are rotted away. I could easily be swayed to wrap them with vinyl, but on some of it there is literally nothing to wrap ( southern car syndrome ).

Orig picture below if any of you photo-chop guru's want to play along. I'm very torn on the color. But then again, no clue what else it would look good in.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ~~Mutt~~
    replied
    Looks great I say.. Hows the interior?

Leave a comment:

• nonstick
    replied
    The almighty google color charts for 1979 say it's Caramel Tan Poly. Prior to that ( for late B's, actually ) "Bittersweet" is the closest color, it appears. Before that it was just tan poly. You can see it a lot on 70 B's. It looks really good with either black or white accent. Some examples below. I'm thinking I like this color more and more and may just keep it. Easier as well because then I don't have to re-jamb and such.

And here is the wagon in that color, no woodgrain.

I'll definitely need a new grille and bumper..... so which one of you F-Body parts hoarders has one. Give it up.... Project _________? needs it :P
    Last edited by nonstick; 08-20-2016, 10:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nonstick
    replied
    http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/5707816749.html

hmmmmmmmmmm? Crossram manifold in a Volare wagon? That would be different. Would it fit tho, is the question.

Leave a comment:

• nonstick
    replied
    Welding and cutting isn't in my immediate future. It is a beater/driver, but a little work and a couple of bucks isn't out of the question. 1500 bucks in these types of cars goes a long way. More if it's worth having some fun with it.

I'll try that goo-gone suggestion. I dread taking off the woodgrain. If it was just faded, I'd keep rubbing in black chrome to bring it back, but it's checked out and peeling. The studs that held the trim on will have to be ground off, though. Hence why I say it will need a paint job afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Originally posted by ~~Mutt~~ View Post
    be cool to weld the rear doors in..cut the roof and make a el camino ..ranchero type out of it..... Think Hemi tyme did something similar at one time while back
    Don't think he wants to take on that much work....however, it would look cool with the roof chopped down a couple of inches. I've always liked mild chop jobs.

Leave a comment:

• ~~Mutt~~
    replied
    be cool to weld the rear doors in..cut the roof and make a el camino ..ranchero type out of it..... Think Hemi tyme did something similar at one time while back

Leave a comment:

• Unfettered
    replied
    For some reason, I thought it would be a beater wagon.

I think making the windows and pillars look like one piece (Sedan Delivery style) will look good. I think goo gone will make short work of the remaining contact paper wood grain.

Leave a comment:

• nonstick
    replied
    I don't mind tint at all. I'm a bit light sensitive anyways. I figure as long as I am doing it, may as well make it work to some sort of visual advantage. Make it look all like one panel by coating the trim between gloss black and the metal posts. Not a true 2 door, but it will disrupt the line enough to give it a sumthin-sumthin.

Right now I'm pretty sure the oil pump ( external) is the issue with it blowing fluid all over the place. It's 80 bucks at rock auto. The exhaust may bump the order up another 250. That will bring it up to 630 dollars just to see if the motor is cooked on a really clean body, ugly aside. I reckon that's fair money to spend so far. If it runs and appears as though it will for 6ish months, I can plan on a smallblock, 4 speed and possibly a better rear.

The body though?........ eh, what to do, what to do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X