So, This Followed Me Home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, This Followed Me Home

'79 Volare Premier Wagon. /6, ac etc blah blah. Weird copper color ( have not had one this color yet. Check it off the list). Watched the price dropping on CL with no pics, and then he posts them with a "must sell, moving" deal. I offered the seller what I thought was a serious lowball and he bit.

Ugly, yet amazingly no rot or rust and likely the cleanest I have ever seen. Southern car originally. Leaks oil like a mother. I believe it's the oil pump. Needs an exhaust. Motor is a bit tired and valves have some wear. Stop a slanty from running? Probably not. However, I'm sure a motor swap will be due if I want it to survive.

Now here's the question...... what do I do with it? Obviously the wood grain gets taken off. After that? Who knows. I'll for sure need to do something with the sun dried southern interior. Grill. Front bumper as well.

Thoughts? Opinions? Load Runner clone? Petty Wagon? A buddy suggested a 4 speed, but I'd need pedals and a hump. Let's hear it folks.... for the price, most anything goes. I think I spent more on dog food and groceries this month than on this thing. No panther pink. No orange stripes or T-tops and 2-door grafts. I have 2 doors from a roadrunner that I stripped a while back. I think the sport mirrors would look good on it. I also have the buckets from the car that can be redone to match the interior. Not much else.

Attached Files

Is that limo tint on the back windows or are they painted? Whatever they are, the rear doors need the same treatment for starters. How's the paint on the rest of the car? Yeah, get rid of the wood grain for sure but don't stick on yellow daisies in it's place.....

Comment

Put a Big Block Chevy crate motor in it with Hemi valve covers...or..yank the wood and lower to a rat rod look
      9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Drive it everyday. When it finally craps out 24hrs of Lemons. I'm sure you can get a team together...
        1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
        2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
          Is that limo tint on the back windows or are they painted? Whatever they are, the rear doors need the same treatment for starters. How's the paint on the rest of the car? Yeah, get rid of the wood grain for sure but don't stick on yellow daisies in it's place.....
          Yes, tinted. I'm usually against such things, but I kinda like it. I'm having thoughts of tinting the rear doors and the trim between being painted gloss black. Sort of making it look like one long "panel/delivery" type piece of glass. True 2 door? Nah. But at a glance it will give the impression. No, no yellow daisies. One solid colour is what I'm thinking.

Originally posted by ~~Mutt~~ View Post
          Put a Big Block Chevy crate motor in it with Hemi valve covers...or..yank the wood and lower to a rat rod look
          If I had one, I'd toss it in there. Don't think I wouldn't. I don't give a rat's pa-toot what people think or say about what I drive. The MoPar ultra purists even less. If they don't like it, make me an offer or beat me to the car next time. As of right now, I have no "extra" motors laying around or anything, really. I'm sure I can snag a 360 or some such cheap enough perhaps. Maybe even a 400? Donate that big block shivvy, and I'll do it without so much as a thought. Bowtie in the middle of the grill and everything. Pfft.

Originally posted by CudaZappa View Post
          Drive it everyday. When it finally craps out 24hrs of Lemons. I'm sure you can get a team together...
          No matter what happens, it's going to be a daily driver. Some have even suggested don't touch a thing and keep it ugly. Spend all the money on a motor and nobody will ever know what hit them. Some have said keep the slanty and add a stick. I even had one suggestion of an AAR type of wagon look. Hellcat Volare? Bahama Yellow and a black hood?

No matter what, it will need a repaint ( unless we go the sneaky pete route.)

Comment

Drop a 360 or a 'teen in it. Just a 'teen and decent gears would make it a decent runner.
            They did make those with a 4 speed. My dad had one. It was beige with dog dish caps. /6 and OD 4 speed.
            The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
            Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by gsmagnum View Post
              Drop a 360 or a 'teen in it. Just a 'teen and decent gears would make it a decent runner.
              They did make those with a 4 speed. My dad had one. It was beige with dog dish caps. /6 and OD 4 speed.

I've learned to never say "they didn't make that" where these cars are concerned. They let people have any combo they wanted it seemed......well, quality wasn't on the order list, but you could have a white car and blue power seats with a moonroof and a slant if you wanted!

hrmmmmm..... what about a road runner type wagon but the stripes are woodgrain? *tilts head sideways for a thought*. Ok, puke. Next thought.

Comment

I did the limo tint on the back window in my Yard Cart. It's a regular cab and I drive it a lot during day light. My nephew tried to talk me out of it since it's hard to see out of at night but since I don't drive much at night and I'm tired of becoming a 'red neck' due to sun burn, I tinted it. Best thing I ever did to a RC pickup!

Comment

I don't mind tint at all. I'm a bit light sensitive anyways. I figure as long as I am doing it, may as well make it work to some sort of visual advantage. Make it look all like one panel by coating the trim between gloss black and the metal posts. Not a true 2 door, but it will disrupt the line enough to give it a sumthin-sumthin.

Right now I'm pretty sure the oil pump ( external) is the issue with it blowing fluid all over the place. It's 80 bucks at rock auto. The exhaust may bump the order up another 250. That will bring it up to 630 dollars just to see if the motor is cooked on a really clean body, ugly aside. I reckon that's fair money to spend so far. If it runs and appears as though it will for 6ish months, I can plan on a smallblock, 4 speed and possibly a better rear.

The body though?........ eh, what to do, what to do.

Comment

For some reason, I thought it would be a beater wagon.

I think making the windows and pillars look like one piece (Sedan Delivery style) will look good. I think goo gone will make short work of the remaining contact paper wood grain.
                    "You're only as old as the women you feel."
                    -Groucho Marx
                    Moparless for now

Comment

be cool to weld the rear doors in..cut the roof and make a el camino ..ranchero type out of it..... Think Hemi tyme did something similar at one time while back
                      9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Originally posted by ~~Mutt~~ View Post
                        be cool to weld the rear doors in..cut the roof and make a el camino ..ranchero type out of it..... Think Hemi tyme did something similar at one time while back
                        Don't think he wants to take on that much work....however, it would look cool with the roof chopped down a couple of inches. I've always liked mild chop jobs.

Comment

Welding and cutting isn't in my immediate future. It is a beater/driver, but a little work and a couple of bucks isn't out of the question. 1500 bucks in these types of cars goes a long way. More if it's worth having some fun with it.

I'll try that goo-gone suggestion. I dread taking off the woodgrain. If it was just faded, I'd keep rubbing in black chrome to bring it back, but it's checked out and peeling. The studs that held the trim on will have to be ground off, though. Hence why I say it will need a paint job afterwards.

Comment

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/5707816749.html

hmmmmmmmmmm? Crossram manifold in a Volare wagon? That would be different. Would it fit tho, is the question.

Comment

The almighty google color charts for 1979 say it's Caramel Tan Poly. Prior to that ( for late B's, actually ) "Bittersweet" is the closest color, it appears. Before that it was just tan poly. You can see it a lot on 70 B's. It looks really good with either black or white accent. Some examples below. I'm thinking I like this color more and more and may just keep it. Easier as well because then I don't have to re-jamb and such.

And here is the wagon in that color, no woodgrain.

I'll definitely need a new grille and bumper..... so which one of you F-Body parts hoarders has one. Give it up.... Project _________? needs it :P
                              Last edited by nonstick; 08-20-2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X