Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok whos done a 518 trans swap? Need details.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok whos done a 518 trans swap? Need details.

A 518 is gonna be my next swap. Need details on whats needed in order to do this conversion. Thanks

check this link it also has photos , this guy cut the tunnel but you dont have to all you have to do is remove the 2nd crossmember support and use a thinner support to clear the od housing

Transmissions: Overdrives: A-500 & A-518 Swap

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

also these guys have supplies and trans kits , these guys are very good in trans parts

Dodge 727 Transmission Swap to 518 Transmission from PATC, 46RE 47RE 48RE

Comment

you make it fit

Originally posted by chmirada View Post
      check this link it also has photos , this guy cut the tunnel but you dont have to all you have to do is remove the 2nd crossmember support and use a thinner support to clear the od housing

Transmissions: Overdrives: A-500 & A-518 Swap

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

also these guys have supplies and trans kits , these guys are very good in trans parts

Dodge 727 Transmission Swap to 518 Transmission from PATC, 46RE 47RE 48RE
      You get to where you can make it fit, send it to me for rebuild, I'll guarantee is shifts as hard as anybody 1-2-3 not gonna promise that into overdose, I mean overdrive. Where are you anyway? All you pay is shipping and parts. I'm just trying to help out racers with proven results. PS I'll need to know more about your torque convertor, rear gear ratio, and estimated avereage cruising RPM, to build it right.
      Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
      "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
      I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

I did that swap in an 88 D-100 shortbed, whose 998 decided to not want 3rd gear no more.
        I got the donor trans from a 1 ton 92 van w/a 360 that was a non lockup version even! there wasnt much to it, the main thing I remember was needing a shorter driveshaft; which IIRC the one I used was a leftover from when I swapped the 8-1/4 into my Mom's 84 5th ave when the 7-1/4 blew up.....

Comment

Originally posted by hemisatellite View Post
          Where are you anyway?
          Greensboro NC...put on your glasses man :ROFLMAO:

Comment

glasses

Cranky got me again!:clapping:

Comment

Cranky got me again!:clapping:
              like THAT'S hard to do...

Comment

Originally posted by volaredon View Post
                like THAT'S hard to do...
                ........LOL

Comment

Thanks all

In the words of the famous Chief Inspector "Jaques Cousteua" "I FART IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION!" thanks again all.:ROFLMAO:

Comment

In the words of the famous Chief Inspector "Jaques Cousteua" "I FART IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION!" thanks again all.:ROFLMAO:
                    That's at least two different movies, one fictitious character, and one real-deceased marine biologist away from being a movie reference.
                    Sorry to be a stickler.
                    You're funny, Curt. :ROFLMAO:
                    (Still lookin for that 5.0, 'Bird.)
                    Can I be frank with you?
                    Alright. Who should I be then?
                    AAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Comment

Slodoba, what are your plans for the 518, if you get it in are you thinking about shifting automatically into OD or are you going to put it on 2 switches? We put a 500 in our 76 Doba with 360 motor a few years ago but we got that one shifting on 2 switches. Now we are going to put a 518 into our '79 Magnum (also 360) but would like this one to shift automatically. BTW glad you got your motor back.
                        1975 Charger SE E68 323
                        1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
                        1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
                        1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

sorry

meant Clouseau sp?:yeah that:

Comment

Originally posted by Dobaroy View Post
                            Slodoba, what are your plans for the 518, if you get it in are you thinking about shifting automatically into OD or are you going to put it on 2 switches? We put a 500 in our 76 Doba with 360 motor a few years ago but we got that one shifting on 2 switches. Now we are going to put a 518 into our '79 Magnum (also 360) but would like this one to shift automatically. BTW glad you got your motor back.
                            Will probably do the switched route for now. Had an old floor headlight dimmer switch hooked up to a line lock on my old car. Will probably use this switch for my overdrive. Would like it to shift automatically but havent figured that out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Slodoba View Post
                              Will probably do the switched route for now. Had an old floor headlight dimmer switch hooked up to a line lock on my old car. Will probably use this switch for my overdrive. Would like it to shift automatically but havent figured that out yet.
                              I think the simplest way to fully automatic control it would be electronically. Of course with retrofits that isn't a very common thing to do so there isn't much on going that route.
                              '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Working...
                              X