k frame interchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k frame interchange

Will a 1970 charger 383 k frame fit in a 1970 cuda with a 440? I heard that it will bolt in but the steering box angle is different. Mine has some prior owner bubble gum welding done on the lower arm mount and I don't trust it.

Simple answer? Yes!:angel:

Comment

Different steering box angle is news to me. I stuck an E body K into my 66 Belvedere as a test fit and the steering box angle looked fine....

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
        Different steering box angle is news to me. I stuck an E body K into my 66 Belvedere as a test fit and the steering box angle looked fine....

We had several E-Body K members along with other different body model K members laying side by side and if not tagged at a swap meet you probably wouldn't be able to tell what fit what.
        Mural Persuasion
        "OFFER THE GENTLEMAN A CIGAR, IF HE REFUSES, SHOOT THE SONOFABITCH".
        Mark Twain 1891

Comment

I would think if Ma Mopar wouldda needed to change the angle at the steering box it woulda been done via the pitman arm......not the K member mounting boss
          Eastern Washington desert rat......The dry side of the state

Comment

i thought b-e engine compartments were the same so the could fit the hemi into an e body that's what i read somewhere years ago i could be wrong though.wouldn't that make the k frames the same also
            Last edited by dodgert01; 12-19-2015, 03:51 PM.

Comment

E-bodies share K-frames with the 71-72 B-bodies. The 70 K-frame is unique as it is halfway between the 69 and earlier and the 71 and laters. It has the same style sway bar, but like mentioned earlier, the steering box mounting angle is different. You'll notice the difference when you put in the steering column. As such, the 70 B-body uses a different drag link than the 71+ cars. This all affects bumpsteer and ackermann in the steering geometry. Can you get away with it? Others say they have. Is it optimum? Nope. I know one gentleman that discovered he had the B-body k-frame in his e-body when he went to cure his bumpsteer and eliminated half the problem when he got the B-body drag link in it.
              1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
              2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

The Ackerman was off in my 71 340 Cuda. It had the fast ratio T/A setup but the idler arm was shorter than the pitman arm. It didn't seem to bother anything unless you were trying to get into a tight parking spot. Does the T/A setup have a longer idler from the factory? At the time I owned the car, I tried to find one but no luck. This was during the mid 80's and into the late 90's.
                Last edited by Cranky; 12-21-2015, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                  The Ackerman was off in my 71 340 Cuda. It had the fast ration T/A setup but the idler arm was shorter than the pitman arm. It didn't seem to bother anything unless you were trying to get into a tight parking spot. Does the T/A setup have a longer idler from the factory. At the time I owned the car, I tried to find one but no luck. This was during the mid 80's and into the late 90's.
                  The long idler arm didn't come about until Firm Feel started making them. The Ackerman issue was known about for a long time (it's even addressed in the Mopar Performance Chassis Manual). One of the areas where the bean counters won in the 70s.
                  1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
                  2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

I have the 8th edition of the chassis book 'Speed Secrets and Mods.....' and can't recall seeing anything about Ackerman in it but the Petersen Chassis, Suspension and Brakes book does although it's not Mopar specific.

Comment

Working...
                    X