Announcement

Collapse

How To Navigate the New MoparStyle

There are now Four very separate areas of MoparStyle, all represented with a tab.

Mopar Topic is obviously for the topics regarding Mopar cars and trucks. When you are in that area, there is an index in the right sidebar for those threads, sorted by last reply, or vote the case of a poll. The reason for not combining on and off topic threads is that there are people who will only come to MoparStyle for Mopar posts, and nothing else.

For those want to discuss subjects other than Mopar with our MoparStyle friends, it is just a simple click of the Non-Mopar Topic tab. That section also has an index of threads in the right sidebar, but only for posts in the groups you've joined. If you're not a Member of the group, then you won't see those posts in the index. For instance, if there was a group each for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard - but you were in the Navy and don't give a Rat's Ass about the other groups; then you join the Navy Group and not the others. You will then only see the Navy posts in the index. Likewise you can create and administer a Group for a topic you feel that isn't represented. You can make the group Public or Private. For instance, say you're a member of the Crypts gang and there's not a group for you and other MoparStyle members who are Crypts, you can create a group, invite your Crypts Bros, and make it Private so the Bloods don't know when you're coming after them. So join the groups that a future post might interest you, and stay away from the groups that you have no interest in. Also in the right sidebar under the index of posts of your groups, is a list of groups you have joined.

The next Tab is News. For the most part that is going to be notifications of site updates from me, or other Mopar industry news.

The final portion of the site is the Blog. Each member is given their own blog, if they wish to use one. You can use it for virtually any legal purpose you wish. If you're a little girl, you could use it as your diary. "Dear Diary, I have a hangnail that hurts, and Ricky winked at me. He's so cute!" Or if you're a Drag racer you could use it to be the shop diary of work performed, and race updates. Click here for an example of a Blog. Heck you can make it your web site like www.TexasWhaleRacing.com. You could even register a domain and have it forward to your blog if you wish Your imagination is your only limitation.

There will be pages added in the future. For instance, in the works is a Lifer page with one of the features being a Lifer photo album that they can use to host the photos in their posts, like the one I use at:
http://www.moparstyle.com/photos/

I know it is different than what's been here for last sixteen years, but a little effort and you will find that it not only that it isn't that difficult, but s also better.

See more
See less

Cold start, YES! Warm start, NO! 318-4bbl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold start, YES! Warm start, NO! 318-4bbl

Hi all! This is my first post here. I have a 1986 Ram D150 with a 318 and a 4 barrel edlebrock carb. Ok, I'm an absolute mechanical novice so any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is my trouble. The first time I start the truck everyday it fires right up with no problems or hesitation (takes one press of the gass pedal before I turn the key). After I drive the truck around or to the store or wherever, the truck won't start. It will crank and every now and then it will start with a little gas pedal play. This problem has gotten progressively worse the last two weeks and now it definitely won't start after a quick trip. I'm wondering if its a flooding or carb issue? The truck has a rough idle when it runs but it stays running and accelerates smoothly.

Thanks guys, please be as specific as possible.
    1986 Ram D150, 5.2L 318 with a 4bbl Edelbrock 600

boiling the shit gas when it sits hot pump it good twice and hold it 1/2 open till it starts.

blocking the heat crossover under the carb helps (maybe a bit testy in the winter)

heat sheilds help
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...0sheilds&dds=1
    or carb spacer wood or plastic.
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...uretor+spacers

Comment

How's the choke?
      2008 Black Jeep Liberty 4x4
      Far from stock

Comment

Originally posted by dodgeboy8 View Post
        boiling the shit gas when it sits hot pump it good twice and hold it 1/2 open till it starts.

blocking the heat crossover under the carb helps (maybe a bit testy in the winter)

heat sheilds help
        http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...0sheilds&dds=1
        or carb spacer wood or plastic.
        http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...uretor+spacers
        Biggest problems right there.

Usually on those hot starts you just have to hold it- but you often will in the weather most places now.

If you've got a shiny carb mounted straight to the intake you may really be boiling the fuel.
        '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Update

BOILING - Ok, I don't think I'm boiling the gas. I can let it sit for hours and it still struggles to start. If I let it sit all night it fires right up.

CHOKE - I'm a true novice here but I think I need a least some choke adjustment. When I start the truck and let it run it idles pretty high, i need to rev it once to get it to idle a little lower.

I'm going to replace the fuel filter tonight, hoping for that $5 fix but I'm wondering if I need to play with the floats or could timing have anything to do with it?

Thanks guys

Comment

Don't discount the hot gas thing! ( My 2 cents )

Comment

Here's the update for today. I changed the fuel filter and the starter. I killed the starter cranking too much in the last week. I started the truck this morning on the first key turn. I drove it for about 20 minutes. When I cut it off I can start it right back up with no trouble. If I let it sit for 15-20 minutes I get trouble. I drove around this morning and shut it off around 10am. I just went out at 8pm and still gave me trouble. i cranked it with no gas, then with the pedal all the way down and nothing. I pumed a few times and nothing again. I gave it one last key turn and it fired. Choke was all the way open every time I looked at it today.

Oh on the boiling gas thing, i rerouted the gas line to the carb to give it give it some extra space.

Comment

A warm motor should not need any choke. the gas gets heated and goes somewhat dead from the heat soaking up form the intake into the carb.
                Just the way it is now days get some spacers plastic or wood listed above. My 2 cents

Comment

I hope you went with the Denso style starter. (Spec for a 92 or newer V8) It seems to draw less when turning the engine and it seems like it spins it faster. I know they are more expensive (unless you go to a JY), but they do a much better job than the classic gear reduction unit.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

You should adjust the idle screws with the truck running hot. My old truck would idle rough when the engine was warm when running cheap gas. I had to turn the idle screws out slightly.
                  Your carb manual (You can go to the Edelbrock site and download it too) will tell you how to adjust them.
                  The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
                  Ronald Reagan

Comment

First things first.. Let the engine tell you what is going on.. Take out some spark plugs and read them. This is what I would do first.. and take some pictures..
                    Sorry bout the music.. not my vid

SPARK PLUG READING - YouTube
                    9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Fuel pressure?
                      2008 Black Jeep Liberty 4x4
                      Far from stock

Comment

I'm thinking its more likely an ignition issue because its too intermittent to be fuel...............I think its time for an ECM

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

When it wont start check for spark....
                        Eastern Washington desert rat......The dry side of the state

Comment

Why not put one of those see thru Mr. Gasket filters on the line going to the carb and when it wont start see if there is any gas in that filter?
                          1975 Charger SE E68 323
                          1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
                          1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
                          1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

UPDATE: Truck sat for 11 days and I needed to pour a little gas in the carb to fire it up (choke was mostly closed). I changed the fuel pump this morning and it fired up with no problems. I ran it and drove it for 30ish minutes and I can cut it off and on with no problems. After letting it sit for 20 minutes I had to give it gas while turning the key to get it started (didn't take long, just a quick press of the gas). I let it sit for 30 minutes again and needed a press of the pedal to start it. Much better than cranking and pumping that I have been doing. Will see how it goes. Thanks for all the help guys! My luck isn't good enough for this to be the total fix so check back for updates.

Comment

Glad you got it fixed -- I was going to ask what your Initial and total timing were -- and what engine you had. Also what the temp gauge was saying before your shut it off -- and when you were trying to start. Sometime timing too low over heats the motor and affects hot starts -- if the other advice hadn't solved.
                              My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

Working...
                              X