No announcement yet.

I've been casually looking for a 1979, 1980 or 1981 Chrysler New Yorker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck, I did a red 67 Dart years ago that left me hurting....not to mention the red didn't stay very shiny for long. Once red is dead....it's dead.

Comment

I did one of these. Green is the other end of red. The paint was chalked beyond belief and the wood grain was bone white when I started ( FYI. Use a product called black chrome to bring that and other decals back). NEVER AGAIN will I attempt that. I went from F-body and A-body to THAT. Took me the entire weekend of JUST compound, cutting, buffing, polishing, etc. Nothing else. I must have had easy 20-25 hours into it.

I'd re-spray in a heartbeat knowing now what I didn't then. Not on a C-body. Nope. As far as I'm concerned, "it's repainted white"... buddy, you just you and me both a favor".

Comment

Reds, silvers (grey) and greens don't last long here. We get a lot of the sun like Texas does, especially in the southern part of KS. (I can be in Oklahoma in about 35 minutes.) I wouldn't expect Iowa to get quite as severe sun, but I guess the sun and 40 years....

I used to work at a detail shop in about 1981. The boss had the contract from the local car dealers to detail all the used cars. There was a '77 Pontiac that came in (Silver over Black) that the silver was dead. We cleaned it thoroughly and I (as a senior detailer) had the job of putting a coat of 30 weight motor oil over the paint. We did this twice a day for a week and then rewashed and waxed and polished the silver. It looked great for about 6 months when the new owner brought it to us to detail. LOL

We did a similar trick with reds, however greens never responded the same way.

And I'll bet you did have close to 25 hours in the car Non.
        "You're only as old as the women you feel."
        -Groucho Marx
        Moparless for now

Comment

Working...
        X