Center Steering Wheel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center Steering Wheel

I have 1967 Coronet R/T. The steering wheel is not centered. Recently had it aligned by guy who is mopar and torsion bar savvy. I told him steering wheel is not centered properly. He got everything aligned properly underneath but could not get steering wheel fixed without messing up front end alignment. He told me I will have to pull steering wheel to fix. He said I would need to move horn and turn signal to properly work. I am not sure I completely understand how to do this.............anybody done this? Could use some additional help.

How far off is it? You center the wheel with the tie rod sleeves.....sounds like your front end guy isn't so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
      How far off is it? You center the wheel with the tie rod sleeves.....sounds like your front end guy isn't so good.
      Ditto to what Cranky said.....find another front end man! He's not so Mopar savvy as you think!

Comment

Sounds clueless to me also. I find it harder and harder to find a real technician who will do a complete alignment. When I put my car together, the tech tried to tell me all it needed was a toe adjustment! I had to argue with the service manager to get them to to a thorough, complete job.....not just good enough. I told him there is no way I can bolt stuff together in my garage and be on the money!

Comment

How does the car drive going down the road? Are you having to tug on it one way of the other to get it to go straight...if you let off the wheel does it pull hard one way or the other...pulling slightly to the right is probably okay. If it's driving good you may need to pull the steering wheel to get it centered.

Comment

Doesn't the steering wheel have a master spline? I'm 62 and have never ever had to re-clock a steering wheel on any Mopar and I've been messing with this stuff since the 60's. The only reason might be that someone forced it on wrong and then if you re-clock the wheel, the turn signals won't cancel like they are supposed to. One will shut off real quick or not even stay on and the other won't cancel.

Comment

I can't say for sure in 1967, but every Mopar steering wheel I've ever pulled has had a master spline.
              12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

The first car I ever pulled a steering wheel off of was a 66 Belvedere back in 69 and iirc, it had a master. And I just went out to the shop and pulled an aftermarket steering wheel adapter off the wall. It does not have a master spline but is marked top. From what I remember, the shaft has a blank machined into it and the stock wheel hub has the master spline or the adapter would not slide onto the shaft if the shaft had the master spline...

Comment

guess that makes sense....it's been a while since I have pulled a steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by DobaMark View Post
                    I can't say for sure in 1967, but every Mopar steering wheel I've ever pulled has had a master spline.
                    I agree with Cranky and Mark; you can't just pull the steering wheel off and re-center it, as it has a blind spline, and will only go on one way. The same is true of the coupling (and I believe, the Pitman arm also) on the steering box, they will only install in one position.....you need to mark it when you remove it, or you will have a hard time lining it back up again! I've done that before......lol!

Comment

I have a pitman arm hanging on the wall and the sucker has FOUR master or blind splines in it! Years ago, I cut one (not completely in half), spread it to what I needed and welded it back up and then ground it smooth. Don't quite remember why I was doing this but remember not being able to get what I needed without costing an arm and a leg. Always heard not to weld on suspension parts but I've been doing things like that for a very long and never had a failure. Doesn't mean I never will but, the material isn't anything special. It's a good grade of mild forged steel. 4140? If it's welded right and you don't put too much heat into it, it'll work. And yes, I talked to a metalurgist before doing it.....

Comment

Since he hasn't responded in 3 or 4 days... I wonder if vise grip pliers would take care of the problem... I had one on a steering shaft once or twice in my lifetime...LOL.. Sucks when the wheel straightens up and the pliers either whack your wrist or just falls off...which makes for a fun few seconds...
                        9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

LOL!! Been there done that but just once!!

Comment

I use a wheel in some corner where I found it better to shuffle the wheel.i have to pull the steering wheel.https://car-gears.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X