Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attending Car Shows w/o My Car...

Sigh...
    Since my relo to Florida, I've had the opportunity to check out a few car shows. It's been interesting to say the least.
    I'm sitting at a local resort bar reading magazines and waiting for karaoke nite. Yes, I've gone insane and now I do karaoke...but I digress. Some guy asks to sit down and starts bitchin' about how hot it is and he needs to grab a bite. Ok, whatever. Tells me that he's in the car show. Uh-huh. Goes on and on about how long it took him to detail his car and that the judges only looked at it for 30 seconds. They're not paying attention to the engine detail, blah blah blah. I just keep saying, "Yeah, I know what you mean." Oh, the judges are only giving trophies to their friends...etc. You've heard it all before. So I tell him, "I have a old car too. Some times it's rough, but, you got in for a fraction of the daily resort fee. You got to park up close. You got a free T-shirt. For $40, that's not too shabby!" More grumbling. So here comes dude #2. They both start synching up with the gripes about the show. Apparently #2 also has a car entered. #1 is the (all too) proud owner of an '81 Bore-vette. #2 tooled into the show with a '76 version. Great. Now I'm sitting here listening to the TWO of them whine over the unfairness of the judges who don't bow down to the 'vette altar. Wah wah wah.

Now, I'm not one to diss your wheels. We all like what we like. I'm just not a 'vette fan. Not the car's fault....just that most of the owners I've run into are d*cks. He's going on and on about how his '81 motor is SO special. Requires RACE fuel (yeah, right) and is rated as one of the fastest production cars to come out of Detroit. Now...though I HAVE boobs...I'm not one. Though I don't speak GM, I'm thinking there was NO motor produced in 1981 that REQUIRED race fuel in a daily driver.

So I interrupt the bragfest and tell them that I've been in a few shows myself. I tell him I have a '69 Dodge Charger Daytona. I swear to God this was his reply... "They gave us those to drive when I was on the police force." :ROFLMAO:I giggle...and I RARELY giggle....but I can't believe what I just heard. I tell him that I'm not 100% up on my squad cars from Chysler, but you probably had a Fury or a Polara, you never had a Daytona. He swears I'm wrong! So I ask him if he knows what a wing car is. Nah. Then you never had a Daytona as a squad car. You'd remember driving one of these.

So I school the boyo on all things wing. #2 had slinked away during the smackdown. I hate it when I have to end a conversation with "no, really, it's a pretty special kinda car..."

Now it's time for me to do a little research on '81 Bore-vettes... Whopping 350 ci 190 hp power plant. Oooooh impressive. They made something like 40 THOUSAND of them. I've now got goosebumps. Gotta get me one. Yeah, right....

I only go to car shows to look at the eye candy now!

Comment

Those Daytona cop cars with the light bar on the wing were cool. lol No, I doubt there was ever one. The Fury cop cars in those days were the best though.

Lots of nice Chevy guys around but met too many like them. One visiting a neighbor came over to look at a Camaro that was visiting. My wife asked him if he wanted to see my Chrysler and his reply was, "I only look at Chevys". I sent him packing with a few unkind words. Chevys are okay, but it was always cool to beat them at the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
        I only go to car shows to look at the eye candy now!
        ...and I go and hope to MEET eye candy!

Comment

I heart corvette owners

They do this when you tell them a '79 Roadrunner was faster than their '79 corvette, tho.

Comment

I'm not big into Tupperware either.
            2006 Town@Country loaded

Comment

Epilog....
              I ran into him at another car show.... This time he was griping that the flyer said TROPHY and they were giving away PLAQUES! GASP!!!
              I just told him that I preferred plaques....they stack up nicer when you run out of room for trophies...

Apparently he told his buddy about our conversation. His buddy told him to shut up and quit trying to impress. Smart man....

Comment

http://usedcorvettesforsale.com/1981.shtml

I really don't buy anything where the first 5 of the vin is an anagram for "1 gay 1"

surely, I can't be the only one who's noticed this on that praticular car,lol

Comment

But the big elephant in the room is, was he successful in picking you up? :ROFLMAO:
                  The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
                  ~Ted Nugent

Comment

Last edited by nonstick; 05-14-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

in 1981 the wife at the time had an 81 vett,& i had my gts383 dart,we took it to the old houston int drag way,car had about 3000 miles on it,bone stock it ran 16.20,well that sure was fast,lmao,built a new 355 for it the next month,292 turbo heads ,headers ,ect ,have to say that was the biggest pile of crap car ,EVERYTHING broke on that glorified land boat,glad the wife & car are gone
                      1968 dodge charger resto mod
                      http://www.moparstyle.com/forums/car...ad.php?t=19039

Comment

Kismgby... Your about 20 away..and on the wrong side of the bay.. Take Hillsborough/Tampa Rd to the West..take a right on US 19 here in Palm Harbor....go about 1/2 mile and on the right you will see Checkers..Boston Market..Publix... Lots of old school there.. 60 to late 70's with rat rods and customs.. I don't really take my truck there to much because it has a computer..but Every Friday night it is jam packed with 90+ rides.. Hardly any Vettes...but if there is...it has slicks on and ready to run..

Checkers Drive-In Restaurant
                        33225 US Highway 19 N, Palm Harbor, FL
                        Coral Landings Shopping

Last edited by ~~Mutt~~; 05-14-2012, 03:11 PM.
                        9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

You guys!!!! I'm laughing so hard here at the office I'm weeping... Sigh.. That poster was the tip in. And who does VIN anagrams?!?!?!?!?

Well...since you feel the need to dish....
                          I bumped into him at a bar last Thursday. Italian, Jersey bred, 'Vette driver....can you BE any more of a stereotype? I've thrown him back into the pool... He's kinda a jerk. And who wants to date a guy that YOU know more about cars that HE does? ...there's a rumor about those who drive 'vettes... I don't need that kind of disappointment in this stage of my life.
                          I'm looking for six pack abs or a six pack under the hood. Wish me luck! LOL

Comment

My abs are better than a 6 pack... I have a FULL Keg !!
                            9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Originally posted by nonstick View Post
                              http://usedcorvettesforsale.com/1981.shtml

I really don't buy anything where the first 5 of the vin is an anagram for "1 gay 1"

surely, I can't be the only one who's noticed this on that praticular car,lol
                              Use to have Gay Pontiac down on 45 south and near the old HIS dragstrip.....they did good business tho but man, I'd be changing my last name lol. I'm not a homophobe but I can only take so much!

Originally posted by cdr View Post
                              in 1981 the wife at the time had an 81 vett,& i had my gts383 dart,we took it to the old houston int drag way,car had about 3000 miles on it,bone stock it ran 16.20,well that sure was fast,lmao,built a new 355 for it the next month,292 turbo heads ,headers ,ect ,have to say that was the biggest pile of crap car ,EVERYTHING broke on that glorified land boat,glad the wife & car are gone
                              You mean my old 79 Dodge 360 powered pickup was faster by nearly a whole second!? It was a Super Coupe engine with an intake and headers and 3.91's and ran 15.60 and in a...........pickup......

Comment

Working...
                              X