Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on Fast-ratio manual steering, replacement upper control arms? '64 Valiant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Fast-ratio manual steering, replacement upper control arms? '64 Valiant

Hey friends,
    I just purchased a '64 Valiant and one of the first orders of business is rebuilding the steering gear box, as it's dangerously sloppy. I see that I have some fast ratio options and I'm intrigued, but looking for some feedback and opinions from others who have gone this route. Spoke with a fellow at Firm Feel and it seems my options are stock ratio (24:1), 20:1, or 16:1. He also mentioned they make a positive caster upper control arm as well, which I was interested in.
    Anyone have thoughts or opinions to share on these things?

Thanks,
    -T.
    Last edited by TeaCake; 08-03-2017, 03:48 PM.

I'd be going to fast ratio over old school.

Are you Power Steering?
    My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
      I'd be going to fast ratio over old school.

Are you Power Steering?
      Nah, manual steering. I considered the upgrade for a fleeting moment, but it's more work than I want to do at this point and the manual steering is fine. Besides, it's s good workout. I do wonder if it will be uncomfortably firm at 20:1 though.
      Also, have you ever tried their replacement upper control arms? Seemed like an interesting upgrade.

Comment

That's what I figured when you said Firm Feel. If replacing parts I'd go to Firm feel, if fixing - Armstrong never bothered me in the 70s.
        My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

Working...
        X