A What is it worth Question....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A What is it worth Question....

Over the weekend, the Mrs. and I were visiting her father and along the road was an empty lot with several cars with for sale signs on them.

Among them a 1964 Dodge Dart GT convertible. The paint was in good condition, and in peering into the window, it looked to have a new interior and top. I would say it had been restored at some point. I thought his price posted on the window was a bit high, but......

That's why I'm asking here. I didn't call the owner, nor did I pop the hood or really pay attention as to whether it was a stick or auto. My assumption is it is a 170 or 225 /6. I told the wife last night I should cash in a non performing 401K and pick it up. I just don't know whether it is worth an additional 10% for the tax hit (4 1/2 more years and it's a non issue).
    "You're only as old as the women you feel."
    -Groucho Marx
    Moparless for now

One good thing is...you google search 1964 Dodge Dart GT..and hit the shopping tab.....there is a butt load of parts for it out there...
    9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Originally posted by Unfettered
      Over the weekend, the Mrs. and I were visiting her father and along the road was an empty lot with several cars with for sale signs on them.

Among them a 1964 Dodge Dart GT convertible. The paint was in good condition, and in peering into the window, it looked to have a new interior and top. I would say it had been restored at some point. I thought his price posted on the window was a bit high, but......

That's why I'm asking here. I didn't call the owner, nor did I pop the hood or really pay attention as to whether it was a stick or auto. My assumption is it is a 170 or 225 /6. I told the wife last night I should cash in a non performing 401K and pick it up. I just don't know whether it is worth an additional 10% for the tax hit (4 1/2 more years and it's a non issue).
      A lot depends on the asking price , (which you did not post), and how bad you want it!

I would look VERY CAREFULLY at the equipment, originality of restoration, and the condition of the undercarriage.....those cars basically did not survive in this area in the Northeast Salt/Rust Belt.....very few left around here, especially a convertible! JMO!

Good luck, if you procede with this!

Comment

Well, The underside is the $1,000,000 question. I think it has been in the area (S.E. Kansas) for a while anyway. My cursory look, (about 3 minutes asw I had the wife and Father-in-law in the car) it looked pretty good.

The sign said they wanted $8500. The interior seats and carpet appeared new as did the door panels. I do know paint can hide a lot of defects. There are a lot of unknowns in this car (mileage, options, engine, etc.).
        -Groucho Marx
        Moparless for now

Comment

8500 is all the money for the car and full list of what's out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-dodge-d...-/131170333289 same/similar car. Low miles. 8500 and possibly comes with the blonde.

In my honest opinion, it's a bump around car without a small block. Top speed on those little 14's are going to be what, 65-68 mph tapped out? That's no way to be if driving a distance. If you're cashing in an investment, you either want another investment or better value. Say, around 6500-6800 to make it worth your while.

I'm thinking you have a 7-10 year ride on a car, assuming investment. For 7 grand right now to return 12ish to 18ish down the road, these are the cars you should be looking at. Before ANYBODY shoots me, there are some non-mopars here.

For 7500, you can get.......

A REALLY nice 76-79 Road Runner or Aspen R/T.
          '92 Firebird convertible or Firehawk.
          Ford Lighning ( don't laugh, it is a VERY serious truck )
          85-89 Monte Carlo SS or Choo Choo El Camino
          64-65 Chevelle
          Take your pick of Magnum's or a '79 300.
          Small block 70-76 Duster/Dart
          68-70 Cougar

The list goes on and on. Of course, all bets are off if your "thing" is '64 dart convertibles or if it's a forever car for you well into retirement. If it is, then no price matters.

Comment

Convert the 401 to a ROTH and work it. You will still have to pay the taxes but at least the ROTH is tax free on anything it makes from now on. IIRC, you have to leave the ROTH alone for 5 years to glean the no tax benefit. Sure wish I had went with the ROTH deal when I first heard about it and can't get my dumb ass youngest kid to at least start an IRA let alone a ROTH. She thinks the gooberment will interfere with it and change the rules.

Comment

I'm not sure what I really want to do. I was thinking it would be a knock around car just because you don't see them that often and if the price was right, it would make a nice investment (not to the tune of say a superbird Daytona). The reason the 401K isn't performing is that it is still with a previous employer and hasn't been added to in 5 1/2 years, (never mind the fact they moved the 401K to a different brokerage firm at the bottom of the market in 2009).

My preference is for an A100 truck, but I'm thinking those also have a limited upside for what I'd have to pay as well. My initial thought was if it were $5-6,000 it might be worth it, but I wasn't sure if the $8500 was a good price. I guess I'll be saving my money. :angel:
              -Groucho Marx
              Moparless for now

Comment

Working...
              X