Flex Plate Fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dobaroy View Post
    What I had heard was the ATF-4 was for the 500 and 518's, didn't know anybody used it on the older trans.
    It's used in many more than just the 500 and 518's.....

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Chrysler TSB# 21-006-01 notes that all current vehicles only use ATF+4 type 9602, part 05013457AA (for quart bottles). The advantages of ATF+4 over +3 (and Dexron for that matter) include:
    • Better anti-wear and anti-corrosion properties — and maintains its friction properties over time
    • Controls oxidation - eliminates deposits
    • Anti-foaming
    • Superior low temperature operation

You can use ATF+4 with all older Chrysler transmissions (except some Jeeps, as noted earlier, and very early automatics — before the TorqueFlite).
    Rich Hutchinson wrote: [In 1989-91] both the manual and the dipstick said Dexron was okay, which is wrong. For non lockup 3 spds, either can be used. For lockup 3 spds up to some date in 1999 either could be used but ATF+3 was prefered. After that date ATF+4 is to be used in all automatics.
    The best bet for transmissions made before 1998 is to just use ATF+4. Even if it's not needed, it's better than Dexron.

Also....

http://www.centerforqa.com/chrysler/about-atf4

Comment

It feels good to be back on the road!!!
      BIG THANKS TO TRANNYMAN AND KIRBY...
      '71 Dart with a 318!
      Mostly Old Parts And Rust!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigtom View Post
        It feels good to be back on the road!!!
        BIG THANKS TO TRANNYMAN AND KIRBY...
        Thank You Mr Tom. Happy Motoring!
        His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
        2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

What type of fluid did you go with?

Comment

We but some Exxon crap that is multi blended, We have three separate 250gal tanks, One for old cars, one for newer-ish cars and one synthetic. The other specialty fluids we buy in gallon or quart jugs.. some of that stuff is $50.00+ a quart.
            His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
            2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Dang, what in hay takes fluid that costs 50 bucks per quart!?

Comment

Yota, M.B. Nissan, some ZF units. Some of the new ZF'z and MB's come with the filter integrated into the transmission pan...
                We have done some $500.00+ fluid and filter changes and we were cheaper than the dealer..
                2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                X