Flex Plate Fun...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex Plate Fun...

Mine is cracked! 318 with a 904. Do I have to pull the tranny to do this? I might have to save some $$$, if I have to put it in a shop. At least I work in the same complex where I live..
    '71 Dart with a 318!
    Mostly Old Parts And Rust!

Pretty tight in there. I doubt you can get the converter to move back far enough to get a boxed end wrench on the bolts let alone get your hand up in there when you go back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
      Pretty tight in there. I doubt you can get the converter to move back far enough to get a boxed end wrench on the bolts let alone get your hand up in there when you go back together.

I'm not sure what model you are working on, but you will have to remove the driveshaft to get the transmission back out of the way, and you may not have enough room to slide it back far enough to remove the flexplate from the crankshaft; yes, you will be able to unbolt the flexplate from the converter, BUT it might be easier to pull the transmission altogether, just to get it out of the way!

Besides, on a 318, you just might want to change the two rear block freeze plugs, because they probably will be close to failure.......use BRASS plugs, too!
      And this would be impossible with the transmission only inches away....

While your in there.....you might as well replace the 904 with a 727.....and on and on and on!

Comment

Ain't no way that you can do it short of pulling the transmission even if you were lucky enough to get it out. There is only one way to bolt the plate to the crankshaft and even were you to get it up there you would likely be there till this time next year cussing yourself. Don't even try it.
        2 TIME (soon to be 3 time) 1000+ member EAGLES CLUB PRES.
        "PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE"

Comment

Pull the trans. Nuttin shy of a miracle will ever do it shy than right. In t'd and s/c, we have the convertor bolts come loose all the time, easier fix tho. those won't eat the back of the block and 10 minute fix. Use thredlocker red and hammer them into about 120 ft/lbs and you should be same. I install my flex plate bolts at 150# w/o threadlocker and have no problems @ over 800 HP. Intend to do the same in my new 1800 HP motor.
          Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
          "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
          I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Thanks for the answers... I live in an apartment (They will not let me do a tranny here) now that my wife kicked me out, so I will be carless for a while.
            I plan to save money and go see Trannyman. His shop did a rebuild and a ton of other work for me 2 years back before and I trust him...
            '71 Dart with a 318!

Comment

I have done them without pulling the trans all the way down and out from under the car, but yes/ the trans has to be 100% unbolted, depending on what body it is in you may be able to just slide it back and get in there with a 1/2" drive ratchet and short 3/4 socket. Youll need someone with another ratchet (or breaker bar) on the engine damper bolt.
              and yeah some kind of thread lock (can be blue, does not have to be red, still better than none) is a real good idea

The last one I did laying on my back that way was a Ramcharger, did have to take the transfer case off the trans, and slid it back as far as the firewall would let me.

Comment

Good News... After the new year I am fixing this... A bud just told me I can borrow his drive on ramps and torque wrench. I am going to wait until a Saturday morning when the manager is off the property and do what I need to do..
                '71 Dart with a 318!

Comment

Try to drain all the fluid out best you can, doing it on the ground usually makes a big mess.
                  His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
                  2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

And I hear that ATF-4 is the way to go and Walmart is one place where it's pretty cheap but you might have to go to more than one store to get the quantity you need. When I did my pickup, that is what I had to do but imo, it was worth the effort because the auto parts stores wanted 2-3 bucks more for it. I have two ChinaMarts pretty close by so it wasn't that much of an effort for me....

Comment

I just put a new converter in my dart a few months ago. I had to pull off the flex plate to drill it out because the new converter used the big block size bolts.
                      Anyway I was able to do the job on my ramps and I just kept the tranny under the car on the floor jack.
                      I agree with Cranky about the ATF-4. Unfortunately the Wal-Marts around here don't carry it. $8.00 a quart at the auto parts stores.

Ted

Comment

In my race cars, whether 727 or Powerglides, all I use is type f, readily availible at any O'Rielly's. sorry about that mention Mutt.
                        Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                        "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                        I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Not a bad idea to have a chain and crane or something in place in case your 318 decides to tip on the mounts, too, depending on the type. Don't get pushy and try to line the bell housing back up by tightening the bolts one at a time - real good way to crack a case.

Definitely lock tite the flex plate/flywheel bolts.

Dunno about Type F, usually ran ATF III, guess IV is the new III. I heard some people say 3 was hard on the older 3 speed autos, any truth to that?

Comment

What I had heard was the ATF-4 was for the 500 and 518's, didn't know anybody used it on the older trans.
                            1975 Charger SE E68 323
                            1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
                            1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
                            1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

Well... My flex plate is supposed to arrive today!
                              After considering the idea again and again I am going to pass on doing this job myself.
                              Trannyman has a great shop and I am booking a lot of work lately so it is going there at the end of the week.

1) He fixed it right the first time, and I trust him.
                              2) He has lifts and trans jacks and places to drain fluids
                              3) I will be on the road faster and not have to worry if I got it right
                              '71 Dart with a 318!

Comment

Working...
                              X