Radiator... Stock or aftermarket?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator... Stock or aftermarket?

I'm getting a radiator for my Dart... Is stock good enough? I have 300 to spend at this time..

Thanks in advance!
    '71 Dart with a 318!
    Mostly Old Parts And Rust!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-19...2720%26ps%3D54

cheaper than stock on rockauto or partstrain.

I'm sure with digging you can find a lot cheaper, tho.

Comment

That will not fit in a '71 Dart. He needs a 22" radiator, but the same place may have one. There are others out there too that have 22" radiators. I would definitely go with an aluminum replacement.
      The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
      ~Ted Nugent

Comment

ok..........
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Plymou...f17d6f&vxp=mtr

Comment

That looks to be a pretty damn good radiator, and includes a trans cooler. You never see that for that rice.

technically, brass as a metal disapates heat better than aluminum, but aluminum is stronger to where you run a higher pressure cap, thus raising the boiling point of water - so aluminum is better.
          Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
          Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
          Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

kinda what I thought. Even if you have 300 to spend and an oem style is avail at rock auto for the 200's range ( http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,2172 ), why not go for better ability and cheaper. Invest the money or save it wisely. Times are tight and bang for the buck, yadda yadda.

Comment

Probably made in China. Also, with more modern day radiators, the core is made of copper and the tanks are brass with today's radiators made of aluminum but, you can get larger tubes with aluminum which cool better than smaller copper tubes. Aluminum is harder to repair than the radiators of the 60's and 70's etc but they seem to last longer and like BK mentioned, aluminum radiators generally can withstand more pressure. However, I'm more of a low pressure user and don't worry much about boiling. Today's cars run hotter using 195 stats but I generally lower those a bit when the times comes to do maintenance. I've been running 7 lbs caps on my junk with no problem even with 100 degree temps stuck in traffic with the ac on. Just make sure you run a douchebag if you do that....should run one anyways. On a side note, the stock 2 core copper radiator finally crapped out in my 95 Dakota and I acquired a used single but much larger core aluminum rad for it and the thing has never run cooler!! I'm even running without a fan just to prove to people that you can do stuff like that if you have a good radiator/cooling system and the temps here have been in the 70's. So far, temps haven't gone over 200 sitting at a long light with the AC on but the fan will be going back on pretty soon.....yeah, I like to play with my cars....

Comment

Thanks for the replies.... Of course my wife went out and had her nails done for 50 bucks... We didn't have an extra 50 after bills... Wells Fargo started bouncing checks and after everything cleared and all penalties are paid I have 110 bucks left out of the 300 I made working a 2nd job Maybe next week!
                '71 Dart with a 318!

Comment

Life happens while living. Happy wife, happy life so they say. Mama happy, then you happy ( or at least less grief,lol).

Set the 110 aside and add a few bucks to the coffee can here and there. Before you know it, the money will be there. I don't think those ebay sellers are going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

My mistake was putting it in the bank and not a coffee can... I have learned a lesson here. I will not beat her too much tonight too..
                    Last edited by Bigtom; 03-14-2013, 04:27 PM.
                    '71 Dart with a 318!

Comment

get a box, put it in the garage. Write on it with sharpie "used underwear, good for cleaning oil leaks" and she'll never even go there. You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                      X