RB Big Block or Big Inch SM Block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB Big Block or Big Inch SM Block?

Have a '69 Dart. Want advice on a RB Big Block or Big Inch Small Block. Want a 'LEGIMATE' 10.5 sec street car, crusier, local shows, a few Bow Tie and Blue Ovals for dinner and occassional trip to the strip. 9", 4:11, 904, Recaro, glass fenders, hood, trunk and Alterkation... depending on engine, 2,850 - 2,950 lbs finished weight w/me in. Would like some comments. Go to Mopars at the Strip annually and see BOTH engines hard running! Very common to see both in the high 9's etc.

440 base. maybe a 400 base in an A body! As just a nice eddy head (preferably CNC ported) 493 to 500 inch stroker (.030 .060 over) with a 263/271 ish cam, 950 HP carb in that car will do the job quite well.
    May jump up to a 512 it's the same money to build!

Comment

What Dodgeboy8 said ...
      I'd go with the stroked BB simply cause I like having my distributor at the front of the block rather than in the rear.
      Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
      Lifer #49
      Member & webmaster, The Mopar Club of San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by zij576ca View Post
        What Dodgeboy8 said ...
        I'd go with the stroked BB simply cause I like having my distributor at the front of the block rather than in the rear.
        That's a good point but there many more reasons why I like a BB. However, a small block is lighter and I like that fact in a light car like the A body but if you are going with a BB, I'd go with a 400 based engine. Matter of fact, I would leave it as a stock stroke too.

Comment

I too like the idea of a nicely built S/B in an A body.

The one thing that the General did that made sense to me was, at one time, you could install a kit on your chebby S/B to put the distributor up front. Now, if Mom (or aftermarket) would do that for our S/B, it would remove a major objection to the design.
          Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
          Lifer #49
          Member & webmaster, The Mopar Club of San Diego

Comment

I like the 400 stroker idea. Then again, I had a Duster 340 that ran strong.

Comment

A 451 is a great motor to put into an A-Body. Costs a lot less to build one to go 10.5 than a 408.
              Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
              Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
              Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

408 is a lil' on the small side anymore for strokers, plenty out there displacing 416-444. The 444 stuff requires a bit more work, a bit more money, is easier starting with a newer 340 block (cheaper than older, and the block is all you need), needs a bit more head, but is capable of a decent bit more power. They usually don't wind as high as a big block unless they have a lot of head flow. Bonus is of course that you get to make less power, use lighter parts, and it can let you stay a step down in rear without breakage to keep the weight down some more. The dist is in the back, but it's not nearly impossible to get to in these cars.

The 451 is a great plant to go with for a BB. BBs can get very expensive if you aren't starting with much, especially when you have to mount them in cars. It's a bit lighter than a 440, fits better, the 451 can be done with modified stock parts, and you can bump the compression up to where it'll make better power just by doing the 451 bit.
                '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Problem is a well built 451 cost as much as a 512 and their is no replacement for cubic inch displacement!

Comment

Dodgeboy iz rite...I juss got a 512 stroker kit from 440 source, and in my opinion, it'z tha cheepest BB route!!....Only problem wit tha 512 iz your 9" tire, wit 4:11's won't kut it wit an Abody.....JMO

Comment

rb for my money

Comment

Have you decided yet? I like the big blocks for the 5 bolts per cylinder on the heads, distributor up front, insert type water pump, external oil pump, dry intake and a few other reasons. The low deck block is a bit lighter than the RB block and since the cylinder walls are shorter, they are more stable and the 400 blocks have more meat in the main area than the RB's do. Also since it's a low deck, you end up with a bit more room for headers....plus with a stock stroke engine, you can turn them more rpm but that's another matter. Generally, lighter cars like engines that rpm quicker and smaller cranks tend to rpm faster since they are a bit lighter.

Comment

like he says

Originally posted by T-REX View Post
                          Dodgeboy iz rite...I juss got a 512 stroker kit from 440 source, and in my opinion, it'z tha cheepest BB route!!....Only problem wit tha 512 iz your 9" tire, wit 4:11's won't kut it wit an Abody.....JMO
                          I agree with the rex, iz no sub for cube inch. and DAMN SHORE ain't gonna be a 9" tire hannel it even with a 3.91 gear!
                          Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                          "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                          I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Man, I see a lot of small cube engines beating the snot out of big cube ones. I remember many during the 60's and early 70's building small high winding engines but now everyone wants to build these big cube engines.

Comment

The problem here is you want to have your cake and eat it too. A true 10.50 car that is easily cruised isn't easy to nail. You have the right idea by trying it with an A-body. The 9x28 tire (275/60/15 BFG Drag Radial) with 4.11 gears is fine. My bet would be 400 block, stroked to 500 cubes, for best header fitment. CNC port the Eddy heads, flat tappet solid lifter cam, and the right choice of torque converter. Good 3" x-pipe exhaust, and a well thought-out fuel and ignition system should easily get this car into the 10s on paper. Getting it to hook isn't difficult. Cal-Tracs, mono leafs, Calvert front shocks, and a proper build on the front suspension with poly bushings. Put the battery in the trunk as well.
                              1970 Dart - 318 12.39 @ 109
                              1965 Chevelle - 388 10.18 @ 128
                              1994 Redline Jr Dragster - 10.22 @ 62
                              1999 Dodge Ram - Cummins
                              1986 Winnebago - Cummins

Comment

Working...
                              X