Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was never a believer in thin oils or running spark plugs a long time, but the 99 Town and Country minivan has made a believer out of me on both. I've ran the recommended 5W30 and it does not use any oil as it approaches 150k. The original plugs were changed out at 105k miles with not a bit of trouble, guess I'm half way to changing them again.
    Last edited by DobaMark; 06-01-2010, 04:00 AM.
    12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

I also worry about the plugs sticking in the heads after being in so long. Especially if the heads are iron.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumper View Post
        I've been getting the urge to change the plugs in mine. I have about 28,000 miles on it. I can't get my mind to accept 100,000 mile spark plugs. My son says I'm just wasting my money to change them early.
        Don't waste your money on new plugs as they will last almost forever! However the problem is the things siezing into the heads if left in for too long. Take em out, look at them for flaws, apply a little anti sieze and twist them back in. That will satisfy your tinkeritis and keep the plugs from freezing up in the heads!
        Mike Tritle
        AGM, Advance Auto Parts
        Belvidere, IL

Comment

Ours has just about 110k on it now with the factory plugs still in it. We will be bringing it in to the dealer for a full service including plugs in the very near future.

Ours is an early 06 and went in for service on the drivers window switch when new. Hasnt been back to the dealer since.

I want to get a full tune up with the latest system flash. Figure while it is there we will probably get shocks, struts, and an alignment as well. All of these parts are still the same ones it was born with LOL.

-Dave
          Please Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way!

Comment

I probably won't have mine long enough to worry about the plugs. After several trips to two different dealers to try to get something resolved on the loud knocking noise in my motor I sent Dodge off a note this morning regarding the problem. If I don't hear something from them that can help get this resolved I will probably be trading this thing in - or selling it outright. As much as I would love to trade it for a new Challenger I don't think I will now and risk a repeat problem on another new Dodge.
            This has been a very disappointing experiance for an old Mopar fan.

Comment

Unless 08 trucks don't have it, I only just found out... but then I've been lazy and letting the dealer change it free. Part of the deal I got until the warrenty ran out.

GOnna run the 3 years out before I ever get to 36K miles though.

Comment

Originally posted by gsmagnum View Post
                if my understanding was correct, if a person doesn't like their mds equipped hemi with a loud exhaust to sound like a farmall when the cylinders kick out, thicker oil is a cheap fix even if it will drop a few mpg.
                :roflmao: For each his own, but I didn't by my Hemi to run on 4 cylinders and sound like sound a blow turd, lol! If I knew that it wouldn't hurt the engine and maybe improve the oiling...I'd change over to 10w 30 because I can hear and feel mine very well and I don't like it.
                Last edited by RadioFlyer; 09-02-2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by gsmagnum
                  if my understanding was correct, if a person doesn't like their mds equipped hemi with a loud exhaust to sound like a farmall when the cylinders kick out, thicker oil is a cheap fix even if it will drop a few mpg.

Not sure if this is a fix or would cause more issues. My knocking is only evident at idle. Anything off idle and she growels nicely. I don't notice any noise or rattle at low cruising speeds where the MDS is supposed to be working. I do wonder what other effects a heavy(ier) oil would have on the computer programing? Might well cause some other issue to develop?

Comment

Heavier oil will run hotter and cause sludging. Engines are clearanced for the lighter stuff and the lubrication qualities are far superior now to what we ran "back in the day."
                    Mike Tritle
                    AGM, Advance Auto Parts
                    Belvidere, IL

Comment

Mine sounds like there is enough clearance to run 50W - and still slap around
                      Actually got some feedback from Arrington Engines this morning on the knocking I hear. Best explaination (most logical) I have heard yet. They claim the noise is basiclly a result of the MDS system. It is coming from the lifters not getting enough oil pressure at idle to pump them up fully. The solution is to either drop the MDS system which apparently can be done with one of the handheld tuners - or replace the lifters with the 6.1L lifters and a larger oil pump if I want to keep the MDS operational. Of course if you're going to do the lifters you may as well change the cam - and if you are that far into it might as well change to some ported heads, larger throttle body.......

Comment

Originally posted by Stumper View Post
                        Mine sounds like there is enough clearance to run 50W - and still slap around
                        Actually got some feedback from Arrington Engines this morning on the knocking I hear. Best explaination (most logical) I have heard yet. They claim the noise is basiclly a result of the MDS system. It is coming from the lifters not getting enough oil pressure at idle to pump them up fully. The solution is to either drop the MDS system which apparently can be done with one of the handheld tuners - or replace the lifters with the 6.1L lifters and a larger oil pump if I want to keep the MDS operational. Of course if you're going to do the lifters you may as well change the cam - and if you are that far into it might as well change to some ported heads, larger throttle body.......
                        Ain't that the truth...and if you do all that you may as well put a whole new engine in it, lol!

Comment

They gave me a price today of just over $3600 for new ported heads, cam, 6.1L lifters and bigger oil pump. The heads and cam would add 75 to 85 RWHp...

Comment

Hey Stumper...I wanted to tell you thanks for the info from Arrington. It confirms my suspicions about my 09 truck doing this a couple of times just before oil change time. Some have argued that it was an issue with the rear exhaust bolts (an RRT) but I knew that it wasn't the case with mine...it's make a lot of sense. In my case it was valve train noise and it would only occur at start up after sitting a while. And I could actually hear and feel the engine start to run smoother as the lifters pumped up. Thankfully it rarely happens and it goes away quick but it's still something for me to feel cautious about. That info is reason enough for me to stick with the 5W-20 like the good book says for now, lol!

Comment

Mine does it all the time at idle. Well once it's warmed up a bit at least. I am still waiting to hear back from Dodge to see if they will acknowledge anything or have a solution. My warrenty will be up soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X