Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay- what category will they be in? 08-69 Road Charger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay- what category will they be in? 08-69 Road Charger?

Did a couple searches to see if there were any conversations about the Mopar Action article describing the re-body of the 08 SRT Charger with a B-body Road Runner? Is this the way to do the old cars now? I have a 69 Coronet 500 still in Alaska, looking to get it shipped here, and I might be picking up a 09 or 10 Charger SRT myself. For the price of the Charger, it is just about cheaper than a full restify R/T clone I was planning on. I can do 95% of the fab work myself, and have a local body man that is really good to make sure it looks and fits right. Seriously considering this swap- ESPECIALLY if they start offering that 392 Hemi as a stock-street option LOL http://www.moparaction.com/

What category? Good question! I dunno.....if the chassis is bad on the older car, then why not but if it's not all rusted out, I'm happy with the original style stuff.

Comment

for me there is something special about an old car,you sit inside & start remembering a simpler time .
      1968 dodge charger resto mod
      http://www.moparstyle.com/forums/car...ad.php?t=19039

Comment

Yeah, these Frankenmopars don't interest me too much. Saw a 70 cuda on ebay that they put the new challenger nose and tail panels on......Yuck! Why mess with an iconic 70 cuda ?!

Comment

A new suspension like that under an old car like this doesn't make quite the sense you'd think it would. They're very different animals, it's not "newer and better", it's different. The "meshing" of the two really would end up with a car that's not as good as either in my opinion- it'd give up a lot of the creature comforts of the new car while taking away from the fun and attitude of the old car.
          '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Originally posted by 270SE View Post
            A new suspension like that under an old car like this doesn't make quite the sense you'd think it would. They're very different animals, it's not "newer and better", it's different. The "meshing" of the two really would end up with a car that's not as good as either in my opinion- it'd give up a lot of the creature comforts of the new car while taking away from the fun and attitude of the old car.
            Hmm, I hear what you are saying, but for me, it is the styling of the old car more than anything else. For a long time, they were also the quickest and fastest things with huge amounts of HP. But now, the new cars are killing the old cars in terms of performance as well!

Check out the build albums:

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnm...9960819&type=3

Freakin' Amazing! I am going to pick up an SRT8 if I get this new job that pays my car payments (will know in a couple months) and drive it for three years, and do this swap if can.

I had some parts already collected for my ol' Coronet, to make it EFI, to have a six speed, to make it handle etc. I figured the price and work I would spend to make my "restified clone" of a six pack efi R/T could actually run me more $ in the long run, and have less performance overf all!

I am pretty stoked about it, and may just go ahead and pull the trigger on the SRT8 anyway- I found one for a great price local. Might put the redline crate motor in it even LOL- we just have safety inspection, motor swaps are no big deal, licensing wise.

Comment

Originally posted by jasperjacko View Post
              Yeah, these Frankenmopars don't interest me too much. Saw a 70 cuda on ebay that they put the new challenger nose and tail panels on......Yuck! Why mess with an iconic 70 cuda ?!
              Okay, that is just stupid, (oops, that sounded like an insult to you win re-read- I mean, putting those panels on the new challenger is just stupid-) What I like about this Road Charger is that it looks TOTALLY old school B-body, but is really an 08 in every way. Here, mine would be titled as the year of the new car.
              Last edited by cruisingram; 04-25-2013, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Yeah, the newer suspensions do make the new cars handle very well but after having a 71 340 Cuda with the original setup including factory front and rear sway bars, I'm very satisfied with the way it handled. Yeah, it didn't ride as smooth as the brand new cars and maybe not keep up with a new one on a slalom course, I was still impress with the handling from such a stock setup and with better shocks, poly sway bushings, it got even better. Even though I don't know how hard it is to work on the newer chassis, the old stuff isn't hard at all not to mention I really don't care for all the electronic engine management systems on the new stuff. Yeah, it's pretty awesome how much power you can get from them but when something fails, you need high dollar equipment to pinpoint what's wrong and even then, it can be a crap shoot. Yeah, you can get a cheap scan tool from China Fright but those are not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Another drawback would be you have an older body which is cool looking but it's mounted to a new chassis, interior etc which is very labor intensive. If you can do that yourself, more power to you and it will save a bundle if you can do the work yourself. It still won't be cheap. It's not something that this old man wants to do these days. Hell, I'm having trouble just getting my old 66 back together! Good luck with the project and post pics! It still intrigues the hell out of me to see projects like this take place.

Comment

I hear you, and have done the handling thing on a 69 Valiant that did great in our local state (when I was in Alaska) sports car races. And the other drawback is that here in Hawaii, it is an electronics killer. You think it is the salt air if you didn't live here, but it is really the acid rain from the vog emmited from the Volcano. I have started a small powder coating business that is growing due to the problems with the vog and salt air eating metal away. I am always mostly focused on motorcycles, but I want to get my Valiant and Coronet up to snuff, I will have those cars till the day I die LOL. I am working on a 98 Jeep right now, converting it over to a Mercedes turbo diesel (617, modified) and also just picked up a Dodge Cummins truck that will get an old Jeep wagoneer body- fuel is so expensive here, bio-fuel is the way to go.

Comment

Good Luck and post pictures!!

I like the way I can feel the engine under my feet and the way my Ol' Dart makes me feel like I'm 18 again...
                    '71 Dart with a 318!
                    Mostly Old Parts And Rust!

Comment

Working...
                    X