Checking Transmission fluid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Transmission fluid

No dip stick on modern mopars, so how do you check the tranny fluid? I guess I need to pickup a manual for my Ram truck and Magnum. So far I've had the dealer change the oil on both. The Magnum has very low miles so no suggestions of any other maintenance. On the truck, everytime they suggest I do something. Today it was change differencial gear lube and tranny fluid. They want close to a grand. lol Not likely. Time I start maintaining my own just like I do with the older cars.

Maybe I should sell them and buy a 6 speed standard Challenger.

Originally posted by Bblock
    No dip stick on modern mopars, so how do you check the tranny fluid?
    4800 dollar starscan tool or simply wait for the check engine light to flash
    Last edited by ~~Mutt~~; 05-23-2012, 12:20 PM.
    9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Thanks Mutt. I guess I wait for the light or continue to get the oil changed at the dealer. They told me my transmission fluid is looking dirty. Does the 4800 dollar scanner tell them that. I doubt it. I've always changed my own tranny fluid and filter, but maybe it's not so easy on these new cars. Probably have to reset a computer or something.

Comment

I do my own but I have the 'old school' 2000 Durango and 97 2500 diesel. How many miles are on them?

Comment

You can buy a dipstick on eBay. But the scan tool will read the temperature of the fluid which determines where it should be on the dipstick.
          12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

Just over 50,000 miles on the truck. 12,000 on the Magnum. The Magnum is fine and I suspect the truck is too. If there's nothing different about changing the tranny fluid and filter, I'll do it myself one of these days. Everything is working fine on the truck. Never changed the gear lube in my old power wagon differentials and never had a problem. Everytime I go in for an oil change and lube on the truck they come up with a bunch of expensive things that should be done. Even changing the plugs which was way out of line. Yeah, i know there's 16, but I'll carefully do them myself and hopefully not break one off in the head.

Comment

it isn't even recommended until 60k on police/taxi/severe duty ( a lot of towing ) vehicles. I don't believe you to be in any harm's way by just waiting on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bblock View Post
                They told me my transmission fluid is looking dirty. Does the 4800 dollar scanner tell them that. I doubt it.
                So what you do there is while your waiting for the light to come on...keep an eye out for a tranny leak..then look at the spill...right?? LOL

I always have the tranz shop flush my system @ 15K miles.. Just gives me piece of mind..
                On my MrNormST I drop the pan and change the filter @ 10K miles...Just haven't got 10K on it yet..I think I am now around 4900 miles.. Not bad for an 08 hua?
                9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Originally posted by ~~Mutt~~ View Post
                  I think I am now around 4900 miles.. Not bad for an 08 hua?
                  I must find an place to live where the bait shop and liquor store is only a block away...

Comment

I used to service all my old schools trans at 30k miles. One day I was asked why, by a knowleable sorta person/racing buddy. He said, if it's all pretty red and the trans is acting ok and it doen't smell burnt, why do ya wanna mess with it? he also asked why I had a trans cooler on the RR. He then told me that it took the fluid to be over 425 degrees for lots more than a few seconds to hurt the fluid. A Mopar seminar I went to confirmed this. we removed the cooler, ran a braided line between the two fittings and installed a trans temp gauge. Even with a Griner and a 5200 convertor, I never saw the temp above 270 and never had a fluid related failure. Just what I have experienced and thought I'd share.
                    Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                    "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                    I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not in a hurry to change the fluid and filter. I'll read up on it and hopefully do it myself as I've always done.

Comment

My GM's are the same way, no stick. I change them out at 50,000 (same 60,000 recommendation) and don't worry about it. The newer tranny fluid is synthetic.
                        "You're only as old as the women you feel."
                        -Groucho Marx
                        Moparless for now

Comment

Working...
                        X