New Car Break in Oil question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car Break in Oil question

Do the newer cars (I'm talking about my 12 Charger, and other LXs) have an additive for break in, or is is still good idea to change the factory supplied oil sooner than a standard oil change?

All of the new cars I've bought treat the first oil change as a regular interval oil change. Remember to use the recommended weight with the Hemi and automatic.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

I changed the oil in my 3.6 at 800 miles or so. I just put dino oil back in it and then hit the time to change at 6 months and changed it to synthetic at 6400 mi.
      Proper weight for the 3.6 is 5W-30. The filter is a cartridge filter (IE not spin on) accessed from the top in a plastic canister toward the front of the engine. I think it is a 24 mm wrench needed (might be bigger....a crescent hammer would probably be fine) to remove the top of the canister. The only thing you have to do under the car is remove and reinstall the plug after things are drained.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

I haven't heard of or read about any additive from the factory for break in. At 10,000 mi, our 3.6 hasn't used a drop or had any problems.
      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

So back to the canisters of the old days huh?
        I was wondering what the cylinder was dead center of the engine. That's the cartridge.
        Does it drop oil everywhere or pretty clean install?

Apparently the car is equipped with a oil system indicator that tells you when the oil needs changing. I would hope this is based on the quality of the oil rather than a simple miles calculator.
        I do like the Hobbs meter the car has, good to know the running time.

Comment

It will be by miles, at least that's what it is for my Challengers
          Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
          Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
          Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Actually, I think they are based on engine revolutions. I used to drive a 2007 GMC Cargo van, and in the winter with a lot of idling, the change oil light would come on before the mileage was due.
            Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

All these new Mopars have hour meters, so I am betting that is what the oil light goes off of. Mine didn't come on when I did the change at 6400 mi. (I didn't reset it at 800)
              The filter change is pretty clean. I think I had a drop or two dripped, but nothing that didn't easily wipe off...or could have been prevented with better use of rags. That cylinder is your oil filter.
              The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
              Ronald Reagan

Comment

My truck seems to be set on 3 months exactly??? does not seem to regard the miles/kilometers???

Comment

oil settings

It's based on 3 things, what the mileage computer tells i,the tach tells it, and what the odometer tells it, I just went thru it today on mom's Lesabre. Change the oil and reset the computer in the dash. all is fixed till next oil cjange.
                  Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                  "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                  I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Working...
                  X