Mufflers for Charger R/T

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mufflers for Charger R/T

Toying with the thought of putting some louder mufflers on my 2008 Charger R/T. I see everyone makes a cat back system for these cars and would be interested in any experiances with these. Also, as the title implies I was wondering if anyone has just changed out the mufflers on one of these newer Hemi's and if so with what?

I'm honestly not planning to keep my Charger any longer than it takes me to save up for a trade to a new Challey SRT but I would like to add a little tone to it while I still have it - without doing the entire system if I can avoid it.

Any decent muffler shop should be able to select and replace only the mufflers.
    As for what kind, it's up to your preferance. Half as many choices as their is in a juke box. I put a flowmaster 70 series on my 72, and am real impressed with the sound, quiet enough at idle, loud enough at WOT, and a nice deep tone. Most people that heard it thought my truck was packing a big block.
    Also, is their resonators and mufflers on your car? If so, just eliminating the resonators may give you the sound you are looking for without having to spend on mufflers.
    Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

These cars have a large common / crossover type of resonator on them. At least that is what I have been told it is. The two pipes from either bank of the engine run into it and two come out each going to a muffler. I have read that without the resonator on these things there is a serious "drone" on the highway when the car is in the MDS mode.??

Comment

A bit different

OK On a 5.0 HO T-bird. The last 2 I have cut off the front convertor, ran 2 2" pipes thru the tunnel, removed the resonator and 3RD convertor, duals over the rear end, into 2 SMALL Thrush super turbo mufflers. FANTASTIC TONE, idle or otherwise and performance gain above beyond imagination. Yet quiet enuf to cruise town and not draw attention, much.
        Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
        "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
        I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Several years back I pulled the muffler off of my V8 Dakota and added a pipe in place of the muffle and just ran the cat. Sounded dang good and the first time time I had to get it inspected the guy complimented on the sound and asked if I had a 'Flow on it. Yup..... No drone at any speed but every model is different. I have a straight pipe on my present V6 and it has no drone at any time but it can be nasty sounding if I get on it. Other than that, it's a bit loud but sounds pretty good in normal driving. I would try it without the mufflers and see how it sounds...
          Last edited by Cranky; 11-04-2011, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Supposedly, there's something about the MDS on these cars that results in a bad drone when cruising on the highway and the cylinders drop out. That's what I've heard anyways. I see Dynamax has a complete SS system that includes from the resonator on back but it's $900. I really don't want to stick a lot of money into this one, just want to add some "rumble" to it. Since it's rainy today maybe I'll pull it in the garage and size up whats there now and see what i can find for just replacement mufflers.

Comment

Where are the resonators and mufflers located on this car? Resonators in the tail?

Comment

I knew someone with a Flowmaster on their newer body style Challenger SRT-8, and kept the cat(s) on, I personally wasn't impressed at how quiet it was. I'm a firm believer that cats reduce the throaty, muscle sound.
                2008 Black Jeep Liberty 4x4
                Far from stock

Comment

Cats do reduce the sound - but there's not much you can do about them on these newer cars.
                  Cranky, I believe the resonator on this car is about mid body and the mufflers are at the rear? Here's a shot of the underside from the back facing forward. The mufflers are at the rear corners not visible in the picture.

Comment

The one shown above is actually the muffler. The two at the rear by the bumper is the resonator. On my Charger I had the resonators cut off and replace with pipe. Yes it droned. That is because of the expanse trunk area, it acts as a resonance chamber. It sounded way better but had a tiny bit of raspyness. Then I had them cut off the muffler and installed 2 Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers and it sounded even better.

On the Challenger I had them take the muffler off this time and replace it with pipes keeping the resonators. Waaaaaay better sound than stock no drone and about 40 bux. Ran this until I got my Mopar catback.

Cheery Bomb offers catbacks for these cars for a very reasonable cost too.
                    2010 Challenger "The Detonator"
                    2006 Charger FRI 392 Stroker

Comment

Originally posted by charginscott View Post
                      The one shown above is actually the muffler. The two at the rear by the bumper is the resonator. On my Charger I had the resonators cut off and replace with pipe. Yes it droned. That is because of the expanse trunk area, it acts as a resonance chamber. It sounded way better but had a tiny bit of raspyness. Then I had them cut off the muffler and installed 2 Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers and it sounded even better.

On the Challenger I had them take the muffler off this time and replace it with pipes keeping the resonators. Waaaaaay better sound than stock no drone and about 40 bux. Ran this until I got my Mopar catback.

Cheery Bomb offers catbacks for these cars for a very reasonable cost too.
                      Well that's interesting .... shows you how much I know about these new vehicles. Thanks.. So on your Challenger you just eliminated the muffler?? Did you put an "X" pipe or anything in or just run straight back to the resonators? Was the sound very loud or ????

Comment

I really like Dynomax systems if I do my 08 truck it will be Dynomax!

Comment

They do have a decent looking cat back system for this car and Mancini has it on sale right now for around $800 - but I'm not sure I want to stick that kind of money in it. I'm still hoping to work up the funds and balls to by a new Chally SRT .....

Comment

decisions decisions!

Comment

cheap!

I got 2 OLD cherry bombs outta the machine shed to mount on the 1979 big tire truck right at the collectors to start with. I KNOW it'll be way louder than I wanna hear at first, but the plan is to run 2 1/2" pipes way back from the headers then into Thrush Super Turbos (I have them on my T-bird, makes a 302 sound like a 428) and turn the tailpipes out right behind the rear tires. If it even sounds halfway decent, then I'll put headers on the 5.9L 90 Ramcharger (they even take the SAME headers!) and run 2 1/2" pipe all the way back into either Flowmasters or Dyno Max mufflers. If you have ever seen a Ramcharger Exhaust system, you'd ask yourself, "how does this bastard have any power at all?".
                              I'd rather hear a nice exhaust at a lower volume from the mufflers being further back, and let all those beside or behind me enjoy the volume more than me and cuss me for it!:ROFLMAO:
                              Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                              "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                              I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Working...
                              X