Royal Purple oil change. Ouch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Purple oil change. Ouch

I just got back from the loacl auto parts place. 5k miles is coming up soon and I want to change over to royal purple. 75 dollars. owwwww.

Does anybody else use RP in thier Chally's or other cars? Why/why not? I hear it's an ultra grade lubricant and I shouldn't have any issues with it or the Wix filter clear into 10k intervals.

synthetics

I'm using Shell full syn in my older 93, 5.0 H.O. T-Bird right now. Not meaning to down talk sponsors, but it's lots cheaper. It HAS brought my mileage up, is still extremely clean at the 2000 mile mark and only intend to change the filter and add a quart at the 3000 mile mark. Then check it again at the 5k mark and maybe keep on going.
    Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
    "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
    I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

I have never used it. All the synthetics seem to be between 8-10 a quart. I don' think RP is any better than say Mobil One..

One thing with the new cars, they are a lot more efficient and produce way less deposits in the lubrication. You can run a lot longer between oil changes. One of my diesel truck buddies took his CTD to 10,000 miles and sent the oil out for analysis when he changed it. It was still within specs.
      His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
      2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Myself and GS were talking about oil the other day. He brought up the point that MB1 isn't certified for the newer Mopars yet. Yes- I (we) know there shouldn't be any problems, but if something did go wrong Mopar could blame it on the oil.
        Hats off to MB1 for going through the certification before agreeing to the standard.
        http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...r_MS-6395.aspx

I'd like to hear more about RP users too.

Comment

Well, I feel pretty safe with the Royal Purple. My buddy at NAPA has a '10 Chally, another buddy has a furious fuscia, another has an '09.... all three use RP and say not a problem at all. I also did a 500 mile oil filter only change. True dino oil change at 1500. Now it's near 5k and even though everybody says I could have done it sooner, I feel I can safely change over to a good quality synthetic and just go on a 10k schedj. ( 15k, 25k,35k, etc. Easy to remember).

As mentioned, I'd like to hear of other RP users chime in. I'd also like to know if anybody changed over to any of thier products later on when they felt the time was right or if it's just bunk. Change trans fluid at xxxxxmiles, rear diff at xxxxxx, etc. Or should I just do that with dino/mfr recommend at what the book says. The payments are going to last forever, I just want to make sure the car does as well :P

Comment

I use it in the race cars

I use the gear lube in all of the race cars, and any car I've changed the lube in
            Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
            Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
            Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Then it must work under some pretty extreme conditions. What about daily driver use, tho. More specifically, what do you use in your LC body cars. Same?

Comment

I think everything else in the car (Trans, diff, etc) are all Synthetic already so it's seems logical to go with the Motor oil too.

Comment

http://www.scribd.com/doc/88407433/3...-GENUINE-PARTS

oddly, the power steering they rocommend atf? Rear lubricant is a 75W90 with a "friction modifier".... zero clue what that is. Gobbeldy gook just to get you to use mopar only things?

Comment

ATF+4 has been in use for awhile now. My 02 Ram takes this for it's PS. That link is for the SRT8, I know you didn't get the that since it's Blackberry. I don't think it's available in those cars.

Comment

Originally posted by nonstick View Post
                      http://www.scribd.com/doc/88407433/3...-GENUINE-PARTS

oddly, the power steering they rocommend atf? Rear lubricant is a 75W90 with a "friction modifier".... zero clue what that is. Gobbeldy gook just to get you to use mopar only things?
                      IIRC the friction modifier is for the limited slip
                      Peter
                      '65 Chrysler 300 vert 413/4spd ; '69 Monaco 500 318/727 ; '69 Monaco 3-seat wagon 383HP/727

Comment

fluid needs are all pretty much the same though. I'd say let me flip through and check my owners' manual, but they don't give them to you anymore ( cheap idiots). I think I have a disk somewhere tho.

My car is basically a 6 cyl with upgraded suspension and brakes/tires/visual group the same as the RT has. ( SST package code). I wanted to drive it year round is why.

Comment

Originally posted by nonstick View Post
                          fluid needs are all pretty much the same though. I'd say let me flip through and check my owners' manual, but they don't give them to you anymore ( cheap idiots). I think I have a disk somewhere tho.

My car is basically a 6 cyl with upgraded suspension and brakes/tires/visual group the same as the RT has. ( SST package code). I wanted to drive it year round is why.

The fluids are different for each engine. As per my manual: (and you already know we have different transmissions)

Comment

pardon.... same "types" of fluids. HOAT for the radiator, etc etc etc. I just don't see where anythying is synthethetic besides rear diff.. Capacities? Sure. Grades, that too. But all variations on the theme. ( I don't agree with the 87 octane being ok in these cars. I've noticed a difference between that and better grades. Both mileage and response wise. 89 does well)

As for the trans, I'm pretty happy I waited for the '12, but got an earlier model for the 5 speed. I tested the new trans on a Charger they had sitting on the lot. It's impressive for a highway car as it sits around 1500rpm doing 80. However, for the type of driving I do, it would be singing up and down all day long trying to find out where it'd be comfy. It was a scant bit annoying, to say the least. WHY we can't have a stick with that 6cyl is beyond me, tho. It literally makes no sense not to put one in that car. That ticks me off a lot

All in all though, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the car. Impressed enough to want to keep it longer than the payments :P
                            Last edited by nonstick; 05-24-2012, 04:01 PM.

Comment

ATF+4 is full synthetic I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X