Do Wheelies slow you down?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigtom
    started a topic Do Wheelies slow you down?

Do Wheelies slow you down?

I watched Pinks the other day and this kid in a Corvette was popping huge wheelies in every race. He lost in the final by just a few feet. My question is if he had not been do this would he have gone faster? I think so , but the drag racers would know for sure...

• projectmopar
    replied
    Originally posted by BK View Post
    I agree with that. There are a certain percentage of guys that are more into show than go. Their wheel stands go too high and are slamming down way too hard -- not only screwing their 60' and 330' -- but damaging parts.If the wheel stand gets out of control you need to hit 2nd gear ("If you see blue - shift to 2") but not lift. These guys coming down too hard are lifting.
    More Show than Go in many cases like BK stated. I have worked at local tracks since 1955 as a tech official through AHRA, NHRA, and local track tech groups. In 2006 I was working the NHRA Mile High Mopar Nationals in Denver I asked Allen Johnson and V. Gaines (a Denver friend) about the wheelie thing when a 990 car made a pass with the front end looking upward. Both agreed that's the last thing they wanted in Pro Stock.

"If you watch these guys the right wheel may come up a few inches and probably only once because someone didn't make the proper adjustment on the wheelie bars" per "Grumpy" Jenkins who was waiting for me to go to lunch.

They can't afford wasted time making repairs on damage from wheel stands when they have other tasks to perform on the car for the next round.

After 50 years of drag racing I decided to stop, but that's easy to say as I get calls to go with friends running in the Comp Classes with some success - can't say No to them either. My wife is pretty cool with me going and knowing that I'm not done yet.....

Last edited by projectmopar; 05-25-2014, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hemisatellite
    replied
    I broke a set of wheelie bars once on launch, it was scary, and did a lot of damage. Now that I'm in dragster cars instead of door slammers, wheels up can be REAL SCARY!!!! I took the short car (225" WB) down to Jerry Taliaferro's shop in Topeka over the winter and he built me an 80" wheelie bar for it. We'll see how it does next week during and after my license runs in Topeka. MSD is set @ 7500 launch RPM, cross your fingers. All in all, if the front end is going up, it's NOT going forward. Think about it.

Leave a comment:

• hemi67s
    replied
    Originally posted by ~~Mutt~~ View Post
    "More than 3 inches is a waist of time.. "

Lee Shepherd told me that at my 2nd Pro Stock race in Bristol Tn
    Best thing I read in a long time!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ~~Mutt~~
    replied
    "More than 3 inches is a waist of time.. "

Lee Shepherd told me that at my 2nd Pro Stock race in Bristol Tn

Leave a comment:

• hemi67s
    replied
    Old Hippie is right their are guys that do it for show and i love to see the big wheel stands, but have seen alot of torn up stuff as a result. Saw a 65 Dart at the Mopar festival this year put it on the bumper, unloaded the tires and come crashing to the ground, broke about everything you can break on the front end, plus the bottom of the oil pan, headers and so on. Sure felt bad for him, nice car and he was not trying to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Originally posted by Fugly View Post
    If the car comes down too quick and unloads the tires, there will obviously be a problem.....
    My first 'fast' car was doing just that and it was the reason I learned about chassis and suspension setup. I know there's a lot I still don't know about but I do know what works for me....and doing big wheelies is not what I want my car to do. Nice to look at tho

Leave a comment:

• Only Mopars
    replied
    If wheel stands were productive the pro stockers and others would be standing on end using them. They prefer forward motion rather than upward motion. Srockers are limited to what they can do to the chassis so they will pull them rather that try to to tune around them. Coming down too hard also is real hard on parts.
    Last edited by Only Mopars; 09-08-2010, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hemisatellite
    replied
    I always tended to keep my front end low. tends to keep underneath parts undamaged if the front end comes down a little hard for whatever reason however, if too low, and launched real hard, like NOS set on all out kill off the line, wheelie bars ARE parts that can break and cause even more damage, been there etc.

Leave a comment:

• BK
    replied
    I agree with that. There are a certain percentage of guys that are more into show than go. Their wheel stands go too high and are slamming down way too hard -- not only screwing their 60' and 330' -- but damaging parts.

Scotty Jiles runs with us and last year at Milan he hit so hard that he bent the car to where one door wouldn't open and the other wouldn't close. They worked on the car all year and got it fixed for Zmax. I asked if he was done with the Monster wheel stands -- and he said he was. However in qualifying again this year at Milan he slammed down too hard again and had to run to Mancini for an oil pan, pick up, and rod bearings.

On my Coronets I can put either on the bumper -- but have the black one that Dallas drives set (4-link) to come up about 18" and carry about 50' before setting down nice and easy. My red car has wheelie bars and for my best 60' and 330' I set them to have the front come up 15-18 inches and come down easy when I hit second gear.

All of the faster Super Stock will have the front wheels come up a little (not on the bumper) and carry it out smoothly to where the front wheels will not bounce when the car comes down. That's just what appears to work for them -- or they wouldn't all be doing it. It is totally different that with a tube chassis door-slammer or dragster with perfect race tuned balance.

If the wheel stand gets out of control you need to hit 2nd gear ("If you see blue - shift to 2") but not lift. These guys coming down too hard are lifting.

Leave a comment:

• Fugly
    replied
    It's fairly simple physics-if you pick the front end up any more than necessary to keep the tires planted, you are wasting energy. If the car comes down too quick and unloads the tires, there will obviously be a problem.....keep in mind the stockers are not tunable to the point of some as far as the chassis limitations go......

Leave a comment:

• storm king
    replied
    I watch the stockers at NHRA and other events and I see the cars yank the wheels up, and slam them down hard. That is most assuredly counter productive. If they're carrying them and set them down light, the chassis is working. To yank and slam is upsetting the chassis and means with a different set up the car should go faster. Just my .02...

Leave a comment:

• BK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BK
    replied
    Speaking of Big Daddy. Here's him in qualifying.

Leave a comment:

• BK
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X