In gear stalling issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In gear stalling issues

I just bought a '73 roadrunner mostly set up as a drag car. 440, 915 heads, torquer 2, .557 lift cam, 3800 stall converter. As the car came with an old 700 Holley it wouldn't stay running when pulled into gear. Put a new 850 hp Holley with 4 corner idle on. Idles fine at 1000 rpm, pull it in gear and it dies. Has 7-8 inches of vacuum at idle. Have put a new intake gasket on and doesn't appear to be leaking. Fatten up the idle and raise rpms to 1500, and it will barely stay running at about 5-600 rpms. Any thoughts? Thanks for any help or ideas.

Look for a vacuum leak by spraying Carb Cleaner around the gasket areas around where the carb mounts to the intake and other areas where you could have a gasket leak. If engine runs a little faster when spraying -- you found your leak. If you've used rubber caps to block off vacuum lines - inspect them for missing of breaks. Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
    My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

Yes, I've done that and doesn't appear to be any leak areas. Starting to think I might have a converter or transmission issue. It shouldn't be pulling the rpms down that bad when putting it in gear.

Comment

Does it drop RPMs and stall immediately or take a couple seconds?
        What RPM is the engine stalling at?
        Is tach fluttering before stall or smoothly dropping?
        Any unusual noises coming from converter/trans when putting in gear?
        Are you experiencing any strange engine vibrations?
        Have you looked at your plugs, and performed a leak down?

I guess it could be converter, but that would be rare with out major vibration or noise. I'm thinking engine, but might have a better guess with above information.
        My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

• Kurtab
          Kurtab commented
          Editing a comment
          Stalls almost emmediately. Engine idles smooth and fine at 800 to 1000. Tach seems stabile. Can't hear anything wrong when I drop it in gear but it has 4" exhaust and is fairly loud. No strange vibrations that I can tell. Plugs look pretty clean, have not done a leak down. It drives out strong once you get past the idle stall point

You might have more cam than the street wants. On my drag cars I need to have idle in neutral at about 1300 for it to drop to 750 when put in gear and stay running after a burnout.

Comment

What's your jetting and power valve?

Comment

Also found out over the weekend that the tranny had sat for about 6-8 years before it was put back together with this combination. Previous owner says the torque converter is new

Comment

Power valve and jets are whatever came on the new Holley 850 hp. I went up and down on an 800 with the power valve and still had same problem

Comment

If it's dying as soon as you put it in gear , then your Torque converter is junk. Try this ! Put it in neutral and start it up. drop it into a gear. If it dies like it's doing otherwise , Torque converter's junk.
                All throttle , no bottle .

Comment

Ok tried the following tonight. Idling fine at 1000 in park. Dies within 2-3 seconds after pulling it in gear.
                  Started in park, pull into neutral, dies slowly within 8-10 seconds. This issue seemed to go away after it was warmed up better.
                  Started in neutral, feathered the throttle, pulled into first, died within 2-3 seconds.
                  Started it, pulled into first gear, applied foot brake and gave it throttle. Started spinning the tires at about 16-1800 rpms.
                  Started again, engaged trans brake, rpms came up to about 25-2700 rpms and released fine. Doesn't seem to be the advertised stall??

Comment

I guess it could be the converter, but every converter I've ever had a problem with was converter getting loose and lose power to wheels rather than too tight causing engine to stall. Then again my Foot brake to Trans Brake launch ratio is at least 1000:1 - and a trans brake will beat the shit out of converter if launch RPMs are far higher than what the converter was built to deal with. What brand and size is it?

Comment

Supposed to be a turbo action 3800 stall. I don't know the diameter yet. I'll get that next time I put it on the lift.

Comment

Is this mostly a Street Car, or Strip Car?

How fast is it suppose to be on the Strip?

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtab View Post
                          Supposed to be a turbo action 3800 stall. I don't know the diameter yet. I'll get that next time I put it on the lift.
                          New or used ? I have seen too many torque converts go bad and kill an engine that was revved high in the RPMs . If that was a used converter I'd junk it . Bought new ! Taken back to wherever you bought it at.
                          All throttle , no bottle .

Comment

Car is mostly set up for strip right now, I want to get it back on the street. Never been down the strip with this with this engine/trans according to the previous owner. I've taken it out and run it through the gears and it seems pretty quick for a body car.

The converter is supposed to be new according to the previous owner. I'm planning to put it on the lift this weekend and get any info I can off the converter.

Comment

• Shorty Thompson
                              Shorty Thompson commented
                              Editing a comment
                              If you do , do a visual inspection I hope you don't think you'll see what could've possibly happened in side that converter. Because you won't .
                          Working...
                          X