No announcement yet.

Race Shop Diary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday and Tuesday I took my youngest daughter to move into her dorm at college. For the first time in 35.5 years, Deb and I are empty nesters. Five kids 35-19.

I started the day mowing my five acres and the five acres of Miss Lavonne next door. While that was happening, my Wednesday mechanic friend installed the recovered console I'd picked up last night, the floor shifter and made seat brackets to mount the BMW seats. Then he pulled it all out so he can put the carpet in.

In the middle of mowing, the first of my two containers showed. After it was dropped we had to push into place with the tractors. The second one comes in the morning.

After that I got back to mowing. When finished, I drew up plans for the shelves to be built in the containers

then I ran to Lowes (because they give Vets a 10% discount) to order the lumber I'll picked up Friday morning.

Then home to clean the pool and brush the walls.

My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

So Thursday - the seats, shifter and console mocked up came back out, and the rear carpet installed. Front Carpet ready to go in.

Second container arrived, dropped and pushed into place.

My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

On the way to the shop I stopped by City Machine and picked up the Crank for the 572 Head motor that Indy freshened and ran on the dyno dirty. Both main and rod journals had to be turned down to .020 to get right. Put it under the assembly bench (to wait for bearings) and ordered the 20 under bearings.

Had my shop rat wash my coach (that I had picked up at Cummins yesterday), so I can make it ready for Norwalk and then a little vacation. My shop rat is 68 years old. After I fired the pair of Snowflakes (with a capital FLAKE) in April, I ran an ad and this guy called. He sounded so old on the phone that I wasn't going to even talk to him - but figured I ought to at least do that. When he came to shop, he was this little short fat guy who said he was 63. (I found out he fibbed when I ran a background check) I told him I was really looking for someone with some muscle to do the jobs I wanted to spare my back from - like swinging a weedeater and washing cars. He virtually begged me for the job, and I said I'd give him a shot. We agreed on $10 an hour, but before the first day was through I could tell that unlike the kids I'd been hiring, that this guy had his heart in it and bumped him to $100 a day. Four months later and we're both happy. He's not real fast, and its hot here so I don't want him to get hurt. What he lacks in speed, he makes up in dependability, honestly and dedication. I just feel bad that he has to work as a laborer in Texas at his age, but he handles July and August better than I do.

While the coach was being washed, I went and picked up 30 sheets of 3/4" plywood I had ripped into 60 sheets of 2'X8', 60 2x4x8, four 3/4" plywood crosscut into eight 4'x4' pieces, five gallons of High Gloss paint, ten pounds of deck screws for the shelves in the containers; and some angle iron that will be welded to the inside walls for shelves to be secured to. I'll be gone for almost three weeks, so my Shop Rat's mission is to build the shelves to my plans (see Wednesday's post) and have painted by the time I get back.

When I got home I worked on my Harley (Old Blue) for a little while.

Comment

This "Shop Diary" entry covers three weeks - from 8/21-9/7 in two parts

On Monday 9/1 I loaded up the motorhome with fresh water, food and drink; and the stacker with the Vitamin C, my Grand National, race gas, and the golf cart.

The reason that there was five gallons of water in the back of the golf cart is that while loading the Vitamin C, it was discovered that the radiator had a leak.

I couldn't find anyone who could fix it while I waited locally, so I ordered one from Atco in Evansville, IN and Doug Duell picked it up for me, so he would meet me with it in Norwalk, OH.

After loading up, I mowed my five acres, as it would be three weeks before I could get to it again. Note the photo below for future reference.

We spent the night in the motorhome at the shop - so we could leave at 5am before Houston's traffic

We did leave at 5am Tuesday and the trip was pretty much uneventful. I drove 700 miles to Jackson, TN -- where we parked for the night at the Walmart there. That day is when we first heard of the possibility of a hurricane heading to Houston. Wednesday was another 700 miles, and we arrived at the track at about 7pm.

Thursday morning we pitted, established credentials and unloaded the trailer. I got the new radiator from Doug, and preceded to install it. During that process, I smacked my head hard on the trailer's lift, the first and hardest of three times. I had a splitting headache and was dizzy for the rest of the day, and had a dull headache and lightheaded for the next two weeks.

Long story short on the racing was that my car was all over the map with the small motor. Doug and Mr. Aruba helped (did most of the work as I had a splitting headache) tearing down carbs as I had dried white powder in the jets from the carbs not being drained prior to the engine pulled and stored for over a year. While not fixed, it was closer to predictable by Eliminations. I lost in the first round by breaking out in a close race with Jim Guy.

Comment

So the race being over Sunday and the Hurricane hitting Houston, we loaded up and headed to Western New York, where Deb's sister lives. My shop Rat sent me the below photo or my Beasley property, which can be compared to the photo in the previous shop log entry.

While the flood waters got close to both of my homes, my shop, and the homes of my kids - we were very fortunate and none of my family suffered any damage. We stayed in WNY for eight days monitoring the situation until we could return.

Last year when visiting, I was invited to a Texas Holdem Poker Tournament that is held Mondays at the Polish Falcons in Batavia, NY. About 40 regulars play there each Monday night. I won that tournament, pissing off more than a couple regulars. This year I got myself invited again, and not only made the final table, but finished in fifth place, and put three people out.

We left WNY Wednesday and drove to Jackson, TN by nightfall. We arrived back at my shop at 9pm Thursday, and spent the night. Friday, I unloaded the stacker while my shop rat pressure washed all of the bugs off the front of coach.

While I was gone, my shop rat built selves for my storage containers and someone who works on my cars a couple days a month installed new carpet and seats from a BMW in my Magnum.

Comment

Working...
            X