No announcement yet.

Race Shop Diary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday and Tuesday I took my youngest daughter to move into her dorm at college. For the first time in 35.5 years, Deb and I are empty nesters. Five kids 35-19.

I started the day mowing my five acres and the five acres of Miss Lavonne next door. While that was happening, my Wednesday mechanic friend installed the recovered console I'd picked up last night, the floor shifter and made seat brackets to mount the BMW seats. Then he pulled it all out so he can put the carpet in.

In the middle of mowing, the first of my two containers showed. After it was dropped we had to push into place with the tractors. The second one comes in the morning.

After that I got back to mowing. When finished, I drew up plans for the shelves to be built in the containers

then I ran to Lowes (because they give Vets a 10% discount) to order the lumber I'll picked up Friday morning.

Then home to clean the pool and brush the walls.

Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

So Thursday - the seats, shifter and console mocked up came back out, and the rear carpet installed. Front Carpet ready to go in.

Second container arrived, dropped and pushed into place.

Comment

On the way to the shop I stopped by City Machine and picked up the Crank for the 572 Head motor that Indy freshened and ran on the dyno dirty. Both main and rod journals had to be turned down to .020 to get right. Put it under the assembly bench (to wait for bearings) and ordered the 20 under bearings.

Had my shop rat wash my coach (that I had picked up at Cummins yesterday), so I can make it ready for Norwalk and then a little vacation. My shop rat is 68 years old. After I fired the pair of Snowflakes (with a capital FLAKE) in April, I ran an ad and this guy called. He sounded so old on the phone that I wasn't going to even talk to him - but figured I ought to at least do that. When he came to shop, he was this little short fat guy who said he was 63. (I found out he fibbed when I ran a background check) I told him I was really looking for someone with some muscle to do the jobs I wanted to spare my back from - like swinging a weedeater and washing cars. He virtually begged me for the job, and I said I'd give him a shot. We agreed on $10 an hour, but before the first day was through I could tell that unlike the kids I'd been hiring, that this guy had his heart in it and bumped him to $100 a day. Four months later and we're both happy. He's not real fast, and its hot here so I don't want him to get hurt. What he lacks in speed, he makes up in dependability, honestly and dedication. I just feel bad that he has to work as a laborer in Texas at his age, but he handles July and August better than I do.

While the coach was being washed, I went and picked up 30 sheets of 3/4" plywood I had ripped into 60 sheets of 2'X8', 60 2x4x8, four 3/4" plywood crosscut into eight 4'x4' pieces, five gallons of High Gloss paint, ten pounds of deck screws for the shelves in the containers; and some angle iron that will be welded to the inside walls for shelves to be secured to. I'll be gone for almost three weeks, so my Shop Rat's mission is to build the shelves to my plans (see Wednesday's post) and have painted by the time I get back.

When I got home I worked on my Harley (Old Blue) for a little while.

Comment

This "Shop Diary" entry covers three weeks - from 8/21-9/7 in two parts

On Monday 9/1 I loaded up the motorhome with fresh water, food and drink; and the stacker with the Vitamin C, my Grand National, race gas, and the golf cart.

The reason that there was five gallons of water in the back of the golf cart is that while loading the Vitamin C, it was discovered that the radiator had a leak.

I couldn't find anyone who could fix it while I waited locally, so I ordered one from Atco in Evansville, IN and Doug Duell picked it up for me, so he would meet me with it in Norwalk, OH.

After loading up, I mowed my five acres, as it would be three weeks before I could get to it again. Note the photo below for future reference.

We spent the night in the motorhome at the shop - so we could leave at 5am before Houston's traffic

We did leave at 5am Tuesday and the trip was pretty much uneventful. I drove 700 miles to Jackson, TN -- where we parked for the night at the Walmart there. That day is when we first heard of the possibility of a hurricane heading to Houston. Wednesday was another 700 miles, and we arrived at the track at about 7pm.

Thursday morning we pitted, established credentials and unloaded the trailer. I got the new radiator from Doug, and preceded to install it. During that process, I smacked my head hard on the trailer's lift, the first and hardest of three times. I had a splitting headache and was dizzy for the rest of the day, and had a dull headache and lightheaded for the next two weeks.

Long story short on the racing was that my car was all over the map with the small motor. Doug and Mr. Aruba helped (did most of the work as I had a splitting headache) tearing down carbs as I had dried white powder in the jets from the carbs not being drained prior to the engine pulled and stored for over a year. While not fixed, it was closer to predictable by Eliminations. I lost in the first round by breaking out in a close race with Jim Guy.

Comment

So the race being over Sunday and the Hurricane hitting Houston, we loaded up and headed to Western New York, where Deb's sister lives. My shop Rat sent me the below photo or my Beasley property, which can be compared to the photo in the previous shop log entry.

While the flood waters got close to both of my homes, my shop, and the homes of my kids - we were very fortunate and none of my family suffered any damage. We stayed in WNY for eight days monitoring the situation until we could return.

Last year when visiting, I was invited to a Texas Holdem Poker Tournament that is held Mondays at the Polish Falcons in Batavia, NY. About 40 regulars play there each Monday night. I won that tournament, pissing off more than a couple regulars. This year I got myself invited again, and not only made the final table, but finished in fifth place, and put three people out.

We left WNY Wednesday and drove to Jackson, TN by nightfall. We arrived back at my shop at 9pm Thursday, and spent the night. Friday, I unloaded the stacker while my shop rat pressure washed all of the bugs off the front of coach.

While I was gone, my shop rat built selves for my storage containers and someone who works on my cars a couple days a month installed new carpet and seats from a BMW in my Magnum.

Comment

I had the worst Gout flare up ever, affecting my who right foot. I would up having to stay at home for a week and catch up on computer work. Monday, pain was just limited to big toe, so I headed to shop.

Set up an after hours box fr deliveries

Sorted through old headers that I need to get on Craigs List

Had a week of deliveries to go through

Hooked up and pulled out Toy hauler to get ready for this weekends camping/motorcycle trip

Got more lumber, for more shelves in two 40" containers

New cut off switch on Vitamin C

Replaced 625 CFM carbs needing rebuild with 750CFM

Mowed my five acres

notice no one mwed old lady next dors five acres in a month, so mwed that

new valve cover gaskets on Diplomat

Comment

So my eldest daughter, her husband and twin three year olds; my eldest son, his wife and infant son driving my Coach (because f baby) but staying in my Toy Hauler; and my wife, youngest daughter and I driving the Toy Hauler but staying in coach. We'll be staying at Lake Medina by Bandera, TX - and Dallas I i will ride the "Three Twisted Sisters" plus.

But first, I needed to get everything ready.

Truck hooked up to Toy Hauler, and an Epic cleaning of Interior.

Two spares and 20 ton jack

lso gt the Coach ready

Still building shelves, painting them, and mounting in the containers.

Stay tuned for vacation update

Comment

So we all left for the lake on Thursday Morning.

My Eldest daughter's family

My wife youngest daughter and I

Dallas' family

Just prior to Dallas and I taking our 300 mile ride, I had a chair incident.

and or ride

and just like that and it was Sunday and we had to break camp and head home. I had two blowouts

Comment

It's been a few days since I've updated my Shop log, and I'll be working backwards until caught up.

Blew the small (440) engine up at the SHRA Race in Denton. There will be a post with details on that. Anyway, the engine is out (I talked Dallas into doing it) and it will be disassembled tomorrow to see what happened. My guess is a rod bolt failure in number four. Water started to pour out when oil pan was removed. Not a good sign.

​​

​​

​​

I've been spending a lot of time reorganizing from moving to a shop three times the size. Bought a couple 40' storage containers, built some shelving, bought a ton of various size plastic bins, and I'm slowing moving a truck load at a time of stuff from old shop - and organizing it in the new shop. The below photo is stuff unloaded that I'm sorting through and putting away. In addition to the stuff I'm bring over from the old shop, I have a 20' container that had car parts that I'm consolidating with stuff from old shop into bins, and onto shelves in one of the 40' containers.

​​

There was this one huge bin that had every type of gasket and seal in. I bought some long 'under bed' bins and sorted them into Big Block, Small block, transmission, and rear end gaskets and seals.

​​

Again, I'm working backwards with about a week's worth of photos on my photo, so about five of these posts are going to be backwards.
                    Attached Files

Comment

To refresh your memory, I had Indy build two engines, and freshen two engines. Two of those four engines quickly became total losses. This engine is a 580ci with 572CNC385 heads. When I took it to get freshened, I was talked into new pistons because they felt the ones in there were a little loose. They machined the block, turned the crank, milled the heads and assembled with with new Pistons, Rods, Cam, Lifters, Push Rods, Springs, and Rockers. It dyno'd at 902hp with way too small headers and no vacuum pump.

The engine was put in the whale and on the tenth pass it loss oil pressure. In the pits, we pulled the distributor and found the bronze gear was broke. I sent it back to Indy and they were suppose to clean and freshened with new rings, bearings, and polish the crank. This engine was suppose to go into the 65 Coronet (Texas Thug) that I'm building.

So after all of tens of thousands of dollars in low pass engine failures on the other engines they'd built for me, I had a local race engine builder pull the pan to inspect. He found that I was screwed. There was crap in oil pan, and the bearings and crank was scored. The engine was completely torn down to be done right, and it was missing head washers and had a few other minor issues. Its no wonder two other engines had rod caps loosen and window two blocks.

So the block and crank were sent out to be machined, and a good engine builder cleaned and reassembled with new Cometc head gaskets, ARP 2000 rod bolts, Clevite 77 bearings, Coyles timing set...

However after talking to him further, he feels that the 572 heads are too much heads for my goals. It really makes its power at higher RPMs, and like to shift at 6200-6500 RPM - and I'm ging to have him build me a milder (cam and heads) engine that makes ts power earlier. As sch I'm keeping the oil pan (Specific to my 60 Plymouth), intake and carbs (as a non NSS racer might be the buyer.

If you know anyone looking for an engine that can make 950++hp with 2.25" headers, vacuum pump, and tunnel ram with a pair of Dominators - have them contact me. It's frsh as a daisy and has all of the good stuff.
                      ​​​
                      • Indy aluminum Wedge Wet Block (Just Properly machined)
                      • Callies Crank (Just Properly machined)
                      • Diamond Pistons (10 passes)
                      • Forged H-Beam Rods (10 Passes)
                      • ARP 2000 Rod Bolts (New)
                      • Clevite 77 Rod and Main Bearings (New)
                      • File fit rings (New)
                      • Comp Roller Lifters (Ten Passes)
                      • Comp 3/8" Push Rods (Ten Passes)
                      • Indy Spray Bar Valve Covers
                      • Jessel Roller Rockers - Set loose to not wear springs (Ten Passes)
                      • Coyles Gear Set (New)

Comment

I don't even want to get started with how shitty of an assembly job was done on these three engines.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t1 Size:\t100.0 KB ID:\t28051","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"28051","data-size":"full"}

Cleaned and wrapped what was salvageable, which was very little

Comment

I've been super busy and haven't had time to update. Since I'm boycotting the NFL, I'll spend an hour to mostly catch up, but in no particular order.

One of the things that has happened in the last month was switching from shared hosting for this site to my own dedicated server. While expensive, the speed and ease are worth it. I've spent a lot of time getting the neglected sites of MoparStyle.com and Oldhippie.com back up to speed, and now will focus on NSSRacing.com.

Also in last month I finally sprung for a new Ram Dually to replace the King's Ranch I've been driving for the last 13 years.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t1 Size:\t63.6 KB ID:\t28047","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"28047","data-size":"full"}

Got the ASIN transmission, air bags, gooseneck/5th wheel and all of the bells and whistles to last me anther 12 years.

Comment

In previous posts I bought and situated a pair of 40' shipping containers, and built/painted shelves. Now I'm in the time consuming process of going through all my parts and properly binning and organizing.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t1 Size:\t68.6 KB ID:\t28053","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"28053","data-size":"full"}

Comment

Pressure washed, scraped and painted the two smaller containers that I had been storing stuff in until I got the big ones. One will be used for Sand Blasting and the other for stuff needed to maintain the buildings and property. of the 40'ers, one is for car parts and the other a household storage locker. They'll be painted when there's time. I took the after photos as the sun was setting, so they look darker and more range than they really are. The color s Gloss Sand Rustoleum.

Comment

Drove out to Apex Stone in Sealy to fetch two tons of Natural White Hill Country Cut (4x6x8) Stone to edge my landscaping at Barnaminium/Race Shop.

Clean out and organized shed where I keep Engine blocks, heads, cranks and other large and heavy parts I'm selling

Comment

Working...
                                X