Race Shop Diary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday at the shop...

I had a DSL line run there for WIFI, and I'll soon install security cameras. I spent about an hour setting the WIFI router up. I still need to move a computer in.

I next took my yardman to my old shop, so we could put trickle chargers on three cars I have stored there and so I could show him what I wanted him to move to my newer shop.

Got the roof and trim on my well shed, and plumbed it with valves for future plans. I have a "Whole House" water filter coming, and will add a small water softener for when my yardman/shop rat is washing my cars. Still need to make the door and paint to finish. Naturally two stacks of roof shingles had me three shingles short, so I'll have to go get another stack.

When I had my stacker built, I had them install eight marine batteries in the floor and all of lights (including pit lights) 12v LED. I had them install a 2000 watt inverter to power my weather station computer, but it caught fire and smoke my computer and phone charger when I was at the race in San Antonio. It was never wired to the main power cut off switch or even the trailer's circuit breaker box. I chunked the old inverter into garbage and wired in a new one with an inline 100amp fuse. That might be too much fuse, so I ordered an 80 amp and I also ordered a battery cutoff that I'll install when it arrives. That's a spare fuse taped under it. I'll do something less ugly.

Also when I had the stacker built, I had them build a step that would slide out under door. However the pair of latches were 6' apart making it impossible for one guy to pull out - and even two guya couldn't pull out because of a bind. I dīsassembled and found one leg was badly bent, so I straightened it out and installed one big 5/8" spring loaded barrel latch under door (had to grind trim to do it) so I can finally use after two years. Not the best looking, but it works.

I have that missing trim piece in front of axes ordered, a couple of broken marker lights are on the way - as well as a battery cutoff and wireless remote for my in floor winch (too many electrical fires have me paranoid). Metallic Bronze/Brown vinyl that matches my coach has been ordered and the trailer will be wrapped in it soon. I also have a radio and speakers to install. I filled a hole (from a detached clamp that holds the pole to weather station) with JB Weld, so I can Gorrilla Glue and screw the clamp back on front.

I slightly cleaned up and modified the dual battery wiring in Vitamin C, to make it quicker and easier to remove a battery if I need up to .05 seconds. I wish there was a place to mount the Olympic weight plates in trunk like I have in the Whale - but I tried everywhere and it won't work.
    My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

Wednesday, I wasn't at the shop as my wife felt I needed culture and class by taking her to dinner and an Off Broadway show. To me a show involves a big titty girl, a pole and some glitter, a culture grows in a Petree Dish, and Class is a type of racing - but I wound up instead seeing Lion King. I don't think I gained any Class or Culture by it. Anyway, instead of going to the shop I stayed homed and filed a two foot tack of paperwork going back to early 2015.

However, at the shop my mechanic friend came in to R&R a fuel sending unit we'd thought was the culprit of me running out of gas at 1/4 tank (it wasn't), and the T Top seals on my Grand National; and adjust bands on the Whale's transmission that I fixed some threads on and painted earlier in the week. The Shop Rat worked on finishing the shed.

Thursday morning I stopped by my bud's Body Shop to check on my 2014 F150. The back story on that is I have a bud who buys about three low mileage F150s a year at Insurance auction. These are low mileage trucks with minor (no flood or frame) damage, but are totaled because of insistence of the insured, because they're too new to have a cloudy Car Fax from an accident not their fault. This truck was rear ended with only 4000 miles on it and required a little work on the back of cab; and a new bed, tailgate and bumper. Anyway I bought the truck for my youngest daughter last year. Book was $27,000 and I paid $20,000 as it has a Rebuilt (Gray) title.

The truck was suppose to have a 5.0 motor, but when I changed the oil I found it had the 411hp/434tq Raptor 6.2. That's too much gas and potential trouble for a 19-year-old going to college, so I put her in a nicely loaded Escape, which was my Father in Law's before he died. I was going to buy a new RAM 1/2 ton, but decided I'd drive this for a while, as its loaded and nice. My problem is the color. So I bought an unpainted bed topper and a graphic kit and had my bud paint and apply - plus a new windshield as my daughter acquired a big stone chip. While I'm sure it's too much side graphix for some - I like it, and I'm the one driving it. I picked it up Friday after the windshield was replaced.

After looking over the graphix, I stopped at Home Depot for more paint and some roof drip flashing to finish the shed. The shop Rat finished the painting and the roof while I mowed my property and spread three truck loads of bank sand on low spots of the Old Lady's property next door.

There are a pair of 1.5" PVC pipes that fill the two front ponds from the well. We haven't used them in years. When hooked up, water bubbled up into the new shed, so I had the shop rat dig down about 18" and fix.

And speaking of broken pipes, I've had a wet area by the side of my barnaminium, where I have a caretaker living there with my mother in law, who would otherwise need to be in a Nursing Home. My shop rat started digging and it was a broken main that started flooding the area when uncovered. We had to shut water off at the main, and also where it goes into the house - and have a hose from the Shop's well (next door) to backfeed the barnaminium's outside water faucet - to supply them with water until we fix on Monday.
      My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

My Olds Street Rod has been a ten year project. Today is the first time I drove it. Took it to gas station and back. While it still needs a lot of work, it's a mile stone.

I parked it outside tonight, as I am in Day One of a Two Day Shop reorganization and cleaning. I'll put it and the Magnum back in the shop tomorrow night after we finish cleaning.

Day Two of Three in a Trailer Wrap has both sides done, and the front and back plus trimming to be finished tomorrow

I set up a work bench and area for the filthy Indy engine to be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled with new bearings.

I mounted a rack for some of my power tools on my work bench, and moved them from race shop to fabrication shop. Obviously, any fabrication creating dust. shavings or anything dlse airborne will have to be done outside jntil all of the engines are finished.

I shipped the two convertors with scored snouts (on my work bench) to ATI to be repaired. and a cam sold on eBay to the buyer, and clean off my bench.

Also accomplished by Shop Rat while I was doing the above, was to plumb a whole house water filter in the well house and wire the 120 gallon air compressor, which is in a shed attached to back of shop.

Comment

Wednesdays are "Thrash Day", as I have a bud work on my stuff with me. This Wednesday was the first of the three days required to wrap my Stacker in Antique Bronze, a color close to one of the colors of my new Coach.

It was pretty windy, and all he could get done was half of one side - less the trimming.

While he was doing that, I installed a piece of missing bottom trim,

a marker light damaged when someone nicked the back of the trailer

reattached a couple of rod clamps that hold the weather station's pole

and hooked up a battery cutoff switch to the new inverter, as the last one caught fire without a fuse or cutoff (trailer company wired it in) between batteries. I've had a car, inverter and winch catch fire this year - so I'm paranoid and wiring cutoffs on everything.

I then moved onto my 1/2 ton and installed a pair of swinging/locking bed boxes in the dead area of the bed. Good for storing stuff I don't want rolling around the bed, especially since the bed cap makes to harder to reach.

and finished the evening by mowing five acres. Not a bad 8-hour day's work in 100+ degree sun.

Whilst I be doing that, my Shop Rat was hooking up my 1-ton to the Gooseneck and loading up everything but car for Saturday's race - only to have to unload everything, Unhook, put tailgate back on truck and re-park when the race was rescheduled for August 5th.

My mechanic bud made trunk panels that will get upholstered for my Street Rod and some wiring on the Toy Hauler.

Comment

First, the three days for one guy to wrap my stacker has turned into Five days for two guys. It's been 100+ degrees and a little wind making their job hard. They're now saying that it will be Tuesday before they finish.

I spent seven solid hours going through and sorting 21 bins and seven full carts of parts and tools, and then properly put away in an organized fashion. Whilst I be doing that, my Shop Ray was fetching me bins and washing the floor. I then moved the Olds back in and covered, and the Magnum to lift bay for some work. I have about an hour left to put away stuff on two carts, that I'll do Monday or Tuesday.

the two carts I have sorted, but need to put in proper bins or toolbox

I also sold a street transmission in the morning for $550 and in the afternoon a 440 block, pr. 906 heads, pr. 452 heads, 440 crank, 906 rockers, and set of rods for $600.

I, and my shop dogs (Smith& Wesson), were beat after seven hours in 100+ degrees, but at least they got to sleep on the half hour drive home.

Comment

First off, the Stacker wrap in a color complimentary to my new Coach is finished, and I'm real happy with it. I hooked it up to the Coach and pulled it put into the sun to take the below Photos. Vinyl doesn't stick to clear caulking, so there's maybe a 1/4" from the edges that shows blue. I'll need to see if I can find some brownish caulking to fix that.

The engine builder tore the motor that Indy recently screwed me on. The 572/16 heads were missing all of the top row washers, and the Cam's Woodruff key was also missing. Sending the Calles crank (that I just paid them to grind to .020) to get micro-polished, the cylinders will get a light touch up, and the engine will be properly cleaned. Then it will be reassembled with new bearings, gaskets, and rings. Technically the dirty engine didn't completely ruin the bearings and rings from the Dyno run, and could be reused - but the couple hundred bucks for bearings that hadn't been subjected to Dyno time after a terrible freshening up (using relatively new pistons and rods - and a freshened crank) is a good investment. Plus I will know that the clearances are properly checked. I can't believe that Kenny built this engine, and I'm betting Russ handed this engine over to his pet monkey to build. I don't want to believe Kenny would have screwed someone with this terrible of a build, while I have no problem believing Russ would screw his mother over a dime.

I had my Shop Rat tear down a 20' trailer I bought with my John Deere gears ago. I only used it a couple of times and have just let it sit on my lot with the tires covered. It was pressured washed, sanded and I went to Lowes (remember that Vets get a 10% discount) to get a gallon of Rustoleum Gloss Black for the frame, a gallon of Thompson's Weather Seal to treat all sides of new lumber, and the replacement lumber in #2 Choice. When done the bearings will be cleaned and repacked, and I'll sell the trailer as I don't need. I use the steel Red/Black Open for everything, including transporting the tractor.

I also took the Olds (Street Rod) for another ride to diagnose and fix (adjust) the engine running like a dog (was No WOT) and no AC (bad wiring). We also measured the column currently in it and a new Ididit tilt column for floor shift that I want to use, and it will work. So today I'm ordering a couple knuckles, a wheel, a drop, and a Lokar shifter. Also ordering a new after market wiring package with micro fuses. While the one in it was aftermarket, the guy I bought the car from was a wiring butcher and it is best to start over and do properly. I've already ordered power window conversion and power door locks.

Finally, I mowed the yard and the visited with my mother in law to cool down with a couple Frosties.

Comment

Monday shop photos.

First, my shop rat 20' trailer frame ground then painted with Rustoleum Deluxe gloss black. I bought new wood that will be Thompson Weather Sealed Medium Oak on all sides and ends, and installed. Bearings repacked. I bought this trailer a few years back with tractor, but never use. I use my Red/black open for everything. It cost $3000 new and I'll make better than new (paint will last virtually forever and #2 Select wood will look great) and sell for $1500.

Last week my shop rat capped a leaking 2" pipe that we couldn't figure out where it went. Turns out that my house next door has its septic tank pump to the city sewer.

Why that pipe is on totally different property and a 2" instead of 4" pipe is beyond my understanding. Anyway it required digging a hole again, sawing caps off, buying a pump to pump out hole that was gravity fed (after first turning pump off) into the hole when cap was cut off and repairing the pipe. That's the simple explanation. The long version includes many trips to hardware store and the pump spraying about two gallons of that nasty stuff on me.

I couldn't take a long enough shower and use more liquid soap than I just did. Also mowed the five acres. A very shitty day - but the septic is now fixed.

Comment

Busy day at the shop yesterday. First I took my Magnum out for a drive in 100 degree heat and AC blows nice and cold now since my bud (who works one day a week at my shop) fixed. Drove it fast, drove in traffic jam conditions. Car runs like a raped ape with close to 500hp, but I have a couple tweaks that need to be made.

Although I actually bought these last night, after returning from shop and showering the stink from 8 hours outside in Texas heat, I found and bought black leather power seats from a wrecked BMW Coupe that will replace the black leather stock seats.

The 20' trailer is finished. I bought with my John Deere years ago, and never really used. It might have 200 miles on it. I treated it to new hand-brushed Rustoleum paint (after a skim with angle grinder), bearing repack, and new #2 Select lumber treated with Thompson's Weather Seal in light Oak. Wheels painted in Rustoleum Aluminum. Has a pair of 7000# axles and went for over $3000 new. Its nōw better than new and I'm selling for $1,500.

The the gears on my shore power reel on my new motorhome stopped working. The soonest appointmnt I can get at the factory to address my warranty issues is December, so I told them to send me a replacement reel and I'd mount and wire myself. Got that finished yesterday.

I installed a new Steele Rubber seal in trunk of my Street Rod.

Last week I did a major reorganization of parts bins and cleanup of my shops. I still had about three hours of putting stuff where it belonged, and finished that yesterday.

Have a loaded up cart of new parts for the Street Rod to finish before it goes to interior shop, and developed a plan of action.

Was able to finish before the storm rolled in.

Comment

Last week I took my family and Geezerglide to Lake Qauchita for a little vacation in my toy hauler. Three blowouts, a slide-out motor that crapped out, and a water leak at toilet put a dampener on it - but we pulled up our big boy pants and had a great time despite. Toy hauler in shop now and I'm ordering 17.5" Load J Speed N wheels and tires to replace the 16" Load Range E.

Got back to the shop after dropping of toy hauler (and taking Dallas to lunch) to go through a week's mail, mowing the five acres, and opening/putting away a week's shipments. Part of the shipments in were seats for my Magnum.

I scored a very nice pair of black leather seats out of a totaled BMW Coupe (needed from two door) for $500 plus $125 for the ride from Florida.

They're real nice, without any signs of wear. They're going into my Magnum along with plush carpet, a floor console and replacement of the Granny shift column.

Comment

Old engine building shop's assembly room completely moved out and clean - except a tear down table, a couple carts, and a couple pictures on wall. A used gate for my drive entry has been clean and painted.

I went to Brookshire to get 12' of 4" tube to plant it, 12' 3" tubing to stop it, and 12' 1.5" to repair it.

Dropped off crankshaft to get polished, spare tire to toyhauler replaced with Gregg Alexander at Discount and to order 6 17.5" wheels and tires, picked up some auto parts at O'Reilly, and a floor shift column/shifter/console from a Magnum I parted out years ago at old shop. I

I took the console to the interior shop I use to repair the padding on arm rest and to recover in black vinyl and new carpet skirt.

I have to be moved out of old shop in September - so I need to buy two 40' containers to store all that stuff (I've fir parts and one fir household and furniture stored there. After making some measurements I figure I need 30 9"x9"x9' railroad ties to edge and place every 5' under the containers, and 35 yards of bottom ash to level and fill in between ties. I'll go to Eagle Lake and pickup the ties tomorrow and get to work on the foundation next week.

Comment

Good forward progress made Thursday and Friday - even though its been hot.

The steel posts are ready, just need to be sunk 3' and a little welding done. Then add the solar/battery opener and a wireless communication and open/close from the shop and Barnaminium.

I'd mentioned in the last entry that I need to be completely moved out of my old shop by the end of September, and that I need two more containers for car parts and furniture and stuff from when I had a lake house. The next week or so will be focused on a nice level raised foundation on Rail Road ties and bottom ash.

So I took my open trailer to Eagle Lake for 30 #2 Ties, brought them to shop, unloaded, parked trailer, scraped an area and built an edge.

I'll box blade 34 yards of ash until the area is level, and then lay some RR Ties to set a pair of 40's on. After my helper makes some shelving inside I'll hire a couple illegals from the "Tree of Hope" (before they get the bottle of Tequila) to move my shit.

My bud (whomworks for me one day a week) got the 32" Lokar shifter and digital indicator installed, and is getting ready to pull all of the wiring out of the car and install the 22 circuit wiring kit - along with new gauges, power windows, door poppers, hood and truck releases, remote openers, power windows, and door cards. I would like to get it to the interior shop by October. Might see about him doing two days a week for a couple of months.

Speaking of Interior, getting ready to redo the interior of Magnum.

I showed y'all the black leather seats from a BMW Coupe in a previous post. I had pulled the console, shifter and steering column out of a parts car about 15 years ago, so I could convert the granny shift to console shift. I took the console to the interior shop to be restored. I'll tape off, strip and paint the column and strip out the carpet and interior this coming week. New carpet should be at shop Monday. I've had this car for a long time and it goes like a raped ape (I'd bet 11's in Quarter) with a built big block pump gas motor with aluminum heads, street/strip tranny, and 8.75 Suregrip with 3.55 gears. Now I just need to modernize interior and drive the shit out of it again.

When I moved my in-laws down from Buffalo to my Barnaminium, I'd set them up with a computer. With my father in law dead now, and my mother in law's mind on another planet (I hired a live in to care for her as she'd needs 24/7 attention - but we promised her husband we'd only put her in nursing home as a last resort), I moved the computer to my shop now that I have Internet. Spent most of the evening updating Windows, installing a new anti-virus, and updating applications and drivers. Had to move some stuff around for a work station area.

Comment

I'll Start with the Magnum

Interior was pulled out in anticipation of new carpet, seats, console/shifter and Steering Column

The steering column going in came out of a raggedy Magnum I parted out over 15 years ago. It was pretty pitted and corroded.

I started with 60, 80, 100, 400 and then lots of 500 grit to get it smooth.

It took about 3 hours of hand sanding - but came out smoother than new.

Threw on three coats of paint with 15 minutes between coats. Looks better than the photos when the paint had another hour to dry. I'll hit it with clear after 48 hours.

Got the railroad ties laid down on leveled ground, and filled in for a pair of 40' containers, that I need to go pick out - maybe tomorrow.

Gonna be a busy week. Actually a busy month as I need to take the motorhome for warranty appointment, pick up Toy Hauler and get the new 17.5" wheels and tires put on, take my youngest daughter to her college and move her in, and then head to Ohio for the Norwalk race. After that a little motorcycle vacation in Upstate NY.

Comment

Started the morning calling and getting quotes on 40' High Cube shipping containers, narrowing down to three places.

Headed to shop, but stopping to check on Magnum's console being restored at interior shop (promised to be ready Friday), the tire shop to drop off a lug nut from Toy Hauler's so they can order the right ones for the Toy Hauler and new 17.5" wheels, then selecting the two containers and paying for them.

I got to the shop and graded a load of Bottom Ash into a ramp to the foundation where the containers will sit.

I arrange with a truck driver to will deliver next Wednesday. We had three inches of rain last night, so I want the ash to dry out good.

Took down the steering column I painted yesterday. I was going to hit it with a couple of coats gloss clear, but it looks pretty good and if anything - I should hit with satin clear. Got a new starter switch to mount on bottom. I'll clean up the turn signal ant tilt levers after installed.

Back home, the rain and flooding hit my pool hard. I put eight 3" tablets and five pounds of shock to straighten it out.

I had my shop rat start on cleaning the rods an pistons (in Lacquer thinner) from the two engines taken apart

Comment

The floor shift steering column that I refinished has been installed in the Magnum. I'll figure out how to dress up the shitty chrome on turn signal and tilt shaft while in the car.

Over last 13-years, I'd worn away the leather at the 12-o-clock position on the steering wheel of my F350 Dually

So I bought a wheel from a newer Navigator off eBay, and it now points my King Ranch into the right direction

I'll list the old one on eBay. Any decent interior shop can un-stitch the old cover for a pattern, to make and sew on a new cover in any color leather a person would want.

Miss Lavonne's (90+ year-old lady next door) relatives have been dropping the ball mowing her 5-acre yard and pasture, so I mowed it for her. They want her to go to a nursing home, but she wants to die in her own home, which she's lived in since 1946. She does pretty good and doesn't need to be in nursing home - just needs help with yard work. She use to mow with a 30-year old rider.

and mowed my five acres

and moved my old water well tank next to my junk cars and list for $20 on Craig's List. They make great meat smokers.

Comment

Today the Retro gauges made their way into the dash. They're not wire yet, as the whole car s fixin to be rewired.

And I decided to go to floor shift and went with a Lokar Tilt column. It and the wheel was permanently installed in the right position.

Comment

Working...
                                X