No announcement yet.

Race Shop Diary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a recap of the Happenings in my MoparStyle Racing shop in the last week.
    Texas Thug

If you followed the hood ejection story at the Bradenton race earlier in the month, you know The Thug lost it's hood in warm up. A quick repair with pop rivets and duct tape got me through the weekend. Once back home, about 10 hours was spent repairing the broken off corners, the rivet holes, and the scrapes and breaks. On the underside it was reinforced where the reinforcement was broken, sanded and skimmed.

This poor hood been through Hell. Dallas lost it warming up the car in Maryland 6 or 7 years ago, when the car was black. Its been repaired so many times that it weighs more than a metal hood. On Thursday I took it to a friend who owns a body shop. He says still needs about ten hours worth of putty, sanding and three coats of high build primer before the paint. I should be picking up next Tuesday Morning, and put it on in the afternoon.

The Thug had its oil changed, interior cleaned, and aluminum tank and weight boxes polished. Valves were run, header bolts tightened, and plugs looked over. After the hood is reattached, the slicks will get swapped, the car washed and wheels polished by my Shop Rat (a 70-year-old Latino who is strong like Bull) and my Assistant Shop Rat (youngest daughter Hope, who goes to College in morning and works four hours in evening). I also got Summit racing to swap out my 16v battery charger.
    The Stacker

I took it to get inspected today and renewed the registration. Shop Rat washed it. Assistant Shop Rat cleaned out the cabinets and washed the shelves. She'll polish the wheels and scrub down pit mat. Have a few repairs to make, like reattaching the rear strap hanger, the fire bottle holder and gluing up some pads for the straps to bang against. The Coach is cleaned in and out and full of 15 gallons of DEF.
    The Screamin' Woody

If you've been following the progress at www.screaminwoody.com , you know the car is pretty close to finished. The underside stripped and painted, new fuel system, new 00 battery cables, new wiring, back compartment finished in spatter paint, new fuel cell and weight boxes, rear end rebuilt, transmission rebuilt, converter freshened and new Lexan. We're waiting on the rotating to arrive so Damon can build the engine. I hope to bring the car to the Hot Rod Reunion in June.

Today, I took the tailgate to Tasco and had them match the color to a quart of single stage paint. The engine compartment was wet sanded with 400 grit and the first coat of red sprayed.
    60 Plymouth Post

Moving on to my street cars, I've had this car for many years. In the last year or two, the interior was pulled and floor sanded to bare metal before getting a couple coats of POR, and new interior made from Indian Blankets I bought in New Mexico.

I bought a 8.75" rear end out of a 68 Newport and rebuilt it with new brakes. The understide was also taken to bare metal, painted with POR15, and new rear end installed.

The Leaning tower of power and three on tree yanked and a bad ass aluminum head 383 built.

That engine and a yet to be purchased Passon Performance 5-Speed 833 will be installed. The car will be wrapped to look like Richard Petty took his NASCAR from 1960 after the season and drag it out back to let 58 years of weather beat it up. This brings me to what was recently done, and that was to paint the engine compartment Petty Blue before the engine goes in. The front end was also rebuilt last week.
    1978 Dodge Magnum GT

I've owned 9 Magnum XEs, but this is the only Magnum GT I ever seen in person. I've owed it for about 16 years. I'm in the process of selling what I don't drive, so this whole car has been gone through to make run like new.

The driver's seat was looking worn, but not ripped.

So I Cleaned the leather and redyed it red.

Last week top coated the leather. It looks pretty damn good.
    1964 Imperial Convertible

For the last 40 years I've always had a big Chrysler convertible. There's nothing like cruising down a country road at 70 with the top down in a big barge. First I had a 67 Newport, then a 64 300 and then a 65 300. About 15 years ago I bought this off the original owner old lady, who was in a nursing home. We've been going through it to fix anything not perfect. I intend to keep this car forever. The driver's seat was a little rough, so I bought some leather repair and green dye.

It took about 10 coats to cover the repair. It still needs top coat. The closest match was a Ford color called Evergreen. Its a little too blue, so I ordered another pint so all of the interior can be done.
    and Finally

I managed to mow five acres before the sun set, getting the Zero-turn stuck in the mud and having to pull it out with the John Deere.

Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

• as seen at www.ScreaminWoody.com

No, no motor yet. Still waiting on the rotating to get delivered to the Machine Shop. However, some progress was made to prepare for the engine's insertion.
      Black paint was scuffed
      car wrapped in Plastic
      Hit with a coat of prime
      Hit with first coat 2nd through 5th coats plastic and tape removed - wheels and tires on
      Hood installed Still to come

• Transmission and torque converter have been freshened and waiting for the engine to get assembled.
      • New braided fuel line and 00 battery cable has been run to front, and will get connected to it's under-hood components.
      • Rear bumper ready to be installed.
      • Cage painted red
      • Red Leather/Vinyl dye and adhesion promoter ordered, and will be applied over the previously beige/gray seats. After a top coat they'll get installed.
      • New belts will be ordered closer to go time.
      • Engine should be ready to go in this time next month.
      • The front body parts installed
      • The car cleaned up and off to get the cage installed.

Stay tuned to this site for further updates.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	266413

The NMCA race in Commerce, GA is coming up, so a lot of the focus has been on getting ready for that. Today, it was on the lift having the underside inspected and tightened. The torque converter bolts were pulled and had some Locktite applied, and then the death grip applied. A couple of small leaks were addressed, and all nuts and bolts tightened. The passenger seat was pulled and weighed (36 pounds) and thread-certs pressed in the floorboards so I can quickly remove the seat without help, and without having to climb under the car.

Comment

• I am impressed by the dye job on the Magnum seat. Can you tell me what exact products were used? I have absolutely no idea how you stay on top of this many projects at once. Thanks for taking the time and effort to document all this, I enjoy following.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelbycharger View Post
            I am impressed by the dye job on the Magnum seat. Can you tell me what exact products were used? I have absolutely no idea how you stay on top of this many projects at once. Thanks for taking the time and effort to document all this, I enjoy following.
            We're your destination for automotive leather dye and other products to maintain your leather items. Browse our popular car leather dye kits and more today.

Comment

• Thanks! I never heard of this company but exploring their website is a real eye opener! After seeing your results I will become a customer.

Comment

• So we're at Atlanta Dragway, and it's raining - so its a good time to catch up on what;s been goin on since last week's post.
                Racing

I'll start with racing. I loaded up Tuesday morning and Deb, I, Smith & Wesson left at half past noon. That's 12:30pm for digital Snowflakes. We drove to just north of Hammond, LA (350 miles) at about 7pm, and spent the night in a Walmart parking lot . We left the next morning at 9am and drove the remaining 550 miles, arriving at the staging area of the track at 8pm. The track started letting us in at 7:30am. By 11am my pit was setup, credentials established, and car teched in.

On Thursday you can buy two test hits in the afternoon, and I did so. The first was a 9.48 off the trailer. While that's normally OK to run the 9.50 Index, the weather is going to be all over the map and I need to bag a 10th. So I took one of the 37 pound batteries out.

I made a second hit and got a 9.45. I have another trick or two up my sleeve if I need it. So I put the car away for the night. It drizzled and light rained most of the night. It is still 1pm, and they claim that we'll all hit the track at 2pm - but I'm not thinking so. Still light drizzle, track still wet, and this track tends to seep.

We were suppose to have a time trial in the morning, then two of the three Qualifying passes today. Now its down to one Qualifying and no test hits - if that even happens. It needs to stop drizzling and the sun and wind needs to appear for that to happen.
                Update 10pm

The track went hot at 5pm, as they were havinf problems getting the timing to work. They finally gave with right lane not getting an accurate MPH and neither lane getting a 1000' time. We were called at 6pm, but it was almost an hour later that we finally ran because of a lane cleanup.

I went a little more "go for broke" than usual. I usually just try to get in the first Qualifying, then go for perfect in 2nd and 3rd Qualifying. I'm not sure if we'll get another qualify, so I went for broke. It appears everyone had that plan because my 9.510 on a 9.50 index was only good for 3rd after first round. Pretty amazing everyone did so well as the weather was all over the map, the lanes are way different and you can't plan which lane you get, and we sat in our cars for and hour.

Family Grows

Last week, Son number 1's wife gave us Grandson number 4. The wife of his younger brother went into labor a couple of hours later, but Grandson number 5 didn't arrive until the next day. Everyone is doing well.

My youngest daughter is due in October. We're hoping for Granddaughter number 2.
                My Petty Tribute

I have a 1960 Plymouth that I've been building to be a Petty Tribute, that looks like its been sitting out in the fields for 50 years. Click Here is you want to start at the beginning of this build. The latest news is that the motor and transmission has been test fitted and mounts made/tacked in. I'll have a professional come in to weld the mounts in purdy.

Engine is coming back out and the car , and the body will get about 80 hours of wet sanding 400/600 grit; and High Build Primer and more sanding - until the body panels are as smooth as a baby's ass. In June, it has a date with the lady in Indiana to wrap it. I ordered the clutch assembly last night; but I'm still needing to find a decent shifterless steering column and a 4-speed shifter.
                Screamin' Woody

So the wagon is getting there. I'm pretty sure my last post spoke of the new red paint under the hood. My shop Rat and Assistant Shop Rat spent the week getting the over spray off the brand new Lexan, and polishing it up. I took the headers to get blasted and recoated.

After blasting, a ton of pin holes were discovered, so I had to go bring back to the shop to get wet welded up. I'll take them back to the powder coater when I get back home from racing.
                1964 Imperial

Still finishing up the leather on my Imperial convertible. Repaired and dyed the front seat, but the the tint was off a little so we had to coat with adhesion promoter and dye all leather, plastic and vinyl. I had to order more Top Coat last light, so the gloss will happen when I get back.

Well that pretty much catches me up, and just in time as they just came over the squawk box saying that its time to get cars ready, as they project they're going hot in an hour.

Comment

• So in my last post, I was racing in Atlanta - and there was a rain delay. When we resumed and I completed the third of three Qualifying passes -- I had qualified 4th of 25. On the ladder that put me up against Jim Netherland in the first round. A little humor was Jim wearing my T-Shirt.
                  Jim Netherland Sporting a Texas Whale Championship T-Shirt from the DDC in 2015

Jim was gracious enough to give me lane choice and I took the Left as I swear the roll out on the Right lane was quicker and had me red-lighting. Jim runs a 10.5 Index and I run the 9.50 -- so Jim got a 1-second head start. I caught Jim too Quick meaning I must have had a much better light, even though I had bagged a couple of numbers. I blipped at the MPH cone and took the stripe by a few feet. I saw my win light come on and when I got the ticket it was a RT win - .039 to .110. Jim Broke out with a 10.497 and I had a 9.550 at a slow 133mph.

In Round two I had the points leader Mike DiChicco. We both wanted the left lane -- so we flipped - and I lost. The weather turned on us hard, and I had to take any extra weight out of the car. I removed a battery, the weight box lids and the passenger seat -- to shake about 80 pounds.

Neither of us would lift at the stripe and we had a double breakout when Mike took the stripe by three feet.

For the next round I had Kurt Neighbor. With just having a .028 light in the right lane -- I felt I'd figured out how to wait -- and now wanted it. So did Kurt -- so we flipped - and I again lost the flip. The weather was really getting tough and I had nothing else to take out. While Kurt didn't have a great light (.05X) -- mine truly sucked (.090). There wasn't enough steam left in the Thug to catch Kurt and my time was 9.58 to Kurt's 9.55 on the brakes.

It was 7:30pm Sunday night and I wanted to get on the other side of Atlanta while it was still Sunday -- so I rushed to load up and get on the road at 9PM. At about 11:30 I stopped about 50 miles west of Atlanta to spend the night. Up at 6 and back at the Shop in Beasley, TX at 9PM. Tim Frees won the next round against Kurt, and then against Corky Bumpus in the Final. Congrats to Timmy.
                  Back At The Shop

• The trailer was unloaded
                  • The seats of the 64 Imperial are now finished, with the exception of one last coat of semi-gloss clear, which is on order.

Here's a before pick
                  • Engine and transmission stabbed into the Petty Tribute car.
                    • motor mounts made and welded in
                    • transmission mount made
                    • clutch master cylinder mounted
                    • clutch Z-Bar modified
                    • drivetrain yanked back out

• On the Screamin' Woody
                    • Front end metal put on the car - although the red lights need to go inboard
                    • The grey seats have 8 oz of red dye on them -- but I had to order another 8oz to finish
                    • The roll cage is being painted a hammered gold

So that's going to be it for a while. Deb's and my 40th anniversary is coming up -- so we'll be leaving for a couple of weeks in Europe, only to return just in time to make it to the Memphis race.

Comment

• Shop Goin Ons 2nd 1/2 May 2019

Clean lake house garage and boat, finished dying seats in Screamin' Woody, and take the Petty Tribute to get shot with high build primer.

To be honest, I didn't get as much done at the shop as usual – as I spent a week at my lake house.

​Spread 20 bags of mulch in flower beds

Got the boat out of storage, cleaned up and running right

Spring Cleaning on the garages

and sold a couch and love seat I had in one of the garages

And then it was family time for Memorial Weekend. My wife was across country visiting her sister, but my kids and grand-kids came by to keep me company.

Back at the shop

the dying was finished on the seats going into Screamin' Woody

​this is how they looked before dying red

to match the exterior makeover

I loaded up Petty Tribute car to take to get a gallon of high fill primer sprayed on it. It goes to the wrapper in Indiana when I race in Bowling Green (Hot Rod Reunion) in about 10 days.

Got my stacker trailer and a couple of cars ready and listed for sale.

Other than that, it was mostly routine car maintenance, like getting my daughter's truck washed and oil changed today.
                    and then it was family time for Memorial Weekend. My wife was across country visiting her sister, but my kids and grand-kids came by to keep me company.

Comment

• It's been about three weeks since I've posted any update on the shop goin' ons. There have been many, actually so many is the reason why I've not posted much. I'll post what I can remember, but it won't be half. First is the Screamin' Woody The motor is finished…

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	267156 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	267157

Clean out one of the garages. Took all cars out, sprayed bug killer for all the spiders, and washed floors before moving cars back in

Comment

Working...
                        X