Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slicks on backorder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Slicks on backorder

    I was informed by Jegs and Summit, that 36x16x15 Goodyear slicks, in D2a compound, have been on backorder since November, and on a per order list for dispersal when they come in. I could upgrade to the Pro Stock size for another $70 bux each, but they wear lots faster and I might have to adjust gear ratio, shift points, launch RPM etc. It would be cheaper for me to got to a 4.11 gear and 15x33.5Wx15 tire and switch rear gears, than up to the 16" double bead lock wheels ($1450 EACH!), and slicks. I have a borrowed pair of Goodyears and wheels on the trailer walls already if I need them. Good luck racers and all, REMEMBER, "if you lift, you lose!" Frank Hawley to me to me in Houston years ago.
    Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
    "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
    I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

  • #2
    Frank Hawley also told me that "if you lift you lose",


    then added "but if you don't lift when you begin to lose control, you and the car might not live to fight another day."

    http://youtu.be/bwRfHSKosP4
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

    Comment


    • #3
      Frank must have changed his tune later in life. He definitely told me to lift and live to race another day. He totally left out "you lift, you lose"..

      I can say that in my limited racing experiences, every time I have been in a situation where I needed to lift........ I had already lost.
      His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
      2006 Dodge 2500 CTD


      Comment


      • #4
        I'm too old and too damn good looking to wreck. Also can't afford it. There have been a couple of times in Eliminations I might should have lifted, but can only really remember lifting once in Eliminations, in Beadento when I ran a stick shift after the jet car.

        i will lift at the drop of the hat anymore in time trials or Qualifying, but I honestly can't remember having to lift since I started driving an automatic.
        Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
        Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
        Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

        Comment


        • #5
          geez guys! I shared a memory. A comment made to me after a real bad tire shake run. Remember, Frank was known back in time, to never lift on a tire shake run. I have NEVER made a comment to do anything against safety! AND, I have been known over the years to tell all, to come to peace with yourself with the fact that in ANY race car etc., when you climb in, that it might be the last time that you do. If you can't come to terms with that, DON'T get in the car. Even with all the safety devices and rules thrown on us to protect us, there's never a promise that all will work correctly and save us. I've had 4 new rule changes in my choices of competition alone over the winter. A couple I can see as safety to me, but I was doing already anyway. A couple more as to the safety of spectators. I agree with them all. oh yeah, in the video you posted, did you notice that broken double bead lock wheel that broke and caused the wreck? Even they are NOT fail safe! I rest my case.
          Last edited by hemisatellite; 05-14-2014, 02:01 AM.
          Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
          "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
          I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BK View Post
            I'm too old and too damn good looking to wreck. Also can't afford it. There have been a couple of times in Eliminations I might should have lifted, but can only really remember lifting once in Eliminations, in Beadento when I ran a stick shift after the jet car.

            i will lift at the drop of the hat anymore in time trials or Qualifying, but I honestly can't remember having to lift since I started driving an automatic.
            I haven't had that many times, but when the sun goes down and the track temps drop it's tough getting a skinny tire, stock suspension car down the track.
            His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
            2006 Dodge 2500 CTD


            Comment


            • #7
              First time I thought I was going to crash is when the car lost traction going into 2nd gear (automatic) and got out of the groove and lifted. Got back into the groove and continued on. First mistake. When it shifted into 3rd it drove right to the guard rail and thought for sure things were going to be cooked but managed to stay off of it. Another day, different car, it took a hard left turn after getting into someone's oil I guess and let off and it straightened up just as fast as it got sideways. The first time thinking a crash was coming kinda skeert me but hard left pissed me off.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hemisatellite
                REMEMBER, "if you lift, you lose!" Frank Hawley to me to me in Houston years ago.
                That quote only applies to the Pro categories. Bracket tree racing lives and dies on who will lift at the end and will it be enough win or to much and get sent packing..

                I probably..in my time racing..have only been in maybe 6 or 7 bracket races .. ever..

                My rule...first one there wins...period.. So Franks statement holds up to that rule
                9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

                Member USCCA

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hemisatellite View Post
                  geez guys! I shared a memory. A comment made to me after a real bad tire shake run. Remember, Frank was known back in time, to never lift on a tire shake run. I have NEVER made a comment to do anything against safety! AND, I have been known over the years to tell all, to come to peace with yourself with the fact that in ANY race car etc., when you climb in, that it might be the last time that you do. If you can't come to terms with that, DON'T get in the car. Even with all the safety devices and rules thrown on us to protect us, there's never a promise that all will work correctly and save us. I've had 4 new rule changes in my choices of competition alone over the winter. A couple I can see as safety to me, but I was doing already anyway. A couple more as to the safety of spectators. I agree with them all. oh yeah, in the video you posted, did you notice that broken double bead lock wheel that broke and caused the wreck? Even they are NOT fail safe! I rest my case.
                  I was just bustin the balls
                  Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
                  Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
                  Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

                    Member USCCA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In bracket racing, if you run your number and cut a light, there's no reason to lift unless the other guy is so far behind that you want to make damn sure you don't break out....then you lift lol. So far, I've had two cars that ran the number no matter what and all I had to do was cut a good light.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X