580ci On Dyno

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 580ci On Dyno

Although I didn't have many passes on it, I sent my 2012 motor to get inspected and fixed by the new engine builder after its twin turned into a $30,000 paper weight last year.

Here's it on the Dyno today

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p8TsCfbDDk0?list=UUjavIx4NIBCUtAyY10cS9Mg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Ok, here's the history of this motor, it's a very troubled one

The motor was an aluminum block 580ci with CNC ported Indy 572-13 heads. Built in 2008 and I put it in the Red Coronet in 2009. The first race I went to was at Ennis and it busted rockers and pushrods on the very first pass. The engine builder blamed Jessels as being shit because the little rocker arms were too small of diameter compared to the bolt hole going through them, causing the arms to break at bolt hole. The remedy was to spend another $2,000 on T&D Machine rockers and a couple hundred on pushrods, which I did. I wound up driving the Vitamin C that year.

So the next time out I can't get the car half way down the track in Houston before it runs like shit, and the timing drops 15 degrees. Three times he set the timing and three times it changes. He was too busy with His friends to spent any more time on my engine, and blamed the MSD ignition box, which I replaced with spare that he also said was bad. So I parked the red car and my brother gave me back (I'd let him race it for the event) the Vitamin C to run the event. I got so pissed at the car, I raced the Vitamin C the next year and have never made another pass in the Red Coronet.

Dallas was frustrated with the pulling the engine in and out of the black car chasing down a bad oil leaks the builder kept saying was fixed, and that engine ran like shit and so he was about to give up racing until I ordered an engine like Doug Duell's, converted the red car to an automatic, and had Matt Wright replace the ladder bars that were poorly done. Dallas has driven that car since.

Meanwhile I had the first engine builder look at the three year old engine yet to get down the track motor, and he found a problem in the new MSD distributor he'd locked out. I put that engine in the Whale, and its first race was Indy in 2011. I won the first round due to a red light, but the car ran like shit, and it looked like it couldn't be fixed.

Back home the engine is pulled and the head found to have a worm groove running between two cylinders. The engine builder had it fixed and rebuilt the motor. I ran it in the car for all of 2012, and although I had a good year (until the last race at Indy when my .080 light gave the round to 00 Joe and knocked me from 1st to 4th with double points), the engine was pretty gutless for such an expensive engine.

i then ran a twin to this motor, when it blew up on my 6th or 7th pass. Since this motor was the twin to the one that blew up, I sent it to Indy to tear down and build right.

Kenny found that the 12.5 compression was way too low for 572 heads, the wrong roller (straight bar instead if offset bar) rockers were installed, the heads were incorrectly repaired, and the Milodon was pan costing HP. I also decided to eliminate the crank trigger and go to a belt drive since everyone else runs one.

Friday I got a call that the motor was only making 849hp on the Dyno, and that was disappointing. I asked what could be done for more hp, but without high maintenence (like replacing springs every 40 passes), and he felt replacing the 1.55 T&D rockers (the original engine builder always insisted on the lower ratio rockers) with 1.7 Jessels might help. I told him the problem I'd had with the last Jessels, and was told they've never seen anything like that.

Dyno sheets to follow.

Comment

believe it or not the 540s make more, but I'm told I might have some more in better carbs. It cost over $9k just to straighten it out. I sure hope I have better luck with it.

Comment

I have 2.125/2.250 Custom step headers that might be worth a few ponies, and might try Holleys over the winter. I'll be heading up to pick it up on Sunday, and to drop off Dallas to get freshened up.

Comment

Working...
        X