440 combo options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 440 combo options

okay so I have a friend that just inherited a 71 e body through his family he is not very knowledgeable (about motor/cars) and is on a shoestring budget but basically long story short the car got torn apart in the 80's and never put back together so he is just trying to basically clean up the mess

he has a 66 440 block with 30 overbore that is very rusty 516 heads with a half a$$ valve job never ran also very rusty forged crank, stock rods (arp bolts)balanced and old 1980s era TRW 2295 pistons at 30 he also has access to a pair of 906 heads with stainless steel valves good valve job ready to go basically and some 452 cores what would be a wise game plan for a pump gas burger joint type deal also thinking e-85 might be an option

Thanx for any help
    "The democracy will cease to exist
    when you take away from those who are willing to work
    and give to those who would not."
    Thomas Jefferson:yeah that:

Are the bores of the 440 rusty too? Those old TRW pistons can be made to work well but they are heavy. They are also popups. What do the 516 heads have for exhaust valves? The normally have a small 1.60 where as the 906's have a 1.74 but the 516's are closed chambered and the 906's are open chamber but the 516's will produce more compression with the popup pistons. For example, I have a pair on a flat top motor and the pistons are .050 in the hole and the CR is 10.3-1 so with the popups, you will be much closer to 12-1. With the 906's and composition gaskets, it will be in the low/mid 11-1. The 516's also have small ports and will be restrictive unless ported and a 1.74 exhaust valve added. Sounds like he has parts that may be a bit much for a newbie to the hot rod scene. What's 452 cores? 440 cranks and 400 blocks?

Comment

What was the question?
      His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
      2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Trannyman View Post
        What was the question?
        440 combo options.....

Comment

Ok so thanks for the replies
          dont take this the wrong way cranky but I pretty much had a good understanding of the parts I will double check valve sizes and the big part of the problem is crank rods pistons and machined parts of block are tittys so I cant just shotpeen it and go from there im stuck buffing tapping and drilling it looks like I guess a better ? Would be where ie what would the $ be focussed for the best budget build
          im thinking the 452 heads or since the 906s ate ready to go mabey better has to run on crappy cali 91/87
          thats why I was thinking e85 might be possible also
          the future has aluminum head's and a new motor for way more power mabey even a 8-71 but right now its just looking to get the best possible 440 to get it on the street
          thanks agian for any help

Comment

Somebody built a fresh (machined)short block and set heads on it then let it sit since the late 80s

Comment

Working...
            X