Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its Alive..... Its Alive.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Its Alive..... Its Alive.....

    If all will remember, back last fall my Barracuda had a small one hole problem... Lost a valve and punctured a piston and cracked the block... Well got it back on Wednesday late in the afternoon... Started working on it about noon on Thursday and worked until about five. Worked on Friday until about two and had it running... Had to sleeve the block, repair the head and put a new set of pistons in... Plus all the other items for a normal freshening..... Did learn something that had been bugging us all or at least we think we know now.... The engine was freshened before last season.... The first time out it had this giant wheel stand and ran app .2 slower than it ran before... I thought to myself that the engine guy had really done a great job, he found me a LOT of low end torque.... This continued every pass.... Giant wheel stand and .2 slower... The car ran almost the same number every time but it was .2 slower... I said it was due to the wheel stands... And the wheel stands were from the new found low end torque.... Well, when the owner of the motor shop tore down the engine he found the cam retarded 4 degrees... He was embarrassed to no end... The guy that had degreed the cam had done it wrong.... Anyway, he doesn't work there anymore and the owner did all the work on my engine and he is a old school Mopar guy so I don't think we will have that problem again..... So, all I have to do is tidy up some things, put a new set of belts in, can't believe its been two years since I put them it!!!!! And get a drip leak fixed on the dip stick.... I always put a ring of silicone around the dip stick before I put it into the tranny but this time I still have a drip... and we all know that one drop of tranny fluid will get you "backed off" the starting line... and my luck it would be the finial round ...... So, will fix it right and be done with it.... Would be a LOT easier without the headers on but oh well..... Any way as the old saying goes .... SH** Happens.....
    Mack Reeves
    FS/C 2377
    2009 DragPak U 426-004

  • #2
    Cool nice to see a track report soon.

    Comment


    • #3
      hope you get everything working right, Are you going to Adel,ga to the mopar southern nationals. Ill be there.
      my dilemma was on sat at the mopars at the rock . At the starting line ,didn't even make a pass down the track, stalled the car up and all of sudden the track official came running over and told me to shut the car off.Then I heard a BANG and shut it off to find ou that my driveshaft broke. I got out of the car and saw that the front u joint was there the back one was there ,but there was a hole in the drive shaft and it was apart. so trying to get everything fixed to go racing at the mopar race at Farmington may 10.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MoparMack
        And get a drip leak fixed on the dip stick.... I always put a ring of silicone around the dip stick before I put it into the tranny but this time I still have a drip... and we all know that one drop of tranny fluid will get you "backed off" the starting line... and my luck it would be the finial round ...... So, will fix it right and be done with it.... Would be a LOT easier without the headers on but oh well..... Any way as the old saying goes .... SH** Happens.....
        Velcro some quilted SorbIts in the tranz blanket...zip tie one around the tranz tail shaft.. Change after every race..No starting line backouts ..Zip tie one on the overflow as well..
        9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

        Member USCCA

        Comment


        • #5
          I got backed out because I forgot to turn off the AC once lol. At least it was only during TT's. Race cars don't have AC?? Sure they do!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mpars440 View Post
            hope you get everything working right, Are you going to Adel,ga to the mopar southern nationals. Ill be there.
            my dilemma was on sat at the mopars at the rock . At the starting line ,didn't even make a pass down the track, stalled the car up and all of sudden the track official came running over and told me to shut the car off.Then I heard a BANG and shut it off to find ou that my driveshaft broke. I got out of the car and saw that the front u joint was there the back one was there ,but there was a hole in the drive shaft and it was apart. so trying to get everything fixed to go racing at the mopar race at Farmington may 10.

            Yes, I do plan to be there... There may be my first race with the 426 in my Challenger..... Hope to see you there!!!! Good luck on getting that drive shaft repaired.... Look me up in Georgia!!!!
            Mack Reeves
            FS/C 2377
            2009 DragPak U 426-004

            Comment


            • #7
              Thumbs up! Mack.

              I got shutdown once because of leaky fluid. Back in the pits I discovered that my 1-piece tranny case had become 2 pieces and fluid was leaking out the crack in the case.
              Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
              Lifer #49
              Member & webmaster, The Mopar Club of San Diego

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by zij576ca View Post
                Thumbs up! Mack.

                I got shutdown once because of leaky fluid. Back in the pits I discovered that my 1-piece tranny case had become 2 pieces and fluid was leaking out the crack in the case.
                That was a good call! Saved the car?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hemibee68 View Post
                  That was a good call! Saved the car?
                  No damage to the car. Was the 2nd trans case I broke. Finally figured out that the broken cases were a result of improperly securing (i.e. tying it down ) the trans in the car. Restricting it's ability to move with the engine resulted in the case cracking. The car is my 69 Runner - the same one I'm in the process of making streetable again.
                  Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                  Lifer #49
                  Member & webmaster, The Mopar Club of San Diego

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by zij576ca View Post
                    No damage to the car. Was the 2nd trans case I broke. Finally figured out that the broken cases were a result of improperly securing (i.e. tying it down ) the trans in the car. Restricting it's ability to move with the engine resulted in the case cracking. The car is my 69 Runner - the same one I'm in the process of making streetable again.
                    So true.... Tie them down tight and something has to give... Usually the case!!!
                    Mack Reeves
                    FS/C 2377
                    2009 DragPak U 426-004

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yup heard guys that put solid tranny mounts in had that problem.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        solid trans mounts should never be used w/o a motor plate to stop torque twist, and horizontal struts to stop front to rear movement.
                        Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                        "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                        I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X