No announcement yet.

Big Block Elephant ears - where to buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Block Elephant ears - where to buy?

Where besides Hensley (their web site is completely worthless -- and always has been), can I buy Mopar Big block Elephant ears on line?

I've search all over the internet and can't find a link to anyone selling them.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel and make my own, and I don't want to cut and grind a motor plate. There has to be someone selling these things on-line!
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Originally posted by BK
    Where besides Hensley (their web site is completely worthless -- and always has been), can I buy Mopar Big block Elephant ears on line?

I've search all over the internet and can't find a link to anyone selling them.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel and make my own, and I don't want to cut and grind a motor plate. There has to be someone selling these things on-line!
    These aren't "ears" but....
    Comp Engineering......C4008 Chrysler 383-440, 426 Hemi
    C4009 Chrysler 383-440, 426 Hemi

Or....Magnum Force Race Car Fab. Inc

Or....Campbell Enterprises
    BFRACN

Comment

I am not having any luck looking them up either. Everything is a motor plate.
      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

Elephant ears

GUYS GUYS GUYS It ain't no big deal to make them! AND to use them as your water flow restriction in place of a restrictor insinde your themostat housing! Seems funny to me that someoe comes here looking for help but doesn't accept PM's

If anybody wants "elephant ears" for thier b or rb motors in b-body cars, let me know, send me a template, and I'll make 'em fer ya, a little materials, freight money, and a tip is all that I ask for. I don't bet on race horses so that tip doesn't count.

I've machined MANY of these "ears" for people over the years starting about 1978. Only ONE has ever only cracked, in Phil Roar's IHRA SS/DA record holder car, not at an IHRA sanctioned meet. I can weld a "stiffener" down the middle of them front or rear if you provide clearance dimensions. If I do weld in a stiffener, and it doesn't fit, I'm sorry you measured wrong, but ship it back at your expense and back to you too, I'll grind and fit it to your specs.

Motor plates are great, but not all of use can afford them or our clearances won't work. I have been working and trying many types of only Mopars for years, only had a couple I had to modify and they worked. I want to keep the cost affordable for even the low budget guys like me. It would be nice seeing my name on a few race cars instead of me putting other peoples names on mine!
        I'm going to get into mid plates and trans mounts soon.

Keep the faith please!!!
        Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
        "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
        I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

• Roadrunner70
          Roadrunner70 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am looking for a set of Big Block Elephant ears.

Can you still make them?

I've also been making them for years. All I do is buy the material in the width and thickness I need and the rest is easy and having a milling machine makes the job a breeze. I may have a spare set on the shelf and if I do, they are yours....

Comment

I couple of reasons I'm looking to buy instead of make is

* I don't have a cad system or water jet/plasma table/mill
          * I don't even have a template available without removing them from a car -- and put them back on
          * As cheap as they are -- there's no sense reinventing the wheel. Some things you can order on-line for far less time and hassle that running around to get the materials, draw out the template, cut it out, and smooth out. I can make my own beer too -- but it is easier to go to the Stop-N-Rob and buy a six banger.

As far as a motor plate -- most offset the engine differently than mine, and there is an issue with access to my gear drive and other items on my engine. While I can afford one (they don't cost any more) I don't need and engine plate -- the Elephant work great on all of my cars and allows for easier engine swaps between all of my cars.

I tried Magnum Force -- and their web site was dead.

I'll try Campbell and Comp.

Cranky -- thanx, let me know.

Comment

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/motorplates.php

Not at Campbell and Comp are plates and not ears

Comment

I have a set of mancini brand in the garage new in the package don't think I even opened them. 1st set i cut to short then bought new but when i got down too it
              I used these just set right in and weld tabs.
              The A body ones fit right in an A body and the B body ones right in a b body!

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/moplstmi.html

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

I'll did those ears out and take a picture. the first ones I was fitting I had to drill the bolt holes out just a smig to get them to line up on the block.
              Does not look like mancini's carry the ears any more.
              http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/moplstmi.html

Comment

Nice crank trigger alt bracket

If I can't get elephant ears -- I'll most likely cut up a Mancinni Plate.

I also rather the elephant ears in case of water pump gasket leaks at the track. Easier to line up one side at a time.

Comment

I'll sell my ears!

Comment

I kin hear jus fine with the ears I gots!

And I found them. They are the ones that I've been using as templates so they have some shelf rash. They are also 1/4" thick.
                    Last edited by Cranky; 11-24-2012, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Cranky, if you have your mill or access to one, you could make Dave a set.
                      It might not be a bad thing to make a spare set first before getting rid of them....Just saying.
                      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
                      Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by gsmagnum View Post
                        Cranky, if you have your mill or access to one, you could make Dave a set.
                        It might not be a bad thing to make a spare set first before getting rid of them....Just saying.
                        Already drew out a pattern if he wants to wait for a new set or take these, it doesn't matter. He may want them in 3/8ths" instead too. I have a small machine shop at home...a 10x50 mill and a 15" lathe and few other do dads.

Comment

I appreciate all of the help -- but I called Hensely (took a couple of calls and he had to go back in the shop to see if he had some) so I'd get the exact same as I've ordered in the past -- and got his last two sets that Herb McCandless made up for him 15 years ago.

I have a friend with a plasma cutting table -- and I'm going to have him map these, and cut me out a couple of sets with cutouts for my oil line, slots to pass plug wires through, holes to mount my coil and evac puke tank -- and maybe a little design work -- and then send them out to get powdercoated (outside the oil pump area).

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	266648

Man this is an old thread. I started going to full front plates from Mancini.

Comment

Working...
                            X